Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Transmission Hump

eafree

Dos anyone know the dimensions on a Hermans transmission hump? I trying to decide if I should buy one or just make me own. Any help from the pros would be appreciated.

Eric

Well I sent an email to Hermans and it came back undeliverable, no one seemed to know the dimensions so I started building my own. I will post a couple of pictures in the next day or two.

Eric

I'll be watching also. The hump in the T I bought has the gas peddle on the top on the hump, which is about 4 to 6 inches too big on all sides.

railroad

Any chance someone could post some pics the product and I assume they are gauge steel?

thanks,

Here is how I did mine in fiberglass. I first made a simple skeletal framework out of "plumbers strap". I made it to conform very tightly to the shape of the transmission to give me as much interior room as possible.

IMG_0100.jpg

I then covered it with gaff tape or you could also use duct tape. This gave me the solid shape of the tunnel.

IMG_0104.jpg

I then glassed over this "mold" to create my tunnel.

IMG_0106.jpg

Then I cut the part to fit the opening in the floor. I allowed a flange around the perimeter to allow me to flush fit the tunnel to the floor.

IMG_0225.jpg

This shot shows some of the body work that went into making a flush fit on BOTH sides of the floor. I used "T" nuts in the floor to allow the tunnel to be removable.

MVC-001S.jpg

Here is the final results in sealer.

MVC-0077.jpg

I know that this does not give every step involved but it should give you a rather good idea on how to make a tunnel that is really made to fit. I went to the trouble of doing it this way because I wanted a very clean look both on the top and on the bottom.

Jim

Thanks Ron, I went ahead and made a mold and started laying up glass. I use to build all composite aircraft, so I went ahead and motivated myself to build my hump. I wanted to keep it as small as possible for additional legroom.

Eric

Very nice pics Jim (as always). I thought about doing something similar with mine, but after all of the other fiberglass work I did, I was burnt out. I cheated and used aluminum!

I agree with you on getting burned out on the fiberglass work. However, I have a great deal of help from my younger son, Rob. He is the real deal when it comes to glass work.

Jim

I have almost finished building my transmission hump. I decided to build mine to be able to keep it as small as possible. I wanted as much legroom as possible, I don't know why I am only 5'7". I forgot how much time is involved in building a mold, but it will be well worth it. I will try to get some pictures posted today.

Eric

Well I finally finished my transmission hump, I think it turned out pretty well. It even fit when I installed it. LOL

Yes it is. I wanted to keep it as small as possible, to gain all the foot room that I could.

Eric

Thanks TX23bucket, it took some time to make the mold. I used to build compositr aircraft, but it had been about 17 years since I did any glass fabrication work.

Eric

That looks great Eric :ciao:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back