Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TPI Tech Gauges

Neshkoro

About 4 or 5 years ago I was a Good Guys event up north in Wisconsin. I bought a set of TPI Tech gauges for my Bucket. Typical 6 gauge set. Speedo, tach, oil pressure, water temp, volt meter and gas gauge. I payed about $300-440 for them. I liked the speedometer because it was electric. There's not much room to run a cable from the transmission to the speedometer. I quickly made a new dash panel for them and then they sat until now. Life got in the way!
Yesterday I was looking on line to see if they made a GPS version of that speedometer. It seems there is not much information about TPI any more. Maybe like they're out of business!
I read some reviews and different things about them and the problems that folks were having.
So now I'm a bit reluctant to pull apart the dash and install the new one if things don't work or there's no help available.
Does anyone know anything about these folks?

Attachments

• SDC10847.JPG
    SDC10847.JPG
    369 KB · Views: 33
That is a good idea. I know the fuel gauge and the volt meter work. The tach is easy to test. The speedo is the hard one. It’s a bit cold in the garage right now. 26 degrees.
It’s supposed to warm up a bit later this week.
Thanks for your input.
Bill

I'm guessing that you have a hall- effect generator that installs on your trans , you could( after powering up ) spin that with a power drill , that would tell you if it works ..

I wonder if I could spin the pulse generator with an electric drill to bench test the speedometer. I could supply power from a battery. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I wonder if I could spin the pulse generator with an electric drill to bench test the speedometer. I could supply power from a battery. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

That's what 2old just said, I don't know how "fast" you'll be going, but the needle should move, being that it's new. I don't know if it will in a few years or months, but that's like anything, you could get one that's made on a Wednesday or a Friday before a long weekend!

Thanks .We must have posted at the same time as I didn't see your post until right now. I'll be trying that within the next few days

Well, I wired it up on the bench and the speedometer does, in fact, work! Using my battery charger and the cordless drill I was able to test it. Not the correct speed but it does register so I feel more confident about installing the gauges. I can't wait until spring!

Does you speedo have a block of very small switches on the back? If it does they are used to calibrate it to your set up. Might be worth leaving it unmounted in that case, until you can drive the car at a set MPH and go from there.

On the other hand if you are lucky there might be a calculation table somewhere on the web for that particular model of speedo. Using the diff ratio and wheel size will give you a rpm at the drive shaft for a set MPH. This will then be used to set the switches up for your car.
G

Hi Gerry,
There are no switches on the back. There is a push button switch that must be wired in to the circuit. There is a series of steps to follow. It involves driving exactly one measured mile to calibrate the unit. The calibration is what got me going to find that the company is no longer in business. I was checking to see if they offered a GPS version of the speedo. I was going to buy one. Now I find they don't offer anything!
Bill

Thanks for looking that up, Gerry.
Yes sir. That's the speedometer I have. The directions seem pretty straight forward. It's a bit too cold in the garage to do anything out there. Spring can't come too soon.
Thanks,
Bill

I have TPI. All have worked fine except the speedo. It had all this unnecessary bull s''''''''t that tells you when to change oil etc. So now the speedo works fine but instead of the miles showing I have some msg flashing all the time. It just seems to be difficult to find a speedo that just does that gives you speed, miles, and has a trip meter.

SW is what's in there now. I have no problem with them except the speedo. There just isn't the room to bend the speedo cable and aim it towards the transmission. Otherwise I would have left them. It took me 5 years to get to this point. I hope it doesn't take that long to get them in the car!

SW is what's in there now. I have no problem with them except the speedo. There just isn't the room to bend the speedo cable and aim it towards the transmission. Otherwise I would have left them. It took me 5 years to get to this point. I hope it doesn't take that long to get them in the car!

They make 90* offsets for the speedo cables to the head . I forgot where I got mine but I still have one left. About $60.00

Just look up offset speedo adaptors is what i did. Just one expencive Ratio Adapter
Cables and Adaptors, SSWhite Products | CAInstruments

Last edited:
Darn. I didn't know those existed! Thanks for the information. I'll check it out, T test.
Bill
One of my first jobs was as a mechanic in a cab company shop... we had to calibrate and install the meters. There are numerous adapters, ratio reducers, etc available. Look for companys that calibrate speedometers. Of course cable driven anything is about obsolete now... there are still pieces out there. Ebay maybe?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back