Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

To shackle or not to shackle?

OptimusPrime

Question is can I run my semi eliptical straight to the axle with out the shackle or would it be better with the shackle. I've read that you can reduce wheel hop without the shackle. This is on the front of course.

To shackle or not to shackle this is question. Yea though it would be nobler to shackle do yea dare shackle. Yea though i walk through the valley of death i will fear no shackle. Bring forth the shackler and start the shackling. i hope this helped. Rooster chapter 5 verse 9

Verily I say.... thou hast been imparted with the wisdom of Rooster.
Shackle on, McPrime!

By the way... I haven't seen any emails with pictures to re-size for you.

Gizmo ye speak with the wisdom of ten men.
Seriously Prime PM Exjunk he has a sweet eliptical setup.

yea i sayith, mcjunk does have a knarly set up an will indeed copy it, just makin sure, thanks fella's

I looked at a lot of others before I did mine and saw it done with and without. If you use a radius rod you'll have to shackle. If you incorporate the spring as part of a 4-bar setup it'll have to be no shackle. I built mine with split wishbones so had to shackle.
I've got a picture if someone would like to post it on here for me.

Question is can I run my semi eliptical straight to the axle with out the shackle or would it be better with the shackle. I've read that you can reduce wheel hop without the shackle. This is on the front of course.

I believe you mean QUARTER elliptic not semi elliptic. A semi elliptic spring is mounted to the frame on both ends with the axle suspended in the middle of the spring. A quarter elliptic has only one end connected to the frame and the other end is connected to the axle.

On my car I am using a shackle on the axle with a four bar. Check the picture.

IMG_2313.jpg

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back