Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Torque specs

To tell you the very truth, I don't really use locktite of any kind on my T, that I remember... A rubber type windshield sealer I use for off road chassis fasteners, it is easy enough to replace and holds things very nicely from coming loose on their own... Just does not look that great on a T Bucket... I usually use good quality lock washers, but if I build another car, it will have the nuts hidden (all that I can) and I may use cotter pins and/or safety wire to lock the fasteners, better safe than sorry... My Angel has saved me several times, glad to say, and She can fly real fast :)

To tell you the very truth, I don't really use locktite of any kind on my T, that I remember... A rubber type windshield sealer I use for off road chassis fasteners, it is easy enough to replace and holds things very nicely from coming loose on their own... Just does not look that great on a T Bucket... I usually use good quality lock washers, but if I build another car, it will have the nuts hidden (all that I can) and I may use cotter pins and/or safety wire to lock the fasteners, better safe than sorry... My Angel has saved me several times, glad to say, and She can fly real fast :)

I believe that many,or perhaps most builders use nylock nuts for most of the bolt/nut fasteners. With nylocks you cannot measure a proper torque value due to the high friction/grip of the nut. For grade 8 fasteners just tighten as much as you can with standard length wrenches. If you are not using lock nuts, you can find torque tables on the net. Use blue locktite, not the red. Red is considered to be "Permenant". You would likely have to heat the fasteners to remove them at some time in the future.

Millions of fasteners used in aircraft, commercial and military, are called HiLoks. It's a bolt and a self-locking nut. They do not come loose yet they can be removed. The nut has an external spline so a special wrench is required. A snap-off hex is used to install with a standard wrench. If you use self-locking nuts and tighten really tight, they will not come loose. Nylock nuts are used on all kinds of military vehicles that see tougher action than our cars will ever experience. Castle nuts with cotter pin are needed when the fastener is to be left loose or just a bit tight. I've worked in the aircraft industry for many years and those guys know their fasteners.

Hey Ted, what happened? you give up on acorn nuts?

dave

I ran out of Dome nuts... I should have never put them on customers cars, should have kept them all for myself... I see that they still make them... I think I got lazy really, I had to always make or cut every bolt so just the right amount of threads were showing for the lock washers and dome nuts... I still love that clean look... :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back