Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Total Performance 'glass hardtop?

Speedway does have the Total Performance top molds. They are not going to build any product, and I'm guessing they bought out Totals inventory and molds to keep the products off the market.
My friend purchased the last, or one of the last Total Performance T Bucket kits months before they sold out. He didn't get the rear fenders or the top at the time not realizing that Mickey was selling his company. A few months later I got a call at my shop in South Carolina from my friend asking if I could locate a top and fenders for his kit. I was told his car was being assembled in Dayton Beach and that Mickey had sold out to Speedway. I called Speedway and they couldn't have been019.JPG more pleasant. I was told that they had some inventory and that they would not be producing any of the Total Performances parts, but that they would sell off the inventory, and once it was gone there would be no more. I asked if they had a top and the wide fenders. The gentleman told me he wasn't sure what was out in the warehouse, but if I gave him my phone number and name he would call within one day. I gave him the information figuring that I would never hear from him again. I've been around industry for fifty years and so much has changed in that time. Today you can't rely on anyone to do what they say they will, and when you find someone that will you sure as heck keep them on your list of people to do buisness with. Within twenty four hours I received a call from the Speedway representative. I was told that he had one top, and only one set of fenders that where the narrow ones. I told him to place them on hold and that my friend would call him within the hour to make arrangements to pay for the items.
They sent the top and fenders to my shop and I modified one fender to the wide width, and made a mold. I then took the top and made a mold of it. I then placed the top back in the box it was shipped in and sent it on to Daytona Beach so that the car could be completed. I later made four rear fenders. One extra set to be put in storage. I made a few tops from the mold and there also in storage.
So a mold does exist and it's in my storage area.
If you ever wondered why Speedway has been so successful just look at there sales department. It's not very often in this day and age that you find a first class company . Speedway sure is that, and I would recommend them to everyone.
Any personal questions about this post you may email me at jsweet450@yahoo.com
Johnny Sweet

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    565.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    517 KB · Views: 133
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    568.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    573.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    558.2 KB · Views: 124
Some people badmouth Speedway but I have been dealing with them for probably over 30 years and never have had one situation where they didn't try to do the right thing. My Son had some bad dusting and squealing on the Wilwood brakes on the front of his T bucket and called them just to ask what he could do. Without asking for it they sent him new rotors, pads,and a residual valve at no charge. That is just one of the times they have stepped up to the plate for us when needed.

For that reason I always pick up the Speedway catalog first, and have had the same experience with Summit.

Don

Some people badmouth Speedway but I have been dealing with them for probably over 30 years and never have had one situation where they didn't try to do the right thing. My Son had some bad dusting and squealing on the Wilwood brakes on the front of his T bucket and called them just to ask what he could do. Without asking for it they sent him new rotors, pads,and a residual valve at no charge. That is just one of the times they have stepped up to the plate for us when needed.

For that reason I always pick up the Speedway catalog first, and have had the same experience with Summit.

Don
Not to get too off topic, But I agree 100% with Don. Speedway has been nothing but good and fair to me in all my dealings. Their products are pretty accurately represented and the web site keeps getting better. Summit is the same way. Years ago, I bought some cheap headers from Summit for my '68 Cougar. It wasn't clear that I also needed to buy a special drop bracket for the Power Steering. I called them up and they apologized for not being clear and sent me the $20 bracket for free. That's good service.

I appreciate all the response to this !!

Jimbo01 was right on re: the top, Corbin shows what looks like the same top on the first page of their catalog (about 6th down- right below 23 interior insert). I spoke to Speedway people, in person, about this top and was assured they didn't have the molds. They make a similar product already.

@ Johnny Sweet: Prices? or did you make those just for your own use?

