Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tfeverfreds photo journal

butch27 said:
Fred: You are now our ambassador at large!

Thanks! That would indeed be quite an honor, but I know you guys do the same thing when you're out. I just have a feeling we're all made that way.

Now, if I could just convince the ricer guy in a Dodge Neon:confused: that I was only trying to educate him, when I spanked his butt last weekend. Ricers... geez.:rofl:

V.A. visit July 4, 2008

Today, I had plans to go to Galveston. Well, the forecast for Galveston and Houston was for rain, so I stayed close to home.:sad: It was nice and cool this morning, about 78, so I went out for a nice little drive. After rolling around to various spots, I was heading in and remembered to stop by the V.A. to just visit. When I can, I like to swing in and talk with some of the vets. Some of these people don't have friends or family and maybe me spending a little time kinda helps. It also helps me to give a little back.

Well, today was a really great day. I had just pulled into one of the parking lots and was waved down. Today, I had the great pleasure to meet Larry Settlemyre and his wife. They were in from Oklahoma (I hope I got that right) and had seen me in traffic only moments before.

We had a very nice chat. Larry was in the Army and served bravely in Viet Nam from '67 to '69. He was a Door Gunner. As he spoke, I could just see him up there rattling off rounds from his 50 cal. It was an HONOR to shake his hand. During his days out of the service, he was a hot rodder and I was glad to hear his stories about the cars he had owned. It was fun telling him about what I had done to my car and I was honored to get his compliments. I really wanted to let him get in my car to check it out, but not having a door would have made that difficult. My next one is going to have a door.

So, on this 4th of July, a day when we celebrate the independance of our country, it was an honor and pleasure to meet a man who bravely served our country. A man I proudly call a friend.

Mr. Larry Lee Settlemyre

larryva002.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me, the number of really cool people this hobby has allowed me to meet.

4th of July fireworks in Houston.

The 4th of July fireworks in Houston are pretty cool. they shut down part of a main stretch of 4 lane road coming into the city and have concerts and all sorts of activities. It gets REALLY crowded and they charge admission, but the thing is, if you get about a mile or so away, you get a fairly nice view of the fireworks. So, I cruised downtown a little and found a parking lot to sit and watch. No crowds, just a few couples who had pulled in to do the same thing. Nothing like sitting in the comfort of a roadster and watching fireworks.

Out of all the pics I shot, this one is the only one that's worth showing.

fireworks7408001.jpg

I hope everyone had a great holiday!:)

fred,

this is awesome, i loved flipping through your journal, and reading of your adventures and meeting new friends..

i seen your post on the hamb, about you going to the va and meeting with the veterans..

My hats off to you..

Re: Seat cover

LumenAl said:
Well boys... you left me no choice... I had to post this one...

kirklandcarshow.jpg

I see your one and raise ya five! :rofl:

this photos making it to my computer desktop i think :D

Hot Rod show and concert

I made my way to the Continental Club in Houston and got a chance to check out some traditional Hot Rods and customs. While there were som kick butt cars, these two took the cake!

rockit035.jpg

rockit036.jpg

rockit034.jpg

Miss Behavin was the only T Bucket there:sad:, but she held her own!
rockit015.jpg

Southwest Street Machines

For the past 4 Fridays, I have been meeting up with the Southwest Street Machines at a resturant that caters their yearly car show and cruise. They are a local car group that puts on a really nice show in Rosenburg, TX about the first weekend of April.

About a month into my build, my girl and I went out to where they hang out to check out the cars. It was fun, but I really wished I had my T Bucket done. On the way home, I told my girl that the next time I go out there, I'll be driving my hot rod. Well, 4 Fridays ago, I did it. They kinda remembered me and I was accepted into the fold with open arms. They are a great bunch of guys.

While I have been going out there for a while, I always forgot my camera. This time I didn't. Only 3 members had their cars out, so here are some pics.

swstreetmachines006.jpg

swstreetmachines005.jpg

swstreetmachines004.jpg

swstreetmachines003.jpg

There is an interesting story with the guy who owns this sedan. He also owns a delivery, roadster and coupe. All the same year and all four painted the same shade of red!
swstreetmachines002.jpg

swstreetmachines001.jpg

So, hanging with these guys is how I spend my Friday evenings. Really relaxing.

