Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The famous 'stiff ride' question...

Kurt64

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I'm very new to the unique world of the T-Bucket. I realize that it will never ride like a Caddy but yikes...it's pretty harsh for this 54 year old. It is an adjustable coil over rear that I have loosened as far as I can go. I have already added Speedway light shocks to the front which really helped stop the front wheel bounce, but the ride is very stiff in the rear. To further amplify the issue, the seats are merely upholstered 1/2" foam resting on the fiberglass tub. I am 6' tall and my vision line is just below the window frame, so I either have to live with those cushions, or raise it up with better padding and/or springs so I can look over the windshield. What can I do to soften up the ride?
20180916_173751_resized.jpg

I run w/ 160# springs & 3" of foam in the seat , it's still a bit harsh but I only have 3" of travel in the rear before it hits the snubber , if I had more travel I could use a softer spring rate...

Not having springs in the seat is what kills the ride , but there's just no room if you want to sit IN the car and not ON it!!

I run w/ 160# springs & 3" of foam in the seat , it's still a bit harsh but I only have 3" of travel in the rear before it hits the snubber , if I had more travel I could use a softer spring rate...
It's always a challenge when buying a vehicle like this from another builder...I have very little info on what components were installed. I was thinking about trying an even lighter spring than you are using. The rear of this can't weigh much at all...I'm guessing around 1000# but would like to have it weighed somehow.

What brand or manufacturer of your shocks? You need to find out what spring rate you have before you start buying new ones. They look to be almost vertical so they will be at their full rate. If you have a second or even a third upper mounting hole that will lean them in then the rate will decrease and the ride will get softer. Just a suggestion. I think Pete & Jakes in Peculiar, Mo. have a shock mounting article in their catalog that might be of some help. Worth your luck.

I am a rookie at this as well but from reading a bunch of similar posts, it seems the 160 pound spring rate is the most accepted choice. I ordered a set of coil overs in that weight for my build. I hope it is not too harsh to be enjoyable.

What brand or manufacturer of your shocks? You need to find out what spring rate you have before you start buying new ones. They look to be almost vertical so they will be at their full rate. If you have a second or even a third upper mounting hole that will lean them in then the rate will decrease and the ride will get softer. Just a suggestion. I think Pete & Jakes in Peculiar, Mo. have a shock mounting article in their catalog that might be of some help. Worth your luck.
QA1 12-300 is what's stamped on the coils.

I just looked them up...300# springs. No wonder it rides stiff! Looks like that will be on the next shopping list

I'm very new to the unique world of the T-Bucket. I realize that it will never ride like a Caddy but yikes...it's pretty harsh for this 54 year old.

This is the 'down' side for T-bucketeers. Like you, I have extended the springs to the full travel on the shock tube, and I just live with the harsh ride. Watch out for potholes!

PS - I'm almost 74, and I still feel like a teenager when I take the bucket out; to heck with the harsh ride, I'm still grinning ear-to-ear!

T-Bucket1.jpg

I just looked them up...300# springs. No wonder it rides stiff! Looks like that will be on the next shopping list

That means you have a 12" spring height. It takes 300lbs to compress it 1", 600lbs to compress it 2" and 900lbs to compress it 3".
Weight the back of your car and measure the installed height. Those coils don't appear to have been compressed much. Much less spring rate needed I should think.

For the seat try to cut a hole into n the plywood under your butt and lace the opening with cheap tie down straps (like lawn chairs) and replace upholstery.

For the seat try to cut a hole into n the plywood under your butt and lace the opening with cheap tie down straps (like lawn chairs) and replace upholstery.
Be careful ,if you make the whole too big , the wood won't hold ,too small and it'll be uncomfortable

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back