I've only used Speedway for a few things over the years; they don't carry much specific to 53-56 F-100's (my 1st automotive love) . Every vendor can have ups and downs; a bad supplier; a bad employee or just a bad day.
I personally had a bad experience with a Dearborn Deuce salesperson at a show. I guess I wasn't dressed nice enough because when I asked the price, he said "20"; I looked at my friend and said "Thats not bad". The salesman then said "That's twenty THOUSAND". It really put me off, thinking they were a bunch of snotty jerks. It bugged me so bad that I brought it up to "a guy" at their booth at Goodguys in Columbus. "The guy" turned out to be John Inglese (the owner). He apologized; was very polite; showed my wife and around and without making excuses, said he knew who was at that show and would look into it. His politeness and geniality more than made up for the salesman's rudeness. Long story short - I learned not to judge a company by one employee or one bad experience. If they're jerks and selling junk they won't last.

Thanks Guys!
Jim

That first Link is kinda bad ass I like it, Just can't see myself puting a top on permantly feels like I would ruin the fun of being a roadster

That first Link is kinda bad ass I like it, Just can't see myself puting a top on permantly feels like I would ruin the fun of being a roadster

It's made to be removable or tilt in the back.

Well, I'm looking to build a '26/'27 for/with my wife!! The top is a must, but h3ll, it's still an open car, right? She needs to know how I feel when people admire/stare at one of my vehicles. She already gets the slack-jaw look from guys who see her checking her own oil, or hear her correctly identify every model of T, A & '32. Can you imagine the look when people find out it's HER car or the look on her co-worker's faces when she drives it to school?? TFEVERFRED: you tag line says it all.

Yah, I'm braggin' but after 25 years I think I have right to!

One Lucky SoB,
Jim

I made the 23 T bodies for Total Performance including the standard, anniversary and the door car. I also have the mold for the 23 standard fg hardtop

Depending on the time in history I built the second set of molds that Total Performance used back in the 1970's. I did the molds for a company in Merrimack New Hampshire that Total had commissioned the work to. At the time I was manufacturing my Sweet Motorcycle sidecars and was in the development of my Sweet 55 T Bird reproduction car. I was also building Bowling alley parts that competed with Brunswick so projects came and went. I'm not sure how many years they got out of those molds, but it could have taken them up into the late 1990's depending on how they were taken care of, and how many units were made from them. I wouldn't think that they were the same molds that Jaspar has, to many years and to many parts to still be usable.
When I decided to take the time and build my own T Bucket after more than fifty years I made yet another set of molds off a buddy's T Bucket after doing the finish work. I could have just purchased a body from any of the great company's out there, but decided that I wanted to construct and fabricate my entire car not build it from other peoples parts and materials. I've been having one grand time fabricating my little light weight racer. Having built Sprint, and Super Modified race cars in the past I have incorporated many of the things we did back in the day in my T Bucket. When finished if I cranked some wedge in the torsion bars and some stagger into the rear tires Ill be able to run it around a circle track just like a super, or Sprint car.
I didn't intend on getting long winded, and off topic, but you know how it is when you get to be an old man.
Johnny Sweet

I made the 23 T bodies for Total Performance including the standard, anniversary and the door car. I also have the mold for the 23 standard fg hardtop

So would you make any and for what cost? Two people have responded like they could do it, but they have not answered the question. ARE THEY AVAILABLE and if so HOW MUCH?

Because of ethics " are they available, and if so how much" can't be written on this forum. There are paying advertisers that pay for the privileged to advertise there wares, but they just don't happen to produce the product mentioned. That said if you send a personal email your question could possibly be answered. If your only interested in finding out " how much and if they are available" just for conversation purposes then this conversation will not go any further. I beleave the advertisers should be honored, and us non paying venders/manufacturers should let the public find us threw other means.
Not just my .02 cents, but an entire $1.00 worth. This is a great forum, and the advertisers keep it going. I personally may advertise in the future, but I'm into some other projects at this time, and my T Bucket is a part time thing even though I have all the tooling/molds and a facility for a full time production if I so desired.
Johnny Sweet jsweet450@yahoo.com

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back