Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Time to wire

G'Day Jetmech727,
On the cars we have built down under we put the isolation switch on the negative side of the system, it's considered to be a safer way of isolating circuits.
Regards,

Hi AusBucket! Great idea. May just change mine from pos to neg. It will be very easy to do with little effort. I've seen them done that way before but have never asked why. Just figured the builder took the path of least resistance on its instalation.

Trying out a new photo sizing app. Since I was dragging my feet on the car I bought my youngest son & I two new bikes in July to enjoy the summer on. Now that I'm back on the car I need to get the lift moved out of the way. More importantly and on topic are the photos of my seat riser which has not been installed permenately yet. Plan is to mount fuse box on back side of riser on passenger side and dimmer switch on driver side just past flush. Hopefully this will still leave enough room under the seat for a change of clothes and or small articles. Holes in riser will allow wires a path to go to each side. 2018-10-14 02.20.45.jpg 2018-10-14 02.36.05.jpg 2018-10-14 02.37.09.jpg 2018-10-14 02.37.35.jpg

I have both on hand but honestly may not use either. May end up going with just a simple toggle switch in the seat riser next to the dimmer switch. Problem with it in the seat riser is possible damage from stepping on it getting in & out of the car
I don't like the add-on turn signals either. I like the simple hot rod column. So I put the switch in a small project box between my bucket seats:
hSIp2qVZOvzABJ09AvfcWUoNj0LGfkUz2Qd_dZZzJnUVaHC3zHoBfWzW9RRp-HbBZ5eFUmKzK-P-K1TEyFElKUfHVkagcUwGCLMd7Lw6z74HEoS2rxuFBzr7yAl4vVgdDKdwyRUGl2U5J6vHRyUUPuXOBT8jpk-PQXa7jb6nowIkwOax0ifkBr0b98WmF1eAhjfUOE9kdAGeURXvTynJ8PUXSnMiBzjUj9wBPcQhekmlRSby4QR_HEAV43CNf3fcZPdybmEcNjA1wyqBVyvllMyp_9EUQgVN55nc3G6R36fI5XFfasCdL9DEK0Vxcx-nzMZ4OHngYu5Mg89UE5-tSa5U--miq8oN1IS0V_pVrSg9Wb3rcd8pCNq3IDikHCfwDHcYQYv0bspbnmUr1psxaQeIsUeJBAARHdVTeC7YAGExUcO_7BrBrsMi93sO2yslOXP0aajiccps8ZcV-2Mh5wLK8o87XgR4LxHS0eSpEgLpbY6z0TZI9uMp_cxRFbOFmpcLRDvgRSXgna72Sy_f-AOAE9u2g46Mc053kcp0Xhx5n3ZHEFSclJNFWnUIX68QtmHOPjVCaKTLAXO0oGotCtDGhwmIeUAuLnQpJ04tpGbJJX1uijA59-T-WcU-B2mxl8ealWfYmDHUTmA00Zo0Va2T1TdquYuvtuYjJaPW4BBnlZdgHyxTrZBl=w395-h297-no

Now I think you're going with a bench seat. If you put the switch on the riser, you could use a rocker like this:
73391_primary_450px.jpg

, or put a guard around the switch so you don't step on it:
s-l1600.jpg

I am working on a auto-cancel signal if that would interest you.

Last edited:
I don't like the add-on turn signals either. I like the simple hot rod column. So I put the switch in a small project box between my bucket seats:
hSIp2qVZOvzABJ09AvfcWUoNj0LGfkUz2Qd_dZZzJnUVaHC3zHoBfWzW9RRp-HbBZ5eFUmKzK-P-K1TEyFElKUfHVkagcUwGCLMd7Lw6z74HEoS2rxuFBzr7yAl4vVgdDKdwyRUGl2U5J6vHRyUUPuXOBT8jpk-PQXa7jb6nowIkwOax0ifkBr0b98WmF1eAhjfUOE9kdAGeURXvTynJ8PUXSnMiBzjUj9wBPcQhekmlRSby4QR_HEAV43CNf3fcZPdybmEcNjA1wyqBVyvllMyp_9EUQgVN55nc3G6R36fI5XFfasCdL9DEK0Vxcx-nzMZ4OHngYu5Mg89UE5-tSa5U--miq8oN1IS0V_pVrSg9Wb3rcd8pCNq3IDikHCfwDHcYQYv0bspbnmUr1psxaQeIsUeJBAARHdVTeC7YAGExUcO_7BrBrsMi93sO2yslOXP0aajiccps8ZcV-2Mh5wLK8o87XgR4LxHS0eSpEgLpbY6z0TZI9uMp_cxRFbOFmpcLRDvgRSXgna72Sy_f-AOAE9u2g46Mc053kcp0Xhx5n3ZHEFSclJNFWnUIX68QtmHOPjVCaKTLAXO0oGotCtDGhwmIeUAuLnQpJ04tpGbJJX1uijA59-T-WcU-B2mxl8ealWfYmDHUTmA00Zo0Va2T1TdquYuvtuYjJaPW4BBnlZdgHyxTrZBl=w395-h297-no

