Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

If that's what you want then go for it.

With the HP you have... drivability, is not a condition I would consider a real concern.
You do know that in reality, you will have a short wheelbase competition altered on the road, don't you.

That thought has occurred . . .

Hopefully, . . . . I can resist the temptation to drive it like one . . . . :whistling:

IG, one of the great things about buckets is we get to express our unique taste and design ideas. Do what turns you on.

Since no one's brought up any "driveability" issues, I'll assume that other than increased steering effort, there's not any real downsides.

I don't know how wide tires would act on a straight axle. Anyone?

I've only seen them on IFS setups like the pic.

1_269_orig.jpg
I would think about using and axle with no drop and make it look like an old gasser. Have Spirit or RPM make one with the same mounting points etc...and swap it out when you get it and swap, sell or keep the axle you have now. PICTURE FOR IDEAS ONLY

Speaking of dropped axles ; you could remove the 4" dropped & replace it with a 2" dropped axle. That's another alternative.

So putting a fat spacer between the spring and perch doesn't seem too bad if it's not too fat . . . . so before spending money on new wheels and tires, I ordered some 4" X 6" aluminum blocks from McMaster Carr.

I got 3 thicknesses; 1-1/2", 2", & 2-1/2", to experiment with . . . . with the new "eyes down" spring, one of them should be just about right

Should be able to pass the 4 mounting bolts thru the block to keep it aligned in place

I like it.

They make a 28" tire that is only 4.80/6.90 wide. Did you miss this one ???

This is the tire I'm using.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6678

Didn't miss it as much as looked past it for being narrower than I want to go, especially with the weight of the big block.

My initial choice of 26 X 8 seems the perfect blend of big and little aesthetics, while maintaining good road contact and braking capability.

All this wheel and tire analysis really has me second guessing the quintessential "big and littles" / semi dragster look though . . . .

The few pics I can find with wides all around have a kind of mean aggressive look . . . I'm actually seriously considering the 29 X 15 wide tires on 12" wide wheels. The 12" wheels are available in 2.5" back space, whereas wider ones are at least 3.5" back space and won't clear my brakes.

I'm going to wait until my aluminum blocks get here and I have that to work out my ground clearance issues with first though

Found a pic, better than the screen shot of a video frame, of the look that I'm really coming around to, over the traditional big & littles.

I don't think it would work very well with the '23 or '32 style grill shells, but it kicks ass with the '34 style.

So much to ponder when you don't have time to actually be working on it . . . . :unsure:

27 T-42 cr1 r1.jpg

Those look like 18" or 20" wheels.

Those look like 18" or 20" wheels.

Yes, they do . . . but overall heights should be close to the same

There are a few sizes of the Mickey Thompson S/R radials that come in 18" and 20", ( I was looking at them because they would allow for more backspace for wider front wheels) but nice wheels to go with them are usually forged and whether Weld or American Mag, (like in the pic) are typically in the $1000 to $1500 each range, while my budget is more like 2 tires and 2 wheels for under $1500.

The guy who built that car wasn't on a budget like most of us are . . . . . That windshield alone is an insane $2000 . . . . before you put any glass in it.

Though maybe if I'm really good all year long, Santa may get me one next Christmas . . . .

Your car your vision, go for it girl......Not my gig so I don't count, it is your car......

That's a great look, Darlene. May be even better without the IFS. :rolleyes:

No doubt the IFS allows the tires to do a much better job of cornering, so it can take better advantage of the wider tires. (not to mention it probably rides a lot better) Our simpler drop axle setups might have an aesthetic edge of a plain and minimalist look, but probably can't make nearly as much use of the extra width for cornering, though for straight line braking, could maybe come pretty close.

Your car your vision, go for it girl......Not my gig so I don't count, it is your car......

Actually, everybody counts . . .

While the aesthetics are each person's own vision, how those aesthetics are reached might bring an unforeseen structural weakness or design flaw, so the more people looking at the situation, the more likely some one will see any potential issue.

If you want the truth from my perspective.....

You are starting to getting a LONG way from a T Bucket. As always JMHO so don't have a go.

If its what you want then screw my view and others that remain in the past.
G

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back