Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The excitement is building

I ran across this '27 Spirit kit, (the same one I have coming) with this '34 front grill and it really seemed to give the car another personality.

What do you guys think . . . .

There's some question about whether it could be tweaked to fit with the gas shocks, as it seems designed to work with the friction shock setup

But if it can be made to work with gas shocks, (wouldn't want to give them up) I'm going to see if I can get this one.

27 T-10 .jpg
27 T-10b .jpg

This pic shows the Spirit gas shock mount in good detail, it looks like it could just work to notch the 34 grill shell to clear it

27 T-10c .jpg

I think it makes the front end look too wide. Seems it should appear to taper from the firewall
down to the radiator. Maybe you can section the 34 grill to give it the appropriate size.

But if you like it, then maybe Spirit could give you an answer about the fit.

I think it makes the front end look too wide. Seems it should appear to taper from the firewall
down to the radiator. Maybe you can section the 34 grill to give it the appropriate size.

But if you like it, then maybe Spirit could give you an answer about the fit.

Josh is working on it . . . . I think he's going to do a little mock up and see where that goes

I can't for the life of me, get BluePrint Engines 632 ci / 815Hp out of my brain . . . .

Go for it, I say. This vid gives you some idea of what to look forward to. The guy now runs 7 second 1/4s and its street legal in the UK

Car is very fast with a lot of bump steer.

Those shock mounts could be modified and welded to the outside of the frame rails for the Clearance needed...

I'm not sure, but I think they may just bolt on, and just switching them right for left and vice-versa would get them on the outsides of the rails and might be all it takes as far as mounting goes.

Thanks guys,

I was quite impressed myself . . . Josh and the Spirit team have been great to work with, even with my last minute color change and now wanting to go with the 34 grill if it can be made to work with the gas shocks up front.

Island Girl,
You're off to a great start. That's a great color. They look really nice when everything is new and nice and clean and shiny. Here in the mid west it's hard to keep them looking that way. My bucket is nearing 40 years old and showing its age. The body paint has held up well for the 40 years but the frame paint and chrome are showing their age along with me, too!
If I was 20 years younger I would completely disassemble it and redo everything.
Bill

Island Girl,
You're off to a great start. That's a great color. They look really nice when everything is new and nice and clean and shiny. Here in the mid west it's hard to keep them looking that way. My bucket is nearing 40 years old and showing its age. The body paint has held up well for the 40 years but the frame paint and chrome are showing their age along with me, too!
If I was 20 years younger I would completely disassemble it and redo everything.
Bill

Thanks for the encouragement.

I've pretty much shot my wad after buying the crate motor and its peripheral items, so painting the body will have to wait a while. I think the only additional significant item left to buy is the driveshaft, and I have to wait until the car is at least partially assembled to properly measure for it.

The good thing is that the body won't rust if it's not painted. Will they be painting the rest of the suspension parts like the front axle, radius rods and drag link? If so, that will make your job a lot easier.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I've pretty much shot my wad after buying the crate motor and its peripheral items, so painting the body will have to wait a while.

Have you considered painting it yourself? There are some inexpensive ways to go about it if you choose to go that way. :geek:

The good thing is that the body won't rust if it's not painted. Will they be painting the rest of the suspension parts like the front axle, radius rods and drag link? If so, that will make your job a lot easier.

All the steering, suspension, and brackets and stuff is chrome so I don't have to worry about painting it or rust.

Once it all gets here and I get it assembled and running enough that I could pull and paint the body and then do a final assembly, I'll see where my cash stash is at and how much it would cost in materials to DIY it.

I'm at a point now where I have so much in it, that as much as I like to do things myself, it might just be a much better plan to have it professionally done than to devalue it from a backyard DIY paint job. . . . .

We do have some shops here that are reputed to do excellent paint work . . . so . . . .

Lots to think about there

I'm told it's a UV stable gel coat so it can go for a long time before painting, if I need to hold off for a while.

Darlene

T-buckets are very easy to paint, especially if you have a decorative removable piece on the front of the firewall. If so, all you have to do is take that piece off, stand the body on its nose and paint the rest. When you put the body on the frame and replace the decorative piece, no one will will know that the face of the firewall isn't painted. I have polished aluminum pieces on the fronts of my firewalls, but just about anything will do.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back