Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The famous 'stiff ride' question...

Update...I removed the 300lb coilover springs and replaced them with 110lb springs. Wow, what a difference! With a little seat padding as described in an earlier reply, it will be a real pleasure to to drive. I'm still thinking about what to do with the windshield. I questioned early today about the inspection sticker placement on the lexan or a mounting plate...anyone have any thoughts on that?

Well, Kurt, PA doesn't require a safety inspection if you have antique plates. Otherwise the sticker is supposed to go lower driver side of windshield. But PA does require an annual emission test. Why not just move to beautiful MN, where we have no inspections.

Don't scrape them off, stack them up. When we had inspections, I would not let them put the sticker on. I carried the inspection slip in my wallet, and told the officer it came off a couple of days ago. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. I paid the fines and went on. Non moving violation, so insurance never went up.

Well, Kurt, PA doesn't require a safety inspection if you have antique plates. Otherwise the sticker is supposed to go lower driver side of windshield. But PA does require an annual emission test. Why not just move to beautiful MN, where we have no inspections.
I have hotrod tags on mine which changes everything. Antique tags extremely limit when you are permitted to drive the vehicle...I wanted to be able to jump in any time I wanted.

I have hotrod tags on mine which changes everything. Antique tags extremely limit when you are permitted to drive the vehicle...I wanted to be able to jump in any time I wanted.
I have several vehicles with antique plates, I drive em whenever, where ever... neve had a question... now, if you drive it by the same cop everyday he might wanna know the location of the show or parade, or service facility you are attending.

I have several vehicles with antique plates, I drive em whenever, where ever... neve had a question... now, if you drive it by the same cop everyday he might wanna know the location of the show or parade, or service facility you are attending.
I worked in law enforcement years ago (decided it wasn't for me...), so I'm programmed to try to stay within the law. It's the insurance in case of an accident that scares me the most. I don't want any restrictions.

I worked in law enforcement years ago (decided it wasn't for me...), so I'm programmed to try to stay within the law. It's the insurance in case of an accident that scares me the most. I don't want any restrictions.
I get it, I don’t daily drive any of mine, but if I feel like taking one down the road to keep things moving, freshen the fuel, etc, I consider that servicing the machine. I’m not sure what the rules are from state to state, I presume they vary.

20180922_142901_resized.jpg
View attachment 15225 View attachment 15226 This is the bestest seat I have found. I understand this may be a little high for you. I used a 6 inch piece of foam for mine.....
When you're right, you're right. That looked like such a great idea that I had to give it a try....cheap, easy to make, and VERY COMFORTABLE! I used a 10" tube with 4" standard density foam just to see how it worked out (high density foam will be used for the final products...gotta make 2). Thanks for suggestion.

Bestest seat I have found for a bucket...….Enjoy.....

Bestest seat I have found for a bucket...….Enjoy.....
3 questions please? How much air pressure in tube and do you cut 'donut' hole all the way through so tube sits on plywood or just where tube is basically flush with top of foam? What about using the straps in addition to the tubes? Thanks, Mark.

Yes let the tube sit on the plywood but make sure the surface is smooth. You will not be able to measure the pressure. You will not need straps in my opinion.

This weeks project! HF 10" tube 4 bucks! Cheapest project yet on my T. Thanks.
That's what I used...$4 is hard to beat. Bought 4" thick foam from surplus city at $10 for a 24"x24" piece. I also found a 3" memory foam car seat pad on Amaz-- that was $14 and works very well

I don't know where you all live but I do have some elevation changes around here.

I live at 3300ft above Sea level and within a 100 miles to the West I will be at 9500ft so the ride in Artesia NM and the ride in Cloudcroft NM will be somewhat different but depending on how long I am going to be at 9500ft I will not adjust the air in the Tube. I also use a valve extension on the tubes and they come out of the bottom of the plywood.

A simple observation: everything I own seems to lose air pressure in the tires. If you are going to use them, why not make the air valves accessible? It would allow for fine tuning of the ride, if you will. There are valve stem extenders available that are used on inner dually wheels and they are about six inches long. That should be about right to allow you to drill koles and stub them out somewhere that allows access.

A simple observation: everything I own seems to lose air pressure in the tires. If you are going to use them, why not make the air valves accessible? It would allow for fine tuning of the ride, if you will. There are valve stem extenders available that are used on inner dually wheels and they are about six inches long. That should be about right to allow you to drill koles and stub them out somewhere that allows access.
I posted this before reading Lincoln’s post... sorry.

You can get cheap compressors. Mount one under the seat. A coiled hose would be handy thing to have too. Could even use an air horn unit.

You would need an onboard compressor for what you suggest. Already searching for space in one of these things.

You would need an onboard compressor for what you suggest. Already searching for space in one of these things.
You could just air up like you do your tires, never thought of a on board compressor. I defidently understand the space limitations... millimeters are worth fighting for.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back