Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T Bucket Updates

Neshkoro

I have done a few things to my Bucket. Here are some photos.
New top. Mostly done.
New front shocks. Chrome from Speedway.
New front wheels and tires. 15" X 6" wide. American Torque Thrust w/ BFG tires.
Tpo frame attachment.jpg New chrome shocks.jpg Toe-in gauge-1.JPG Toe-in gauge-3.jpg Top frame-3.jpg Top with new front wheels and tires.jpg Top-mostly finished.jpg
Front end alignment
The toe-in gauge was made from 1/2" conduit. Each leg is drilled and tapped for a 1/4-20 stud at the height of the center line of the front wheel. It's used like a giant micrometer. I set it to the width of the back of the front tires. Then moved it to the front and compared the air gap. Kept adjusting it until there was 1/8" difference front to back. Back being bigger. It was very cheap and it worked great.
The top bows were also made from 1/2" conduit.

Neshkoro - Would you please post a picture of how your top attaches to the windshield?

The head rail is made from a piece of 1 X 2 (3/4 X 1-1/2")SDC10839.JPG poplarSDC10839.JPG ar just a bit longer than the width of the windshield. There is a slot milled along its length and then capped on the ends to prevent it from sliding off the windshield. The windshield frame is made from 16 Ga. stainless steel formed in a U shape. Approximately 1/2" X 1/2" and wraps around the windshield glass. The head rail fits over that. There are 2) 1/8" thick aluminum tabs, one on each end, to hook under the windshield frame to prevent it from slipping off. The head rail is held in place by two cams that clamp the head rail to the top of the windshield frame. The top material is held to the head rail with snaps.
The explanation is long winded but I hope that explains it.
Bill

Neshkoro, can you put a better picture of the cams and in the correct orientation to the windshield? What keeps them locked into place?

Here are a couple more pictures. Maybe this will help. The first picture shows the tab and the cam. The tab is the shiny piece at the top of the photo. The cam is shown in the open position. The third photo shows the cam in the closed position. The tab protrudes just about 1/16" into the slot in the wood. The cam, when locked, pushes on the windshield frame. When the cam is locked, it prevents the head rail from lifting up because of the tab being hooked below the windshield frame. The last photo is a cross section sketch of the whole thing.

SDC10841.JPG SDC10842.JPG SDC10843.JPG SDC10841.JPG SDC10842.JPG SDC10843.JPG

Attachments

• SDC10845.JPG
    SDC10845.JPG
    361.6 KB · Views: 52
If I did it again I would do it a little differently. Not quite sure what.
Now would be a good time to have a door!

Looks good to me. I like the new wheels Bill, aren't you glad you decided to keep it? The top and wheels are all that thing needed to spruce it up.:thumbsup:

Pushrod,
I agree with what you said. I like the new look. The tires made a big difference on how it handles. The wheels were a bonus. I thought the tires might look a little big. I'm sure I'll get used to them. I bought the wheels and tires from Summit. They mount and balance them for free. I didn't want to take a chance of buying from different places and having the wheels damaged when the tires were mounted.
Readjusting the camber and toe in made a big difference in things. The top was just a fun thing.
I readjusted the steering so the steering box was centered when going straight. 6 " of snow on the ground prevented me from testing that.
There's always next spring.
Bill

Before & after . . .

roadster-4-jpg.14683
top-with-new-front-wheels-and-tires-jpg.15661

Thanks Spanky. The two photos really show the difference. That was a good way to make a comparison.
Bill

The bottom photo shoes just how short the car really is. It pretty much fits between the lines of the width of a parking space! Go figure.

Neshkoro - Nice design. I have no head rail/top edge frame on the windshield, so if anyone has installed a top in that setup, please post a picture!

Neshkoro - Nice design. I have no head rail/top edge frame on the windshield, so if anyone has installed a top in that setup, please post a picture!

Don't have a picture but the headboard would be supported by side stanchions mounted to the sides of the windshield frame.topbow.jpg

The insert picture are the stanchions and attach to the wooden header and the sides of the windshield frame.

Don't have a picture but the headboard would be supported by side stanchions mounted to the sides of the windshield frame.View attachment 15669

The insert picture are the stanchions and attach to the wooden header and the sides of the windshield frame.
So I have to mount a piece of wood in between the two from cross bars? The frame already has two floating mounts welded to it. I can get a pic if that will help.

You don't have to use wood but like in the picture, all conduit with a way for the brackets to attach. And there will/needs to be a gap between the windshield glass and what ever you use or it will crack the glass. Or if you use a wood header with a channel and some kind of rubber gasket to keep it off the glass, it should be o/k and just lock it down with the stanchions.. Just cut out for the posts end caps to go into the wood. also.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back