Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

total top

From what I've seen, it would depend on what manufacturer you go with. A lot of them attach to the body, on the upper side panels. You would probably have to remove or pull back the inside panel to attach the hardware. Some use a hinge type setup on the back, top rail of the body, but these are usually the ones that flip back for entry. Again, removal or at least seperating the material from the body would have to be done.

Anyone seen any different?

Here's a pic I found of a top....don't know if it's just the angle of the photo, but this top seems like a lower profile than most I've seen.

all-world1 said:
Here's a pic I found of a top....don't know if it's just the angle of the photo, but this top seems like a lower profile than most I've seen.

I hate getting old... He's a member of the NTBA, nice looking car for sure... Anyway, I'm sure that's a custom fabrication but I did a post at NTBA to locate the owner so hopefully I can put him in contact with you to find out how he built/had it built... Stay tuned!

LumenAl said:
I hate getting old... He's a member of the NTBA, nice looking car for sure... Anyway, I'm sure that's a custom fabrication but I did a post at NTBA to locate the owner so hopefully I can put him in contact with you to find out how he built/had it built... Stay tuned!

Thanks for that. I noticed that most off-the-shelf tops are for full size windshields, so I suppose that if you had a shorty windshield you'd have to have it custom made.

all-world1 said:
Thanks for that. I noticed that most off-the-shelf tops are for full size windshields, so I suppose that if you had a shorty windshield you'd have to have it custom made.

Total makes a top for the shorty, but it's for the slanted back windshield. I bet with a little thinking, someone could make one for a short, straight post windshield.

Yea but you would have to be 5 foot like Mickey at Total

The owner of the top that you had pictured is or was a NTBA member he goes by the name POWERGLIDE and he lives on the west coast side of Florida near Tampa if I remember correctly. I used to have his e-mail address but lost it in the change of computers. I'm sorry that I can't help you further.
I got to know him because the primered roadster, that is beside his car in the picture, is mine from a couple of years ago.

EX JUNK said:
The owner of the top that you had pictured is or was a NTBA member he goes by the name POWERGLIDE and he lives on the west coast side of Florida near Tampa if I remember correctly. I used to have his e-mail address but lost it in the change of computers. I'm sorry that I can't help you further.
I got to know him because the primered roadster, that is beside his car in the picture, is mine from a couple of years ago.

From what I can see, your car llooks really interesting.....something I might be able to get some ideas from. Are your pics posted anywhere?

dustytrails said:
anyone instaled a top on a bucket that has never had one? does the interior have to come out to put on any hardware?

If you're interested on how this top came together (Shown Below), I got a hold of Al (PowerGlide) and his response is below the picture:

attachment.php

The top is bunch of parts together... that top is a lot harder to implement on another car because various rodders have tried in the 18 years since we installed it and had it covered.

1. The windshield is a modified T item. It's shorter than a single T, but taller than one of the double units on a tall T windshield frame.

2. We took a Speedway top frame kit and modified it to fit Model T repo frame ends and mounts to give it a chopped look. This gives the 'swept' look to the sides. These mounts must be mounted UNDER the interior.
But I caution anyone trying to duplicate this because the mirror brackets need to be very long to see the vehicle behind you out the left and right side.

3. The next step...very important! I sit on the floor with homemade cushions. I'm also short...5'5" to 5'6".

4. You'll need a "stoplight finder" because you cannot see traffic lights.

5. And a wife that likes to squeeze in an out of a chopped top T.

6. Oh yeah, the top material will slap the top of your head if it's too close. Good luck.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back