Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Track Bucket build

So I mounted those 5.60-15 tires on a set of 5.5 inch wide rims I forgot I had and they will work! Look a little goofy since the tires have about a 4.5" tread width but good enough for free wheels and tires. If I find a set of 5 or 4.5 inch rims then I will switch to them. I mounted the tires myself with a set of travel motorcycle spoons and put them on the car and took it for a spin to see how badly they needed balanced. Got up to 40 mph on my back road and they were fine. Got out to the main road and they still seemed fine even steady at 70 mph. Did a quick trip to 80 and no vibration so I think I lucked out there!

So I mounted those 5.60-15 tires on a set of 5.5 inch wide rims I forgot I had and they will work! Look a little goofy since the tires have about a 4.5" tread width but good enough for free wheels and tires. If I find a set of 5 or 4.5 inch rims then I will switch to them. I mounted the tires myself with a set of travel motorcycle spoons and put them on the car and took it for a spin to see how badly they needed balanced. Got up to 40 mph on my back road and they were fine. Got out to the main road and they still seemed fine even steady at 70 mph. Did a quick trip to 80 and no vibration so I think I lucked out there!
I have a simple bubble balancer that works just fine for low production use. Our local tire shops are finicky about mounting used tires and if they are past the date window won’t do it. I’ve mounted and balanced my own for a long time. It used to be a few bucks now it’s an investment...

Once I get the garage more organized and can find some space I will probably look into getting one of those bubble balancers. It adds up quick if you have multiple sets of wheels for a car. I'm trying to put together a dirt track set of wheels and tires but would need to re drill my rear axle and drums first.

the car came with the wheels with adaptors but they make the wheels stick out too far and I'd never trust them while racing especially on a dirt track.

What rear are you using? I narrowed my 9” Ford to center the pinion and bought cut to fit axles from Speedway. They came with 3 different bolt circles.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back