Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

Yes, they do . . . but overall heights should be close to the same

There are a few sizes of the Mickey Thompson S/R radials that come in 18" and 20", ( I was looking at them because they would allow for more backspace for wider front wheels) but nice wheels to go with them are usually forged and whether Weld or American Mag, (like in the pic) are typically in the $1000 to $1500 each range, while my budget is more like 2 tires and 2 wheels for under $1500.

The guy who built that car wasn't on a budget like most of us are . . . . . That windshield alone is an insane $2000 . . . . before you put any glass in it.

Though maybe if I'm really good all year long, Santa may get me one next Christmas . . . .

I hear ya. I wanted to go with the low profile SRs in the beginning. The tires are doable. But wheels to fit them was insane.

The only drawback with the wide tires is the increased steering effort, especially at low or no speed turning. What do you have for a steering box? a Vega cross steer? They do make a power steering Vega box. CPP VEGA-PSB Vega Power Steering Box

Would the Vega box be a direct replacement for a reversed Corvair box? I have been thinking about the Rack & Pinion style, but power steering would be nice in parking lots!

Would the Vega box be a direct replacement for a reversed Corvair box? I have been thinking about the Rack & Pinion style, but power steering would be nice in parking lots!

Probably not a direct replacement, I can try to get some close ups of the Vega box and how it mounts to the frame bracket tomorrow, perhaps that would let you compare the two if you want . . . Could be that it is a doable without extraordinary efforts.

Cannot imagine needing power steering on a car light as a T. The 32 which is heavier is easily manageable parking. My biggest complaint is turning radius about the same a a concrete truck.

Cannot imagine needing power steering on a car light as a T. The 32 which is heavier is easily manageable parking. My biggest complaint is turning radius about the same a a concrete truck.
That is why you have a limited slip differential!

In parking lot situations (low speed), my Corvair box steers like a truck!

Yes, I've noticed that also now that you mention it. You just have to be rolling a very little
to make it easier. Considerably less than walking speed.

That is true with most any car, especially ones without power steering. Rolling a bit really makes steering much less of a struggle.

Fat tires and trying to wrench the steering wheel while stopped can break pitman arms. Trust me, I'm on my third in my truck.

Spent most of today trying to plan out a viable fuel system . . . . to replace the Holley mechanical pump I put on initially to be able to test run the motor

One that can support major HP when needed, but can run all day cruising when you want it to . . . .

All the seriously capable pumps are only designed for half an hour to an hour and a half of street operation, but you have to dig on the manufacturer's website to find that info, Summit doesn't mention it.

To the rescue, comes this little gem that uses PWM control to vary the pump speed of a selected pump down to as low as about 30% . . . . rather pricey, but about equal to a new brushless pump with speed control built in . . . . . which are EFI pressures only.

Figured I'd go with the A2000 pump with suitable filters and regulator, since it's basically a carb system pressure pump that tells you to use that controller for street use.

Always something to spend $$ on with these toys . . .

All the seriously capable pumps are only designed for half an hour to an hour and a half of street operation, but you have to dig on the manufacturer's website to find that info, Summit doesn't mention it.

I wasn't aware of this myself, but on the other hand I ran a Holley Red for 20 years and the
Holley Blue for the last 5 years. I've taken several 5-6 hour trips with no pump problems.

I looked over the manual again and didn't see where it couldn't be used for continuous
operation. Document is attached below.

I planned out three different fuel systems, but eventually went with System #3. I included $100
for AN fittings, which should have been more like $175. The Excel files show 1/2" aluminum
tubing, but I ended up using 1/2" braided line inside the frame and 1/2" SS for the return line
that I bought off of Amazon.

I bought the Aeromotive Pre-Filter, but just could not find the room to include it, so I only have
the 10 micron post filter. Hopefully you will find the information helpful, all the items have
links to more info.

upload_2021-1-4_10-5-36.png

upload_2021-1-4_10-3-0.png

Below is the system diagram I used to plan my AN fittings.

FuelSystemDiagram02.jpg

Attachments

• Holley Blue Manual.pdf
    591.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Fuel Filter Specifications.xlsx
    12.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Fuel System Pricing.xlsx
    14.4 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the detailed info;

The consumer level electric pumps, like the Holley red / blue and the Mallory 110's / 140's can run continuously.

By "seriously capable", I was talking about pumps in the 250 to 500 GPH and up range that support at least 1000 HP and well upwards.

Magnafuel systems has a lot of nice modular setups, but I don't know if you can control one of their pumps with the Aeromotive speed controller . . .I expect you can, but it's too expensive an experiment for my wallet.

I liked this one as an example, but when you go to the magnafuel website and check the instructions, all the big pumps have a limit of 1-1/2 hours of continuous run time for limited street driving.

On the Aeromotive pumps, they say 30 minutes of street driving unless you use the #16306 speed controller.

No doubt that if you exceed that time frame or even stay within it, but on multiple occasions, you'll soon have a very expensive doorstop as a result.

Seems to me you are expecting way to much need for fuel. Acceleration in a t bucket happens so fast you will not need that much fuel. I would be surprised if you could keep your foot in it long enough to empty the fuel bowls.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back