Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The T in my head, thoughts?

This weekends project; While awaiting the delivery of a few engine gaskets to seal up some vacuum, oil & coolant leaks I decided to finalize the exhaust. Found an issue with my Lincoln 135 MIG welder, an electrical spade terminal fell off the the gas solenoid inside the welder. So no Argon/Co2 was being released down the weld lead and tip. With the issue resolved now I can finish gluing my mufflers to the headers

As a temporary experiment for some added sound control, I plugged the otherwise straight thru tube in the middle of the auger mufflers. If it sounds good and doesn't choke the exhaust too drastically, I'll come up with a permanent solution.

And of course, part of the solution to maintaining manageable muffler temperature at the step in/out point of the bucket. Double wrapping, 2 layers of DEI titanium header wrap around the mufflers plus those heat shields.

Is it running a little rich?

Oh yeah, very. I haven't had any tuning time yet. Still need to address a few leaks before I can get it up to temperature and then let the tuning begin. The EFI controller will self tune based on the wideband O2 sensor feedback, then I can make final minor adjustments when and where necessary.

Speaking of untuned:

Last edited:
Great car.

I love how different it is.

Wonderful sound, I like it !!!

Sounds more like the IAC valve--maybe the ECM hasn't had time to adjust?

Sounds more like the IAC valve--maybe the ECM hasn't had time to adjust?

I believe you are correct, it actually idles better when I dumb the idle controls down a bit. The advanced IAC controls are intuitive, I just need to educate myself a bit more on PID values to prevent the modulation.

Wait a minute....:cool:

You're a musician? Or a mechanic?

Or both?

Moving along on the project, Slowly. Running into a tuning a issue; since the injectors are paired cylinder batch fire it means each cylinders injector fires once every revolution instead of once in four strokes. That means the injector time is cut in half and fires twice as often. Well, those big 550cc injectors aren't letting me lower the pulse width small enough to idle clean. Currently installing smaller 375cc injectors, big enough to support the power output but hopefully small enough to idle at a clean AFR.

Today while cleaning up the shop space, tools & parts. I came across a piece of scrap aluminum that may have given a name to my Bucket....and a name plate.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back