Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The continued story of windscreen brackets

Gerry

With the brackets finished and ready for final installation it was time to turn to my somewhat dubious plan to eliminate the tie rods from the frame to the chassis.

The flat bar that extends backwards and along the top of the body was added to help transfer some force to a much larger area. The joint between this bar and the brackets needs a fillet to be any good, which will be screwed in at a later time.

So here goes. A vertical 'post' was welded to the top bar and bent to conform to the curve in the body. I could have just glassed it in, but that meant the screen would become a permanent fixture of the body.... no a good thing.

I needed to captivate the vertical bar so there was no movement but make it easy to remove. Spreading the load was also a requirement so I came up with a triangular frame that holds the side to side movement and a small tab at the bottom to stop the possibility of the bar 'stepping out' of the frame. Again the frame was bent to the form of the body. X 2 and we have both sides the same.

A dusty 20 minutes later and the area around each frame had been ground to accept the glass fibre which was going to fix the whole assembly to the body

A bit of messy fun with some matt and resin and the job is done.

The addition of a triangular block between the bracket and top piece of flat should strengthen it up, but I can only do this after the interior is being sorted out. The blocks will also serve as a pin and hole location for the top flange and roll of the interior which I want to be removable for the future top I have in mind.

I have no idea if this will work, but I thought I would give it a try. It didn't take too long so nothing to loose.
G

Looks good. What's the white epoxy you're using?

The only thing I do different is add drilled holes to steel plates just for some extra hold.

10-25-15 3.JPG
11-1-15 3.JPG

Can't remember what the epoxy was, but I thought the open area in the frame would be enough to give a good hold. Always grateful for advise and some pointers, but its too late now.

I just realized that you kept these areas open for plumbing and wiring. That's a great idea.

Slide1.jpg

Can't remember what the epoxy was, but I thought the open area in the frame would be enough to give a good hold. Always grateful for advise and some pointers, but its too late now.

It looks rock solid.

I get not liking the support rods. I suppose it gives the guys running tall windshields a little piece of mind. What size windshield are you running that it needs all that support?

Nice work. I happen to like the support rods on a T bucket. Its part of what make a T bucket a T bucket with the tall windshield. I'm a firm believer in building it the way you like it or you won't be happy, as long as it is safe. keep up the good work.

Nice work. I happen to like the support rods on a T bucket. Its part of what make a T bucket a T bucket with the tall windshield. I'm a firm believer in building it the way you like it or you won't be happy, as long as it is safe. keep up the good work.

With a tall windshield, they do look good. I gives a 70's Fad look to a bucket. Different strokes for different folks.

Nice work. It's cool to see different solutions that guys come up with. As for the rods, I don't know, I initially decided to eliminate them, I like the look of a shorter screen too, but I may end up changing my mind after eating bugs. I may try to find a happy medium to give enough coverage to shield my face, but not so tall that it needs the rods. I incorporated solid mounting for the posts into my cowl supports. I don't know if the windshield frame is rigid enough to support itself without the rods, but a think the brackets are pleanty strong.

I just realized that you kept these areas open for plumbing and wiring. That's a great idea.

Screen is 23" high.

And on the other side the E Brake.

With a 23" windshield, I see your concern.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back