Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Time To Fess-up

TeeTime

After being out of rodding and racing for many, many years, at the tender young age of 67 I though I would sneak back in with very little effort on my part by purchasing a Tee. To make a long story short, I stepped in a big, stinky pile of poor workmanship. My Tee was a basket case, and I've spent considerable time and money bringing it back to life. No complaints or sour grapes, I had my eyes open when I handed over the money. I think "starstruck" pretty much covers it. I am, however, considering sending the seller a pair of white shoes, stripped trousers, and a loud green tie so he will be properly dressed for his role as a sleazy used car salesman. My bad...

My baby has (now) a 347 stroker/roller motor with an all Edelbrock top end, 1405 4-barrel, Performer RPM manifold and heads, and an Edelbrock roller cam. Strangely, it had stamped Comp Cams roller tip rockers, now replaced with premium roller rockers. That drives an FMX with a TransGo shift kit and a 2800rpm stall (closer to 2200 due to the lack of weight) torque converter into an 8.8 Posi-Trac (Powr-Lok?) 3.89:1 rear. The big skins make major smoke anytime I feel that I have too much money in my pocket, or feel a need to impress the tourists. Fire is by Mallory, a UniLite 4755101 with vacuum advance. I tossed the MSD 8352---preference.

I just finished rewiring the car. I hate it when the bucket fills up with dense black smoke. Next week, it's time to lash the valves. That is one of the few times I wish I had an SBC, but then I remember how many times I cussed Chevy while laying across a hot engine, adjusting points. No problem with a bucket, just saying...

No racing happening here, just cruising. That said, I've just about decided to ditch the carburetor and go with a Pro-Flo XT setup. The "coolness factor" is off the chart, as is the cost, but what the heck.

This website has made getting back into the game a breeze. My thanks to all the members who contribute pearls of wisdom, and come to the rescue with their wealth of knowledge and experience.

Buzz

Welcome from Texas! I did the same thing 3-4 months ago, been sorting it out ever since. Mine looks real nice, but under the skin, there's a lot of less-than-optimum engineering/workmanship lurking, not to mention worn out parts. I've been working through the bugs, hoping the process will slow down soon. It's a blast to drive, wish I'd bought or built one sooner. Post some pics when you get a chance!

Jack

Welcome from Texas! I did the same thing 3-4 months ago, been sorting it out ever since. Mine looks real nice, but under the skin, there's a lot of less-than-optimum engineering/workmanship lurking, not to mention worn out parts. I've been working through the bugs, hoping the process will slow down soon. It's a blast to drive, wish I'd bought or built one sooner. Post some pics when you get a chance!

Jack

Jack, I have a feeling it will never slow down. In retrospect, ordering a kit and building it myself might have been more satisfying. That said, I'm rather fond of my Tee, and I'm not giving it up. I might not have bragging rights as the builder, but I certainly have them as the "re-builder." I'm close to being ready to post some pix, I want to get the last of the messes cleaned-up first. The rewire is pretty much complete, but I still have some floorboard issues (ugly), and other cosmetics to handle. What the heck, it's keeping me busy, and in the final analysis it really is fun---once I get past fussing about poor workmanship. Please keep me posted as to your problems areas and progress.

Buzz

I think we have all been victims of poor workmanship and unsavory characters. I've been there so many times I want to cry. Well, you know what they say about what doesn't kill us...

Doesn't make it easier to swallow but definitely makes us wiser!

In any case, welcome and I look forward to seeing progress photos.

I too Jack just got into the T-bucket world with the purchase of my already built 1923 bucket. My neighbor had started building it in the 60's and finishing it sometime in the 70's. I had always loved that car every time he would take it out of the garage, which was not very often and drive it up and down the street and then put it back in. Then they moved about five miles away, but we still keep in touched. He finally decided to ask me if I wanted to buy it because he no longer could get into it with his bad knees. Of course I yes. The only problem was It had been sitting for at least 15 years without it being started,just covered and left alone. It took me about 3 to 4 months to go through the car to get it running to where I didn't have to worry about anything. I'm in it almost every weekend and my wife loves it. I'm not the original builder, but I feel like I put in many hours of sweat and money to say that I am the restorer of the car.
Happy Rodding.

Randy

I too Jack just got into the T-bucket world with the purchase of my already built 1923 bucket. My neighbor had started building it in the 60's and finishing it sometime in the 70's. I had always loved that car every time he would take it out of the garage, which was not very often and drive it up and down the street and then put it back in. Then they moved about five miles away, but we still keep in touched. He finally decided to ask me if I wanted to buy it because he no longer could get into it with his bad knees. Of course I yes. The only problem was It had been sitting for at least 15 years without it being started,just covered and left alone. It took me about 3 to 4 months to go through the car to get it running to where I didn't have to worry about anything. I'm in it almost every weekend and my wife loves it. I'm not the original builder, but I feel like I put in many hours of sweat and money to say that I am the restorer of the car.
Happy Rodding.

Randy

"Restorer" --- That has a nice ring to it. While it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who bought and had to rebuild, I sympathize 100% and wish we had all done better. In my case, visions of turning the key and going cruising when the mood struck prompted me to buy without really looking at the face beneath the make-up. On the other hand, what better way to get to know your Tee than having to redo most of the major systems and components? It's a "labor of love," for sure. For all my whining, I'm having a ball. I wonder where all the automotive tools I owned back-in-the-day got to? Kids? Grand-kids?

I'm leaving my Tee to my now 44 year old son. I told him that when my eyesight and reflexes faded to the extent I was not able to safely serve as pilot-in-command, I'd ship it to his doorstep. I believe he has since begun making voodoo dolls to hasten my demise. (Just kidding!)

A pleasure to hear from those in similar circumstances. Best of luck to you. Thankfully we have this site and its knowledgeable members to help us over the rough spots...

Buzz

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back