Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Total Performance Frame

I have one that is 114" and one that is 104". The longer one rides slightly better but also weighs 200 lbs. more. The shorter one has been lent to many people to use while their T-buckets were apart, and all have said that it also has a great ride. Now for the shameless plug - both are 100% CCR.

it only has a problem when I am over 50 and NAIL it, then the right wheel starts to bounce ,

I take it no one thinks this may be down to chassis warp....

my 'limited' experience has shown that problems with a front end, tends NOT to be specific to one wheel, unless the KP on just that side is shot.

Problem could be with any of the 4 wheels since frame twist ( mandatory with a ladder frame) either loads or unloads them all, when he loads the right front he's unloading the right rear, unloading the left front , loading the left rear ...the main point is , the right front shock is incapable of controlling the wheel and keep it from bouncing. Either figure out why it's bouncing or find a way to control it ...

Thanks, all !! I took apart the front torsion brackets, Pads looked great, but did not have any pressure on the pads, maybe with some pressure on pads, the right wheel might not bounce,
Also do you think 96" wheelbase is to short ?

Also I did some measuring and with the Total Performance front end and narrow spring, it would be difficult to put tube shocks on, I think I will drive it after the snow is gone and decide if I want to keep the torsion shock setup.

This is set up off the basic tp
frt end , you can see the friction shock nuts being used to secure the upper shock mount , the lower shock mount is attached to a 3 hole shackle plate . You realize Mickey's retired and lives in Florida , speedway bought out his company ......

Attachments

• IMG_20181114_121337.jpg
    IMG_20181114_121337.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 39
Yes, I have talked to Mickey, He has given me a lot of information on my car, and a great person !! and Thanks for the photo of the TP shock conversion, I need something that looks a liter better, My first T did not have any shocks on it, I installed chrome shocks and stainless brackets, but the spring was longer and away from the frame, so I could get the length of the shock and still look good, Mostly I go to the post office or in to the auto parts or to Bass Lake for a hamburger, I want something that looks good and performs. Thanks, to all !!!

Last edited:
2old2fast, I have not ask Mickey about shorting the frame yet, I wanted input as if someone has done it to there T frame, Sorry you don't understand !!!

Did some measuring on the front tube, It is not 3" it is 2.678" or just a little bigger than 2 5/8" with power coating, and 2' long, wondering if I can't salvage the front tube does any one make the front perch for this size tube ? or are all the tubed this size and just referred as 3" ? Thanks

Give RPM a call or you can make it yourself. Save time and get a new tube and perch or take the time and cut away the frame from the tube, your choice. Just have to keep an eye on under cutting the tube.

I will not do it until after the weather turns warm, (don't have a heated garage), I did find out from Mickey that the cross member is 2 5/8 " , The frame was designed for a big block and a blower, I will try to remove the cross member and keep it clean to re install it, Or I will contact RPM and get the parts I need. Thanks

Mickey told me they made one frame for the v6 to the big block with a blower, I would think they setup the engine and radiator mounts for the engine of your chose, he also told me that he did not use the top and bottom frame to wrap around the front crossmember, He would take a piece of 3" tubing and cut it in half and weld it in, I would think the wrapping of the frame around the front tube would be stronger.

A BBC is 1 1/4" longer than a SBC , I doubt anything on the chassis was.built differently....

I can't say for sure about a TP frame, but for a Spirit frame, if it was built for a customer who specified they were using a BBC, the frame is made 2" longer between the engine mounts and radiator mounts and the front of the frame to accommodate the longer engine. Both BBC and SBC are the same length from the mounts back.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back