Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Texas registeration

TexasT

Any of you guys with one of TP tbuckets, have any trouble registering your T in Texas using the title that you get with the frame? Mine shows on the title to be a 2007 Total T Roadster. On the TX DMV website it says that a replica has to pass emissions test for the year of the car. Any help would be appreciated.

Technically what you got with you T was not a title but an MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin). That doesn't alter the fact that the car is still being shown as a 2007 car. As far as I can tell Texas hasn't passed the SEMA Model which makes registration much easier. According to the SEMA Legislative Alert the bill is being attached to another bill that has already been passed but is waiting for a senate committee's consideration. There is a list of state legislators on the SEMA Action Network site that will tell you who supports the bill. If your legislator in on the list contact him/her for the status of the bill. If your legislator isn't on the list contact him/her to encourage his/her support.

The SEMA Model is a two edged sword. On one hand it makes it easier to register a car in states that require emissions inspections but the trade off is the driving restrictions that, if taken literally as written in the model, can restrict the enjoyment of your ride. (The definition of "occasional transportation" is subjective.) Not all states that have passed street rod legislation have adopted the SEMA Model as written but most have. Personally I don't like the model. My cars were daily drivers with the only restrictions being those placed on me by the insurance company. In my opinion SEMA sold us out when they put the language in that defined the driving restrictions. But they had to do this to appease the heavily populated states where emissions are a problem. I live in Iowa. The worst pollution we have to put up with here are the aromas emanating from the factory hog farms. As far as I can tell all we gained here was the ability to register the vehicle as the year it represents.

I'm in the advanced planning stages of my next car and I am considering taking the vehicle to another state where I have a good friend or relative and where registration is easier and having it titled there. There will be a hassle having it registered and titled in their name and then transferring the title to me but in the long run it may be easier. I have a friend up here who is a mechanic and he knew someone at DOT back when I built my T in the late 90s. He was able to get all of the paperwork completed to get my T titled and registered while the car was still under construction. I don't know if he still has that friend but I will be checking with him before I have to take more drastic steps.

Any of you guys with one of TP tbuckets, have any trouble registering your T in Texas using the title that you get with the frame? Mine shows on the title to be a 2007 Total T Roadster. On the TX DMV website it says that a replica has to pass emissions test for the year of the car. Any help would be appreciated.
Where in Texas do you live?

Do you have emission testing in San Antonio? I know there is in Austin, and Houston, I thought you were exempt from that there.

Texas Emission Test Counties

It just sucks to think that we sunk so much time and money in this car, and maybe not even get to drive it.

It just sucks to think that we sunk so much time and money in this car, and maybe not even get to drive it.

I'd go down and talk to them in person maybe you can do a year of engine registration. There has to be something, there is a lot of them on the road.
If your friends with someone at an inspection station, maybe they can give you some insight to the rules and regs, without the bureaucrats getting involved. Each window at Vehicle Reg will give you their interpretation of the laws.

Don't fret it, It can be done. I have mine titled and registered as a 1923 Ford Roadster.

GFIGMS just did his and he didn't need emissions testing.

BTW, Texas had the SEMA bill pending, but it died before reaching the floor, so it may be awhile before Texas has it.

I know there are so many running around here to, it just seems there would be an easier way being that its not drivin every day. Thanks for all the encouragement guys

Is there an update to this thread? I want to know any little bit of info to reg and title my build as a 23.

Mine is also titled as a '23 Ford and I will be getting an antique plate. It can be done.

Good on ya but I live in Harris county and those county people are a real bunch a buttheads. If you paid $10,000 for a car and they think you should of paid $15,000 for it they will try and charge you tax on 15,000. Their a real nice bunch a bozo's.

After an effort that stretched into two legislative sessions, SEMA-model legislation to create a vehicle registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles (including kit cars and replicas) and provide for special license plates was signed into law by Governor Rick Perry. Slated to go into effect on September 1, 2011, the new law defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. The law also allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling and registration criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model-year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble. In addition, the law only holds street rods, customs and replicas to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title and exempts them from the state’s emissions inspection program.
For details, contact Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org.

It can be done. Mine is titled as a 1920 Conv ( DMV lady missed calling it a roadster).

Go to Ebay and search historical documents. Take a look and see if the gears in your brain start to spin.

If there aren't any on Ebay, try the HAMB classifieds.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back