Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tires

For the Big tires what do you prefer/recommend by experience.

• Total voters
If other please post and let us know. I am not aware of another manufacturer that makes tires this wide.

Thanks,

I'm not using ultra wide tires on my bucket (305-50 15's) so I like Cooper Cobras. (I have BFG's on there now.)

Car show1.jpg

And that's where the problems start , a 15x12 , you're down to probably 3or 4 makers , go up in the dia. your selection is greater , and just because you can buy size Q from brand X today doesn't mean they'll have them tomorrow ...

This is also an issue. Who do you trust to get tires from 15 years from now.
I believe Micky Thompson and Hoosier will still be making tires for that size.
I don't think Coker will still be making the Firestone 15 years from now.

2O2F, did you think 15 years ago that there would be the things that we have today? Probably not.......We're the same age and it amazes me what they invent and innovate, daily!

I think probably the biggest change has been the overwhelming growth of the internet , and the similarly baffling decline of brick and mortar retailers......I understand the get it now/ cheap thing , but I feel somehow shortchanged that I can't touch , feel, smell the product I'm buying.........

Intrepid says " in 15 years" , hell , 5 years ago .I put a new set of 185-70r 14 Cooper cobras on the front-end , 2 years ago they were NLA .... BTW , you did know that Coked sold out , right ??

I think the issue is that with the smaller rims you can get tires from just about anywhere.
With the bigger rims you are limited like 2old2fast says to about 4 manufacturers.
And lets be honest these big rims can get very expensive, and the tires to go on them are expensive.
This is a significant investment and you want to get it right the first time.

Sold to CEO Wade Kawasaki in concert with an investment group , Corky was kept ( at least temporarily ) as an " advisor"....

The internet is great for buying things fast, cheap and easy. Some times I want to touch, feel and look at what I'm buying before I buy it. There are times that I don't know what I want and would like to look around and hold it in my hands first. That's what's good about going to a store and looking around.

Some times I want to touch, feel and look at what I'm buying before I buy it. There are times that I don't know what I want and would like to look around and hold it in my hands first. That's what's good about going to a store and looking around.

I could not agree more!!!

That's what was so great about junkyards , you could look around at how different makers built things and get an idea or part for your car , we used to have 3 in town , now there's 1 , and it's a front for selling drugs .....sad....

We are getting a bit off topic here.
But I still would like to add my 2 cents here.
The governments recycling incentives have done more harm than good. (this may only apply to Canada I don't know how its going in the states)
What once was a wrecking yard that people could go to and by parts has now become car crushers for scrap prices.
This has major trickle down impact.
1) It is almost impossible to keep an older (15 years) vehicle on the road for a decent price.
2) There are no decent older (15 years) vehicles to buy they have all been crushed.
3) This separates the lower class from the upper class even more and eliminates the middle class who have the means to do the work on there own vehicles.
4) The insurance companies consider a write off if it needs a paint job and it gets crushed.

OK .. back to Tire options for the big.

My personal feeling is there's no good reason to run anything bigger than an 9"+- width , AFA dia , there's a lot of new-er vehicles using 16" tires , so that'd be where I'd be looking.,...anything less than a 55 profile is not enough sidewall , IMO.......

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back