Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tire Sizes

It's not as tight as I like. Still has too much back lash. I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast.
Removing free play is the worst thing you can do to a Corvair box. The end cap only loads the bearings and should be very light. The lash adjustment should also have some free play. Some people say to adjust for a tight spot in the center. They also run toe-out and then complain about shimmy and tire wear. Lightly adjusted box with 1/8" toe-in lets the car track true on its own and you don't have to be busy with it all the time. My car will track true hands-off all day long and my 5-year-old tires look like new. There is a couple of inches of play in the wheel but it steers beautifully. Adjustment is per original Corvair shop manual.

Removing free play is the worst thing you can do to a Corvair box. The end cap only loads the bearings and should be very light. The lash adjustment should also have some free play. Some people say to adjust for a tight spot in the center. They also run toe-out and then complain about shimmy and tire wear. Lightly adjusted box with 1/8" toe-in lets the car track true on its own and you don't have to be busy with it all the time. My car will track true hands-off all day long and my 5-year-old tires look like new. There is a couple of inches of play in the wheel but it steers beautifully. Adjustment is per original Corvair shop manual.

I think what they mean is adjust AT the tight spot in the center.
All boxes, Corvair or whatever, are designed with tighter clearances at the center position.
This is where wear occurs and also where the most precise fit of the gears is required.
You set the box up so that the wheels are exactly straight when the box is at its dead center position to take advantage of this precise fit.
The tight fit goes away just off center so you need to be a bit picky during fit up.

If the boxes didn't have the tight spot they would become useless once worn slightly as it would be impossible to adjust them. Any adjustment in that case would mean that getting the clearance back to normal at center would make them too tight everywhere else!

My Corvair steering is centered correctly, adjusted correctly and drives excellent with very little if any play at all...on center. You definately WILL get some play just off center.
Theres no need for a Corvair box to be set up sloppy...but you definately don't want it to bind on center either.

I think what they mean is adjust AT the tight spot in the center.
All boxes, Corvair or whatever, are designed with tighter clearances at the center position.
This is where wear occurs and also where the most precise fit of the gears is required.
You set the box up so that the wheels are exactly straight when the box is at its dead center position to take advantage of this precise fit.
The tight fit goes away just off center so you need to be a bit picky during fit up.

If the boxes didn't have the tight spot they would become useless once worn slightly as it would be impossible to adjust them. Any adjustment in that case would mean that getting the clearance back to normal at center would make them too tight everywhere else!

My Corvair steering is centered correctly, adjusted correctly and drives excellent with very little if any play at all...on center. You definately WILL get some play just off center.
Theres no need for a Corvair box to be set up sloppy...but you definately don't want it to bind on center either.
Not set up sloppy, but by the manual. I think it's .020 under the lash screw, or backed out just a little after contact. Did it 5 years ago by the book and no adjustment necessary since then.

That pdf file was very helpful for me.
I reversed mine ,, but same deal.

Back on schedule ,, I am planning Mickey Radials front and back.
12X15's on the back I think they are 30's, and 6X15 on the front I think are 26's.
Not real a big fan of the tread pattern, kinda looks like flames.
But there really isn't much out there for options one you get into those bigger sizes and I want fronts and rears to match.
What I really like is the firestones on the Speedway tribute car, but I want wider rears.

Last edited:

12X15's on the back I think they are 30's, and 6X15 on the front I think are 26's.
But there really isn't much out there for options one you get into those bigger sizes and I want fronts and rears to match.
What I really like is the firestones on the Speedway tribute car, but I want wider rears.

Take a good look at the T/A radials. They are similar in size and have a conservative, old-school tread pattern that looks good on Ts. My rears are 11x27, fronts 7x24, and both come even lower and wider if you want. Nice stance (see photo), cheap, long-wearing, and classic good looks.

Do you guys think that wider on the front is better for tracking or narrow on the front is better?
What do you consider wide?
What do you consider narrow?
I know that is a lot of questions but is is better when you nail it down with numbers attached to "wide" or "narrow".

Thanks,

Bill

Just my 2 cents: I want a wider tire on my front end. I'm running 185/60 - 14's now, and it seems to steer and handle well. The two functions that I want from those tires are stopping ability, and steering ability, and I don't think skinny motorcycle tires will do the job.
T garage - frt2.jpg

I don't think skinny motorcycle tires will do the job.
View attachment 12670

Quite probably correct. But for me its the essence of a Fad to have them. Just like the monster bikes.... slow around the corner and a mind blowing squirt on the 'not so bendy bits'.

Couldn't think what my T would look like with wide fronts on it. Horses for courses; one man poison etc etc.
G

Do you guys think that wider on the front is better for tracking or narrow on the front is better?
What do you consider wide?
What do you consider narrow?
I know that is a lot of questions but is is better when you nail it down with numbers attached to "wide" or "narrow".

Thanks,

Bill
There is a site called (I believe) DML tire/wheel calculator which gives dimensions of any tire, speedometer correction, A/B comparison, etc. Find tires you like and see the actual sizes. You can also figure RPMs for various speeds, estimate ride height and such. I used it when choosing my combo.

Just my 2 cents: I want a wider tire on my front end. I'm running 185/60 - 14's now, and it seems to steer and handle well. The two functions that I want from those tires are stopping ability, and steering ability, and I don't think skinny motorcycle tires will do the job.
View attachment 12670

When I built my first T Bucket. I had Hallcraft's and motorcycle tires on front. I loved them.... BUT I had to get used to them. Trying to take a sharp turn at speed NEVER worked and I kept going straight more than once. Stopping quickly on a wet surface was another no-no. All that aside, the look out weighed the bad. When I rebuilt after the accident, I went with 165R-15's mainly because I couldn't afford a new set of wires. My Hallcraft's were a Craigslist score at $300 for the pair.

Trying to take a sharp turn at speed NEVER worked and I kept going straight more than once. Stopping quickly on a wet surface was another no-no. All that aside, the look out weighed the bad.

And there is the essence of a T. You drive it like it wants.... not the other way around.

According to that, mine is spot on.. Car tracks great. There is a just a bit of slack in steering wheel. It's OK but not as tight as I like a steering to feel.

If you have a "couple of inches of play in the wheel" you have something wrong. Should be zero or very close to, and yes, I do mean with a Corvair box. Be safe.

If you have a "couple of inches of play in the wheel" you have something wrong. Should be zero or very close to, and yes, I do mean with a Corvair box. Be safe.
Sorry, going with the Chevrolet manual on this one. This is absolutely correct for a Corvair box and has worked beautifully for 9 years. Over-adjusted boxes are the #1 cause of wear and failure. My steering is feather-light, accurate, and safe.

I'm running 155/80x15 on the front and 285/70x15 on the rear.

Jim

Jim, just to let you know..... I'm stealing your tire sizes for my build. AGAIN!;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back