Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

To me, new wheels with proper back space is the real fix. Get what you can for what you have and chalk it up to experience. With what you've spent thus far two new wheels is nothing.

I think it's more a matter of even finding a wheel anywhere near that width, with 2 inches or less backspace, but maybe worth a look . . . .

What do you guys think of the look, it certainly isn't your everyday 27 look . . . .
I like the look, but hate the work involved. You will have to love it to make that kind of change.

I seconded JetMech727 idea for the correct back spacing being the best idea, easy, get it on the road idea.

I think it's more a matter of even finding a wheel anywhere near that width, with 2 inches or less backspace, but maybe worth a look . . . .

The other option then is a proper width housing. Wheel spacers in the 1/4" to even possibly 1/2" I would consider mildly acceptable. Anything more is just asking for trouble imo. Especially with the kind of HP you have. It'll never all get to the ground but any wheel hop will put undue extra stress on the wider spacers. Jm2c

Last edited:
Well ,I'll be the jerk , If the supplier/ manufacturer of the rear end housing/ frame/ body was provided accurate information pertaining to the wheels/ tires that were to be used , then with thier considerable , and much proclaimed expertise,, they Should have been able to determine and provide the correct differential housing/ axle width . fit the provided body ........Period......

Or they could have provided the proper tire wheel combo for clearance. Not sure which came first in this instance. The horse or the cart. At any rate, I dont think spacers are the solution.

If the wheel spacers are hub centrick, I don't see a problem because the studs will not be doing all the work to hold them together.

What is a hub centric wheel spacer?
Wheel spacers are used for a number of reasons, from form to function. ... This means that the wheels is truly central to the cars hub, meaning no movement and no vibration through the wheels. A hubcentric wheel spacer also result in far less stress on your bolts or studs.

That's true. Just remember the moment arm that is on the axle flange and the lug nuts and studs . If you notice all the new cars today have wheels that are not dished . Sort of the opposite of what us hot rodders want . That allows the bearings and the load not to be too over hung from support of the bearings . Probably not a real big deal for the light weight cars we have. Just sayin'

Have you tried the fit or you just measuring? I would think if a different width would be needed Bob and the guys would make it right. With money spent now to I think piece of mind would be worth the investment for safety.

Have you tried the fit or you just measuring? I would think if a different width would be needed Bob and the guys would make it right. With money spent now to I think piece of mind would be worth the investment for safety.

With the tire against the body, the wheel sits about an inch from the axle, (about the length of the studs) . . . none of the lugnuts, (the long kind that go thru the wheel) can even catch a thread of stud.

When I do stuff like this I use graph paper. Gather all needed dimensions and then transfer to the graph paper. Does not have to be anything elaborately drawn. Simple lines will work. I use each block equals 1". On drag chassis I figure 1" clearance as the tires grow up not out. On street cars I shoot for 1.5" as at some point you will go up an incline at an angle. I've never had anything rub to date. fwiw

With the tire against the body, the wheel sits about an inch from the axle, (about the length of the studs) . . . none of the lugnuts, (the long kind that go thru the wheel) can even catch a thread of stud.
So you need to make up that inch plus a couple more for clearance from the body. That means a 3" spacer, minimum. I don't think I would be too happy with that. Don't you have a 9" rear end with a 3rd member? If so and it were mine I would pull the carrier and buy a new housing and axles that will be the proper width. Yes, it is a PITA, but in my opinion better and safer than having that much wheel and tire hanging out on a 3" plus spacer.

Well . . . continuing to think about this, maybe mini-tubbing the rear wheel openings wouldn't be so bad after all, esp. if you have experience with 'glass. Certainly be easier on the wallet!:cool:

Hi Island Girl , my first post , but I have to ask ......if that photo is of your blue chassis and with that sort of horsepower , why no gussets on crossmembers , no x member , no k member , no panhard bar on front axle ..........good luck with the build...........cheers , Scar

Hi Island Girl , my first post , but I have to ask ......if that photo is of your blue chassis and with that sort of horsepower , why no gussets on crossmembers , no x member , no k member , no panhard bar on front axle ..........good luck with the build...........cheers , Scar

Welcome aboard, . . . This is a great bunch of folks here.

It's a Spirit '27 super kit, and the chassis is the way it comes from Spirit, it does have a front panhard bar though.

No doubt there's more HP than I can get to the ground, or that a '27 style frame can handle well, but it's not a race car, and I don't drive all that aggressively.

It's more about the looks and sound.

Darlene

Island Girl,
I think you answered your own question. You said you weren't going to drive it so crazy. So I would try a few options.

Option 1: Try the spacers or the longer wheel studs. Check the tightness/ integrity of the lugs and nuts often.

Option 2: Look long and hard for some wheels that have the back spacing you're looking for. Maybe they are custom made.

Option 3: Go with a different wheel/ tire combo that gives the correct clearance you need.

Option 4: Talk to Spirit and have them supply a different wider rear end. They' will need to configure it to suit your build and chassis.
Paint, brackets, shipping costs, etc. sound like a pain. But maybe its the best and final solution.

I guess I was looking for way to get it done without major surgery on the body, frame or rear end. None of the options are easy or inexpensive.
Darlene,
Did you buy the wheels and tires from Spirit?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back