Now I think you're going with a bench seat. If you put the switch on the riser, you could use a rocker like this:

p_788717.h_788719

7700028.pdf
, or put a guard around the switch so you don't step on it:

I like your way of thinking.

I like the idea of an adjustable time-out setting, so when you change lanes it still goes
off. That way you don't look stupid driving along with your blinker on!

If there are wiring diagrams to any switches, please post them or a link will also work.

Some Flexo braided sleeve and maybe some Adel clamps. I have both, but if you want a specific color like Red, then you might have to order some. There will be other places that need protection and cosmetic dress up like the engine bay. The closed braid can be a pain to add wires at a later date, so keep that in mind.

I bought mine here.....
WireCare.com | Your Local Cable Management Superstore!

Do you have a plan for dis-connecting the harness from the body? Will those connectors fit thru a 3/4 inch hole? You can wire direct, but it's not nearly as easy to reconnect all the wires. But then again you will not have over 12 circuits. Your call.

I have Deutsch DT and DTM connectors with 2 to 12 wires each. Here is some info to consider .....
Deutsch DT Connector Basics | Deutsch Connector Store

Deutsch Connectors – The Basics:
Deutsch DTM Series:
This size 20 connector will accommodate wire sizes from 22-16 gauge depending on which contact is used. DTM connectors come in 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 pin configurations. The maximum current (amp) draw on each pin would be 7.5 amps continuously.

Deutsch DT Series:
This size 16 connector will accommodate wire sizes from 20-14 gauge depending on which contact is used.. DT connectors come in 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 pin configurations. The maximum current (amp) draw on each pin would be 13 amps continuously.

Deutsch DTP Series:
This size 12 connectors will accommodate wire from 14-10 gauge depending on which contact is used. DTP connectors are only available in 2 and 4 pin configurations. The maximum current (amp) draw on each pin would be 25 amps continuously.

Will the fan switch control a relay that carries the high current. It's the preferred way.

No, it will come directly from the battery positive terminal.

Very good thinking and planning!
Why does it matter if the charging wire goes from alt to starter pos. Or alt to bat pos. ??

Why does it matter if the charging wire goes from alt to starter pos. Or alt to bat pos. ??
Nothing electrically, but it's another connection that can come loose or ..... I just prefer
going direct when convenient.

Not a big deal, it's your choice.

Most of the time it doesn't matter . . . but . . .
Considering that some alternators are more electrically noisy than others, and that some sensitive electronics, like EFI systems, tend to be more glitchy in electrically noisy power installations, running the alt output directly back to the battery goes a long way to alleviate the electrical noise in the system.

Most of the time it doesn't matter . . . but . . .
Considering that some alternators are more electrically noisy than others, and that some sensitive electronics, like EFI systems, tend to be more glitchy in electrically noisy power installations, running the alt output directly back to the battery goes a long way to alleviate the electrical noise in the system.
I find that hard to believe......electrical noise suppression requires an active filter from the little bit I know....

Ok, I can see this going off topic on a small difference in opinion.

PotvinGuy said "I am working on a auto-cancel signal if that would interest you."

I, too, have my turn signals on a switch between the seats. I often forget to flip the switch to off, so I would love to hear about an auto-cancel feature!!!

Lots of people make self-cancelling turn signal modules that are in the $50 - $150 range, but I bet @PotvinGuy already knows this and is coming up with something new.

Lots of people make self-cancelling turn signal modules that are in the $50 - $150 range, but I bet @PotvinGuy already knows this and is coming up with something new.
Yeah, I've been looking at those, but haven't found quite the functionality I'd like. Want to cover lane change, turning without stopping and waiting to turn at a light or sign. And don't want to have to push the button multiple times or guess at how long to push it. Gimme a few days...

Harley switches? And a longer /programable timer?
I've looked at the bike switches. They are limited like the car switches. I would like to add some timer adjustment and also make it work with LEDs. Eliminate the flasher in a can.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back