Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"T" top mounting point

butch27

Does anyone have an idea of how to mount the top that does NOT include putting that big bolt and nut right through the side of the body and almost all buckets do? Maybe something like Ivo's car.

I've seen a few that used the same bracket that they use on Boats for the Bimini Tops. It sits on top the edge of the body.

Marine Top Deck Hinge

A friend has a '32 that he paid big bucks for a fold up top from some guy in mich. , anyway, the bracket that holds the top on the side is removable, it's somewhat "j" shaped , fits in a receiver inside the body , under the upholstery held in place w/ a button head bolt, mounting point for top is outside the body . Hope I've described this accuratly .

dave

Butch,o.k. let me try again, if you took a piece of flat stock and held it against the inside ,approximantley where the "normal" mounting point for the top would be, then bent it over the top lip of the body and down, then made the bow attachment on the flat stock outside the body......, closer to understanding? wish i could draw on this thing!!

dave

The trick is to have something that dose not stick up were your arm is relacxing on body lip when top is not on/up.
My "A" roadster body has a stock top bracket that is right were you'd put your arm if your a all cut down rod and that makes you sit hight then in a stock roadster.

The early T's had a top pivot that bolted to the inside of the body and "laid" over the top. Maybe this would help.

Ron

Somewhere around 1914. There where 2 styles. The short one goes thru the body and the long one goes over the top of the side. The one you want has 2 flanges for screws where it sit on top of the body.

Ron

A small socket plate in rim of cockpit to stick top bow in,can be a 3/8in.pin in end of top bow that then goes into 3/8in. hole in small plate[socket]on lip of cockpit,rest is held by snaps and turnsnapins. header bar across windshield top is wood [oak] with locks to hold down to post.
A tonue is better for most "T",the tops get really messed up at any speed over 30 mph or so,and man there hard to get in and out with top on.
There few if any that fold down so ya can run at highway speed on buckets.
I made a folder top many years back,cus i was working then for a boat bimi top out fit.

My top made it easy to get in and out of. As it was tall enough and the main bow was back out of the way, pretty much as CCR still does theirs now... BUT - I still have an outside/through the body mounting setup, I don't mind that older look myself... Oh by the way, I drive the freeways at 60 - 80 with no top problems, but then again mine is built sorta like a Carson top, all padded... :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back