Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Trailer Tire Monitoring System

Indycars

I lost a tire on my trailer last year on the way to Maine and didn't know it. It was on the left side, so no one else was able to see it and let me know. I had to replace the rim and tire, luckily it didn't hurt the fender.

I see that it's possible to spend just about any amount from $50 to $600 for a system to monitor pressure and temperature for 6 tires. I could monitor my two spares, but I think it would be more important to keep an eye on the rear tires of the tow vehicle.

It's not only the system to decide on, but the type of sensor. There are three types, Screw On , Flow Thru and the Internal sensor.
Screw On - Loses air every time you remove to adjust air pressure.
Flow Thru - Doesn't lose air, but requires and metal valve stem.
Internal - Can't be stolen like the two sensors above.

So what system are you using ???
What kind of sensor did you buy ???

Didn't work for me, the tire was not visible when it on the far side of the trailer.

I forgot to mention that I have extended mirrors and was on the Interstate. I could see the rubber flying.
Tire came apart and rubber everywhere until it hit the rim.
People will let you know when something is going to hit their vehicle.
Left side of trailer is the same as the trucks left side and if you drive in the right lane, someone should be able to see it.
You must have meant the right side, curb side as I call it, unless you are in Australia.

You must have lost the lugnuts or they broke off for the rim to be gone also

Last edited:
So nobody uses a TPMS for their trailer tires ???

I use a SCREW ON type TPMS! The air loss is minimal when putting them on. On my trip to the Lobsta Run in 2019, I lost two tires. I did not know that my monitoring system spoke until the lady told me that I had a "massive air leak". My system monitors 4 tires and the monitor display is solar powered and sits on my dash. My system came from Amazon, made by Beipuit. The service from Beipuit has been fantastic! I lost the tool to change the sensor batteries and sent me a new one very quickly. On the way to Gulfport, this year, The Left Front sensor failed and Beipuit will send me a new one when the chips are back in stock!

I did not know that my monitoring system spoke
Was it a system problem or a operator problem ? LOL !

Does it monitor temp also? Can you set your limits or does it default to X%?

Good to know you like the company Beipuit !

Yes, it monitors tire temp, also!

Not knowing the sysrem spoke was do to the minimal directions included!

I don't find them on Amazon at this time.

How easy is the display to ready, is it bright enough ?

As long as you keep the display out of direct sunlight, AND are not wearing polarized sunglasses.

I lost a tire on a single axle trailer loaded with building materials going down hill on a two lane road running 60 mph... it trashed the fender but being a old body man I was able to beat it back into shape. Luckily a man was in his garage and saw me and let me drag it into his yard while I ran to get a spare so no one would help themselves to the treated lumber. A monitor wouldn’t have helped me because it let go so fast, pretty sure the sidewall gave out. It was my step dads trailer, rip Bill, and his stuff gets rode hard and put away wet if it comes home, thanks to my step brothers, who value nothing.

I work in the RV world and have seen more Exploded tires than I care to count. TPMS systems work. That said, we're all also mechanical people. Check your air pressure before each trip. Look at the date code of your tires. If they're old think about replacing them. Best thing I can say is if you have a "load range C" tire - go to load D and so on. Also, having traveled through Missouri last fall and seeing a guy dragging a huge 5th wheel trailer down the highway at Over 80 MPH, carefully look and the Speed Rating of the tires!! Many are the proper load range but have a minimal speed rating. K-68 L-75 M-81 and so on. A HUGE number of tires are made in China, most of the ones I've seen fail in the last year were marginally rated for load range and speed. From what I've encountered Goodyear, Dulop and others are still the better brands, though some name brands are made in China and imported. I hope this helps!!

I have only lost two tires in the last 100,000 plus miles on my enclosed trailer. I always pump the tires up to the max that is on the sidewalls, a Min of 75 PSI. I also check them anytime I stop the MMR and at the same time I check the bearings for heat build up. Speed is the number two reason for tire failure with low air pressure is the number one cause.....IMHO..........

I was told today that Rick (indycars) had to turn around on his way to the Nationals this week and has had emergency surgery on his right eye and is not in the best of shape......so it might be right nice to let him know we are on his side.......Get Well and get back to doing what you do best we need your help sometimes.....................See you in Artesia in Sept........

The system they use at the rv shop is pressure pro fx. Cost is about $100.00 per wheel. US made product. Haven’t heard any complaints other than the price. Lol

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back