Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

Josh says everything is ready to ship and I paid the bill, so here's hoping it goes out today . . . .

Here's a pic he sent of the completed grill shell ready to pack up . . . . I'm actually really not so unhappy the original grill shell got damaged in shipping, so that I got a second chance to have the replacement all finished and properly painted right from Spirit.

Much like paying the extra $ to have the frame painted, this is soooo worth it

New 34 Grill Shell r1.jpg

Now you have a cool wall hanger. Now you have to make up a cool story about how you were able to avoid a little old lady in a wheelchair and all the damage was the grill shell. Lol Glad progress is continuing. You may get to drive before the 70 degree winter gets there.

I can remember the aircraft I built in my garage took 3 years, going down the runway that first time 80 mph thinking did I forget anything

Looks like you didn't . . . . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And Josh called to let me know the new rear and pretty new grill shell are on their way to Miami for the boat ride to St Croix.

Looks like you didn't . . . . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And Josh called to let me know the new rear and pretty new grill shell are on their way to Miami for the boat ride to St Croix.
Thats one of the few islands i didn't get to go to while working for airlines

I believe Croix is French for crosses. Right ??

I don't know . . . .

The USVI was originally Danish.

Denmark sold them to the US in 1917 for $25 million.

There's some remnants of Danish culture, but nothing French. The other major islands are St Thomas and St John, so nothing else with a French name.

Finally your thread title fits again ......yaahooooo!!!!!!

Finally your thread title fits again ......yaahooooo!!!!!!

Yessssss Sirrrrrr . . . . . it does indeed!

And in anticipation . . .

I got some new shelves from Home Depot and made a considerable effort towards organizing all my parts so I can find them and see what I have with reasonable ease. There's actually more shelves around the corners from the pic.

It's amazing how much stuff actually comes with the Super Kit, (that I had initially squirreled away in nooks and crannies all over the house) . . . all the stuff that you'd otherwise be buying piecemeal over time, but it's all there to be organized from the get-go.

Not to mention all the mechanical stuff I got a bit at a time from Summit for the engine prep.

I also ordered another carport/tent like the one I have the car in now, so I have a nice dry place to put the body when I take it off to put in the motor and driveline, and I could maybe paint the body there while it's off, if I want to attempt a DIY paint job . . .

And it looks like I've also been blessed the second time around on my new, TIG welder. (2019 Alpha TIG 201XD) The one I bought back in 2017 never worked right, and then the cat5 hurricanes came, so life took on a different focus and I packed it aside, as I'd have to pay shipping both ways to the warranty center, (which I think is in Tennessee) and that would have come close to the cost of a new one which I couldn't afford then.

Anyway . . . this new one works perfectly and I bought the SSC foot pedal as an add-on, since the one that comes with it always gets lame reviews, even if it does keep the initial cost down.

I've got plenty of gas and rod on hand, and I'm ready to rock . . . . :thumbsup:

New Parts Shelves 1r.jpg

Sorara Carport 1.jpg

New Welder 1r.jpg

Last edited:
I also ordered another carport/tent like the one I have the car in now, so I have a nice dry place to put the body when I take it off to put in the motor and driveline, and I could maybe paint the body there while it's off, if I want to attempt a DIY paint job . . .

I bet with your boating background you can do it. My only hesitation is with metallics; sometimes they can be tricky.

So having managed so ingeniously to get my transmission on an engine stand to work on it, I worked up my courage to install the speedometer gear drive, change the gear on the tailshaft, and install my Lokar filler..

The trans comes from TCI with a 17 tooth drive gear on the tailshaft, which works with a wide range of daily driver ratios via options in the driven gear size, but to match up to my 4.86:1 rear end ratio, I had to drop it to a 15 tooth and go with a 45 tooth driven gear. Smaller tires or a numerically higher rear, and I'd of been outta luck getting an accurate speedo output, as 15/45 is the widest gear pair they have.

With that done, it was time to roll it over and pull the pan so I could install the fitting for the Lokar, quick disconnecting, firewall mount, locking dipstick.

Overall, it's a pretty straight forward process, but not exactly the cakewalk the instructions would lead you to believe.

There's more than a few sharp edges, and it's damn amazing just how hard, (make that nearly impossible) it is to distinguish between blood and clean fresh ATF.

Anyway . . . . it's already to go, and I have a new set of ARP 12 point, stainless steel, bell housing bolts waiting in the wings.

Speedo 1r.jpg

Trans Pan 1r.jpg

Trans open 1r.jpg

Trans Fill 2r.jpg .

There's more than a few sharp edges, and it's damn amazing just how hard, (make that nearly impossible) it is to distinguish between blood and clean fresh ATF.
Damn, I hate sharp edges!!! When ever I get a chance, I get out the die grinder, deburing tool, file or what ever I need to get rid of them SOB/s. I even use the deburing tool on plastic engine covers.

it's already to go, and I have a new set of ARP 12 point, stainless steel, bell housing bolts waiting in the wings.
I love stainless and use it whenever I can! Very good choice!

What kind of ATF are you going to use?

Damn, I hate sharp edges!!! When ever I get a chance, I get out the die grinder, deburing tool, file or what ever I need to get rid of them SOB/s. I even use the deburing tool on plastic engine covers.

I love stainless and use it whenever I can! Very good choice!

What kind of ATF are you going to use?

I got 3 gallons of what TCI told me to use in it, which is what came with their kit.

https://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/tci-371100p1/overview/

In this tropical marine environment, you have to use Stainless for everything you want to last more than a year.

I'm slowly but surely getting stainless for everything.

Thanks IG, I'm always interested in the choice of ATF. When you build one, it's entirely
up to the user to decide. I'm using Valvoline Dexron VI, full synthetic.

Non-synthetic for a brand new or newly rebuilt trans or engine. Your mileage may vary.

Hi Guys,

I asked in the "Engines and drivelines" section, since I'm not sure how many follow this thread, but I'll ask here too.

I'll be installing the fuel gage sender in my gas tank this weekend and was wondering what's the best way to clean out any light surface rust that may have developed, and do they still have the liquid coatings you swish around in the tank to coat all the steel surfaces and seal any chance of leaks in the seams.

Spirit made the tank and installed a filler, but not the sender, and it's painted to match the blue frame.

Since I'll have a new opening for the sender, I wanted to make sure it's all good on the inside, so any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Darlene

I used Por 15 tank sealer to seal my tank. My tank is stainless steel so I didn't have any rust but I have a number of seams to be sure they were sealed. It's been a few years and still no leaks.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back