Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Top Cruising Speed

Mr. Fixit

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding a safe "top speed" for t- buckets assuming that they are properly set up etc. Realizing that the front end technology is near a century old, do you all feel comfortable at 50, 60, 70, 80 mph???? I have gone only 65 mph in mine and for some reason I start to feel uncomfortable.

Dont get me wrong, it is not speed in general that erks me as I have another very fast car that I have driven at 170 mph with no fears. :angel:

Thanks...

I Have had mine up to About 70 mph, but with the roads around here 55 mph is about the fastest I think is safe.
Gary

Have had mine to 100 mph but generally don't exceed 75. Usually cruise at 65 on highways.

Fastest before common sence kicked in? 110mph. Highway driving about 65-75mph. I usually TRY to do the limit around town. I've rarely felt scared of driving her, but it took a while to reach that point. I've had people mention it and it's a good question. I considered that when I first made up my mind to build one.

Cruise between 55- 75 , depends on traffic & interstate or 2 lane , I've had mine to 135 before my brain engaged [albeit briefly] ..

dave

Considering the characteristics of the typical T body and chassis, I think anything over 70-75 is asking for trouble. Granted, if your chassis was set up by an autocross or road-race guy and the aerodynamics of your body are tuned to the proper degree, much faster is possible. Remember, we're not that far removed from the old altered dragsters, whose high-speed shenanigans are legendary!!

EDIT: I'm talkin' 'bout before wings. The wings helped a lot with high-speed stability, but still a pretty scary ride!

Mine cruises nice at 75. Wind noise is a problem, though.

As the Brits say, "It'll do the ton" without any problems. :angel:

Mike

Considering the characteristics of the typical T body and chassis, I think anything over 70-75 is asking for trouble. Granted, if your chassis was set up by an autocross or road-race guy and the aerodynamics of your body are tuned to the proper degree, much faster is possible. Remember, we're not that far removed from the old altered dragsters, whose high-speed shenanigans are legendary!!

EDIT: I'm talkin' 'bout before wings. The wings helped a lot with high-speed stability, but still a pretty scary ride!

These cars are as aero dynamic as a brick. Wings providing down force will make a big difference in hi speed stability.

Guys, thanks for all of the responses, I appreciate it. I feel better knowing that I am not alone in the 55 to 65 range.

My car likes 65 mph but it has seen over 100 mph just ask T-Odd or anyone of the other drivers that had FUN with us about the roundy round in North Carolina.......

Mike

One of the first question people ask about my T is "how fast does it go?". standard answer is "65" (the local interstate speed limit).
I haven't had mine on the freeway yet, but a frontage road that I frequent runs alongside the freeway, so I often pace the local traffic at 65 or so (no speedo in my T). it handles great at speed, but I do worry about blowing off the top or windshield when the speeds get up over 70 or so. :angel:

Russ

I've done about 440. 'Course that's just the pitch of my side-piped small block pretend-driving raspberry. And it got such funny looks from the storage unit staff that I've refrained for a while... but only a while.

Lies, lies, nothing but bald-faced lies but it sounded funny so I hadda write it. No doubt my warn status will be turning colors any time now... :fewl:

I've regularly driven my bucket long distances on the highway driving to T Bucket Nats in Mountain Home, Ark twice; to Springfield, IL; back from Lenoir, NC (well that was actually Toolman doing the driving but my bucket); to Dayton, OH... and there were Hot Rod power tours, Redneck Rumbles (that's this weekend isn't it?) and other over 100 mile cruises. I've had the car on a roundy round track in NC and had the engine revved higher than it's ever revved before, and pictures to prove it.

I drive like a race car driver. I keep the car above 75mph for long periods of time. If you're scared to drive faster, then don't do it. If the car doesn't feel right, go with your gut.

Kletus gets driven, Kletus gets driven hard and fast. Kletus likes it that way.

oops, forgot the pic...

3656482843_356bd8f617_z.jpg

I've regularly driven my bucket long distances on the highway driving to T Bucket Nats in Mountain Home, Ark twice; to Springfield, IL; back from Lenoir, NC (well that was actually Toolman doing the driving but my bucket); to Dayton, OH... and there were Hot Rod power tours, Redneck Rumbles (that's this weekend isn't it?) and other over 100 mile cruises. I've had the car on a roundy round track in NC and had the engine revved higher than it's ever revved before, and pictures to prove it.

I drive like a race car driver. I keep the car above 75mph for long periods of time. If you're scared to drive faster, then don't do it. If the car doesn't feel right, go with your gut.

Are you coming to the Rumble? We will be there set up selling our stuff. Stop by and see use.

Ya, but you cheat by not using a traditional T windshield. next time your zipping along the freeway at 75, try standing up quickly wile holding a 3'x4' sheet of glass dead flat to the wind. :angel: :hi:

Russ

Russ

One of the first question people ask about my T is "how fast does it go?". standard answer is "65" (the local interstate speed limit).
I haven't had mine on the freeway yet, but a frontage road that I frequent runs alongside the freeway, so I often pace the local traffic at 65 or so (no speedo in my T). it handles great at speed, but I do worry about blowing off the top or windshield when the speeds get up over 70 or so. :angel:

Russ
I get the same question ALL the time. My typical answer is........" The speed limit"
Ive only had the Car for a short time but 80+ hasnt been a problem on the highway.
The car naturally attracts A LOT of attention so I see no need to try and set any land speed records in public and attract the eyes of the law.

The car naturally attracts A LOT of attention so I see no need to try and set any land speed records in public and attract the eyes of the law.
I think your answer is the best, since we simply do not condone operating any motor vehicle in violation of local laws. In every instance, top cruising speed should be whatever is posted as the legal limit. Anything else is unsafe, irresponsible and should always be avoided. Driving in excess of posted speed limits should be done on a sanctioned race track and only then after a safety inspection.

Let's leave discussion and demonstration of poor driving decisions to that other guy, who is proud of speeding and passing vehicles on a double-yellow line whilst driving around a curve, in order to teach the neighborhood teen a "lesson". We're better than that, aye?

monitor.jpg

I think I have been 65 mph. The T feels stable, but there are just so many chances for something to not go right.
I do not have seat belts, so I am sure me or we would be immediately ejected. I had a couple of uppities in a BMW
convertible pull up next to me at a red light and ask, Is that thing safe. I said, safer than a motorcycle.
There are enough hazards out there without being one. Ditto on QuadBart.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back