Ain't been to Vasso's BBQ in several months. Used to go every Friday night when we lived in Missouri City. But now we are in Katy don't make it there very often. That is JC of JC Glass that has all the 39 Chevy's. JC just lives up the road from Vassos and has a REAL nice garage at his house.

blownt said:
Ain't been to Vasso's BBQ in several months. Used to go every Friday night when we lived in Missouri City. But now we are in Katy don't make it there very often. That is JC of JC Glass that has all the 39 Chevy's. JC just lives up the road from Vassos and has a REAL nice garage at his house.
So he has told me. Repeatedly!:) I can't wait to check it out. From what he has told me, it will be quite an experience.

blownt said:
I got afew

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen the last two pics in a thread on the HAMB. Those young ladies polish brass poles for a living and are working their way through med school.:)

tfeverfred said:
Those young ladies polish brass poles for a living and are working their way through med school.:)

I'd like to make a donation or 2 to the College fund;);)

Wonder what kinda Practice they are gonna have?
Proctologist maybe?
Urologists?

I know.....OB/GYN:surprised::cool::cool:

Vance

LumenAl said:
Well... looks like I'm in love again... :eek:

747d1216751056-tfeverfreds-photo-journal-tbabe5.jpg

ME TOO!!!!

wonder if she has a sister..........hmmmmmm......possibly a "Vance sandwich":eek::cool:;);)

Made a trip to the VA Hospital today.

Usually, pics of events or get togethers involving cars are loaded with pics of the cars that showed up. Today, it was about the spectators. As I'm sure everyone knows, there is a direct relationship between our hobby and the veterans who served our country. I'm not a writer, so I'll post part of something I found on the net. It reads as follows:

"The activity increased in popularity after World War II, particularly in California, due to returning soldiers, many of whom had been given technical training in the service."

Today, a small group of us Houston HAMBers payed a visit to the Micheal E. DeBakey Veterans Hospital in Houston, Tx. I had wanted to just try and break up the boredom for these men, women and their families when they visit the hospital. I think I speak for all involved when I say it was a great success. Lots of questions were asked, ideas shared and talk of times gone by. There is nothing better than looking at the smile on a persons face, when they tell you stories about what they had and drove back in the day. I'm glad that I did this and hope that something like this can be done more often. These men and women are a treasure.

At the time I contacted the VA about doing this, I was told that we would have room for only two cars due to space limitations and we would have to work out a rotation system to display our cars. Upon arrival, this had been changed and the VA security allowed us space on a wide sidewalk that proved ideal. The cars could park, there was shade from the sun and plenty of room for people to walk around and be comfortable. I want to thank Ms. Nikki Verbeck in the VA Volunteers office for all her help in getting this to work.

So, here are the pics. Once again, it's not the cars you should concentrate on, it's the people who enjoyed our time there.

As I had parked this was the first gentleman to walk up. He told me a great story about a car he had. It was a '40 Ford coupe and he had dropped an Olds motor in it. In his words, "We used to really kick some ass in that car." He then told me that he stopped driving it in 1970 and it had been parked in his garage ever since!
VAvisit001.jpg

The hospital Chaplin checks out the fit. He asked me how did it feel to sit in a car that had the tires hanging out. So, I told him to try it out.
VAvisit003.jpg

VAvisit004.jpg

Just after I took this pic, he asked how loud it was. I told him it's not too loud, but there is a guy who has one that is REALLY loud. It was then that this beast showed up!
VAvisit015.jpg

Next, Matt from CMX ( a local shop here in Houston) showed up with a customers '48 Chevy. I just may have to build one of these one day. Stunning!
VAvisit009.jpg

VAvisit008.jpg

VAvisit012.jpg

Also in attendance was a member (I'm very bad with names) of The Los Cochinos Car Club, representing in grand fashion.
VAvisit014.jpg

VAvisit013.jpg

VAvisit011.jpg

Now, the people.
VAvisit017.jpg

VAvisit018.jpg

VAvisit007.jpg

VAvisit006.jpg

The highlight of my day was having a chat with the gentleman in the background. He was a WWII vet and was at Saipan and Iwo Jima. He joined when he was 17 after first being denyed. He was in his early 80's and still kickin' it!
VAvisit019.jpg

Another cool moment was over hearing the conversation between these two gentlemen. One said, "Man, doesn't this bring back memories!?". The guy in the suit told of how he had owned one sorta like it with a rumble seat. Classic.
VAvisit022.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back