Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Total Performance Frame

Waterman

Have a Total Performance frame, I want to remove 5" from in front of the radiator (tube against radiator), I don't know the length of the frame but the wheel base is 100", The frame has the friction shocks in the front tube, Has anyone ever moved the front tube back ? Thanks

Hey, Waterman - good to hear from you! I'm not sure what you're asking, but I would think the front crossmember - usually a 3" tube - can be moved back anywhere you want it, as long as it doesn't interfere with other components. On my car (see pic) that would shorten the wheelbase, since the crossmember carries the spring perch.

9 front axle.jpg

Thanks, Spanky, I know I have to relocate my brackets, that is not a problem, I was wondering if shorting it by 5" would change the handling ? I purchased the car and have had to rebuild every thing on it, It has a purple frame (power coat ) and I need to change the color, I do not like the space open in front of the radiator, This is my second T, Should not have sold the first !!.

Shortening the frame will make the car not track as well at speed , it will " hunt". ( Won't hold a straight line as easily ) if I might ask , why do you want it shorter ???AFA doing it , get a new cross member and spring perch , it will be decidedly easier than trying to reuse the old parts ......

I don't like the open space (5") in front of the radiator, I have to remove the frame to get rid of the color, so at the same time, I would like to get rid of that space, My first T was short but I don't know the wheelbase, Is 95" wheel base too short ?

Also I am a certified welder and can use the old front cross member, just would like to see what other T buckets have for a wheel base , Thanks to all

The other thing is I have not removed the front torsion shock, I think it is only a threaded bar, that goes through the front cross member, but not sure.

I don't like the open space (5") in front of the radiator
Add a blower with a wide belt drive, that will need about 4 inches. Which will make you move the radiator forward by the same amount.

I see you have over 10 messages now, so you should be able to post pictures! :)
Re: wheelbase - a shorter wheelbase car will definitely handle differently from a longer one, but, not necessarily "worse" - mine is 103" fyi.

Those are bolts with the heads welded inside the frame , nothing goes through the cross member. In time , materials and aggravation , you'll easily surpass the cost of a piece of tubing ( machine shop gave me a cutoff for free,) , cutting out , cleaning up the old cross member. You could take a piece of 11 GA. And close that hole , , split a piece of exhaust tubing to roll the edge in front of the radiator

Those are bolts welded inside. Simply cut the welds on the front crossmember, shorten it up . Drill new section for bolts and reweld. The hardest part will be salvaging the front tube.

Those are bolts with the heads welded inside the frame , nothing goes through the cross member. In time , materials and aggravation , you'll easily surpass the cost of a piece of tubing ( machine shop gave me a cutoff for free,) , cutting out , cleaning up the old cross member. You could take a piece of 11 GA. And close that hole , , split a piece of exhaust tubing to roll the edge in front of the radiator
Well , once again , I didn't type everything I thought !!what I thought in the last sentence was ......to close the gap between the cross member and radiator ,take a piece of 11 ga.

Thanks, Won't let me post picture (to large) and I don't know how to make it smaller, Thanks, for the info on the front shocks, I thought it was a rod going from one side to the other, So how did they get the bolts welded in both sides of tube ?

The cross member is as long as the frame is wide , less the wall thickness of the rect. Tube. The inside of the frame tube is cut in a " C" shape , the outside is kinda a pregnant E , the upper and lower faces are left long enough to wrap around the frt of the tube . The bolts are accessible for welding once the frame tubes are pre- cut .....hope this makes sense...

Yes, , I figured the bolts are welded to the frame rails and the 3" tube is slid over and welded in place. Thanks
Can anyone tell me how to get my pictures with less bites, they are 3.5 and I think they need to be 1 ?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back