Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Texas registeration

I'd be very careful trying to use a purchased title. After what happened in Calif, the states are looking more closely at old titles. I'd try to go the SEMA law route first.

I don't remember all the details but they cracked down on people for switching VIN numbers. It is illegal. Boyd Coddington was wrapped up in that mess that is the only reason I ever heard of it. People were given a set amount of time to register their vehicles properly (thanks to SEMA) or the jail times and fines were to begin.

OK,
Just looked it up and it was a good read. Makes the titles that are out there for sale look like a good way to lose ones butt.

A safety inspection would \ should not be that big of a thing ... might be an eye opener to some. An emission check is another thing. These cars, most anyway, are not computer controlled and have no provision for same. I know I was really upset when they told me I had to register mine as a 2008 and meet all safety and emissions standards of any vechicle made that same year.

I had my spirit 27 titled in 2010 in Texas as an AV (assembled vehicle)replica 27.I called the DPS waiver station in Pearland and made an appointment for an inspection.The people there were really nice
and made it very easy to do.The inspector check the MSO document,insurance paper and car out ( no emmisions testing) put an inspection sticker on it and gave me a paper to take to the tax office for the registration and plates.At the tax office it was a little more difficult the people there weren't as up on the process.After talking to a couple people which one of them wanted to know the value of the car for taxes.I told them that I had already payed 8.25% taxes on the parts used to build the car and I didn't have to pay taxes on it again.They call another woman over who brought the plates and some more papers.I surrendered the MSO paper to her paid around $150 bucks got the plates and got a title in the mail a few weeks later.I have gotten it inspected again since then without a problem.I hope this helps.

A safety inspection would \ should not be that big of a thing ... might be an eye opener to some. An emission check is another thing. These cars, most anyway, are not computer controlled and have no provision for same. I know I was really upset when they told me I had to register mine as a 2008 and meet all safety and emissions standards of any vechicle made that same year.

Not to start a fight but the inspection process was not demised for safety but to make the state and local businesses money. Even brand new cars from the factory have to have an inspection sticker in Texas (I smell a rat). You remember how you used to get charged every year to have your headlights adjusted? They had to outlaw businesses from doing that because it was a farce to make money. At this time I would like like applaud the state of Iowa, when the inspection process came their way the people smelled a rat and told their leaders, "screw you we ain't buying this, get rid of it" and they did make it go away.

I thought I ought to chime in here as an ex-Texas State Inspector. I never really enjoyed doing it, and we definitey wern't making any money doing it. At the time, a sticker cost $7.75, and I believe we got$1.25 of that (yeah, it's been a while!). Our labor rate, at the,time waz $45.00 an hour, so we DEFINITELY wern't making any money! The only reason we did it was convience for our customers. The only reason I did

I thought I ought to chime in here as an ex-Texas State Inspector. I never really enjoyed doing it, and we definitey wern't making any money doing it. At the time, a sticker cost $7.75, and I believe we got$1.25 of that (yeah, it's been a while!). Our labor rate, at the,time waz $45.00 an hour, so we DEFINITELY wern't making any money! The only reason we did it was convience for our customers. The only reason I did
(Bah, stupid cell phone!) Did it was because I was one of a VERY few inspectors who knew originalhow to deal with our cars. At the time, our cars were only required to have the original installed safety equipment (ie. One taillight, two headlights

(Bah, stupid cell phone!) Did it was because I was one of a VERY few inspectors who knew originalhow to deal with our cars. At the time, our cars were only required to have the original installed safety equipment (ie. Oe taillight, two headlights
Mechanical brakes, etc.) Talk to your local car enthusiasts to see if there is an old car friendly inspector in your area (same goes for dmv/ tax accessors office. "

Back when I built mine in 92 or so, I bought a 1915 New York vehicle registration from from a place in Maryland. Was not a problem at all back then. But nowadays I believe the Texas Tax Assessor Office is alot more strict after what all happened in CA. All I can say is Good Luck and let us know what happens.

That September 2011 legislation was never passed, it sat on the table due to cascading events and the multitude of people and entities it affected. The Street Rod legislation was just passed in April 2012, and released to the public a couple of weeks ago, see the links below. My TP 23T is titled and registered as a 1923, no emissions and minimum safety inspection requirements, no parking brake, one tail light, no turn signals, etc. On the second link, click on the "attachment" links in the document.

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2012...cy-for-street-rod-and-custom-vehicle-law-cont

http://www.txdmv.gov/publications/bulletins/2012/004-12.htm

Any of you guys with one of TP tbuckets, have any trouble registering your T in Texas using the title that you get with the frame? Mine shows on the title to be a 2007 Total T Roadster. On the TX DMV website it says that a replica has to pass emissions test for the year of the car. Any help would be appreciated.
Where are you in san Antonio

Where are you in san Antonio

That was 10 years ago. I'm sure he's got some miles on his car now.:D But this thread did need a bump because there's good info in it.

With over 28 years in the automotive field in Texas, I never found Texas to be hot rod friendly. Registration was always based on the newer of the two (frame or block). A backdoor way to register was to call the frame homemade and go with the year of the engine, but even that way may be a problem in an emission county if you are using a newer crate engine. The SEMA route would be great if that gets adopted. Sometimes you are forced into larceny. I have relocated to GA which allows one to be somewhat imaginative.

We all appreciate the efforts of our state legislators to bring to justice those who steal cars/parts and resell them as parts of other cars, but . . . I wish the states could agree on some clear guidelines to separate the bad guys from us well-meaning hot rod types. Sheeesh!!! the hoops we have to crawl through just to get our projects on the road! :mad::confused::cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back