Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tierod, heims or tierod ends?

Keeper

I need to see some pics of tierods/steering arms. Do most run tierod ends or heims on the ends?

I plan on putting mine behind the front axle as I do not like the tierod being out front. But before I buy steering arms I need to decide which way I will go with the ends.

Thanks

B

Ok i'll get beat up here but NasCar use's Heims.Nuff said.from the beginning of time in the car world the makers have used Tierod ends and still do to this day and thats why i chose to do the same.My tie rod and drag link are tie rod endsIn my opinion i dont think heims will last as long as tie rod ends and when they fail you start chasing ghosts as to why your front end wanders but could be years and years from now so depending on the quality of the heims who knows how long.If you buy cheap expect problems.Ted Brown(the creator of CCR) has had the same set up on his tbucket since god was born and he still hammers it so i guess it's a personel choice thing

Rick: You are RIGHT!! I used Heims in my racing days but changed every year. I DO have Heims on my bucket though. I had to get it built first. Oh- I have safety keepers on all of the Hiems. Buy them from Speedway.

Rick: You are RIGHT!! I used Heims in my racing days but changed every year. I DO have Heims on my bucket though. I had to get it built first. Oh- I have safety keepers on all of the Hiems. Buy them from Speedway.
Thats what i mean Butch personel choice.Even though you know tie rod ends last longer you chose heims.Oh by the way keeper washers are NOT needed on tierod ends.Plus you can get them in polished stainless now.Again just MY opinion here.

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. Both types of ends are rated for specific force loads. The cheapest [two-piece] heims ends are rated for low forces and will probably not be able to endure the types of shock loads that one will encounter in a suspension. The more expensive heims, the three-piece, nylon or teflon bearing, are rated for much higher loads and shock forces. These should be more than suitable for a light weight auto suspension. The elastomer material also acts as a seal which keeps dirt and grit out of the bearing. The traditional rod ends are proven suspension components and their longevity is not even questioned. Two-piece ends came with my tierod and I will use them with the provided seals. For my 4-bar suspension I am using the high grade. three-piece heims from Midwest Controls. These ends are the ones that experience the highest loads during acceleration, braking and suspension movement. Just my thoughts as an experienced engineer.

I have used both with good results. You might want to wait till you have your front end mocked up before making your choice. If you find you need to raise either your tierod or draglink, by reversing the taper in the arms you'll have more adjustment with the tierod ends than the hiems.

Ron

I am going tie rod ends only cause it fits the 'flavor' of my car. I have used Heims on race cars for years with out a problem (only name brand stuff). I think Heims are easier to use.

My experience has been with the Heim-type rod ends, however this has been in drag race and aircraft applications - clean, high maintence stuff.

These types of vehicles don't run off roads, hit cracks, pot holes, chuck holes, debris, craters, calderas, cliffs, bricks or elk. Therefore, these appications don't see the severity of use encountered by the average car.

I think tie rod ends are not only stronger and more durable, but less expensive.

Having said that, I'm using Heim-type ends as they were easier (for me) to build around and I still a year away from knowing if any of it wil even work.

Do I have to mail in the two cents to offer this inexperienced opinion?

I like Heim ends on tie and steering arm ends only, (not much side stress to worry about pulling the joint apart) as far as radius rods go, the 4 bar type bushings are made for suspension systems, strong from all angles, plus they stop a lot of road vibes and noise... BUT! Tie rod ends work at more of an angle without any binding, I hate to mess with tapered fits, hard to get apart unless you buy special buttons (taper and straight, so disassembly now works just like a straight bolt.. Which ever you use, Drive safe and keep an eye on them all :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back