Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Transverse Arch Spring

The only other thing I can think of is the arc of the spring , ie; if the left side doen't have as much arch as the right , that could "possibly" throw things off...:confused:
dave
just for giggles ,could you post some pics of the suspension ,frt & rear ?

Ihave another thought , but I'll wait 'till I can see the rest

Dave,
I have other pics posted in the photo album that should give you a better view.

O.K. , panhard bar is totally wrong , unhook that & see if the car will level out. If the spring has enough tension , you should not need it . The only way to tell is to drive it & see how it reacts . Then you'll be able to decide how to proceed ...
dave

If there is a pan hard bar, disconnect it and see if that helps. That would be the bind I was looking for!

Disconnected the panhard bar and the chassis settled into place......not sure how I over looked that, thank you for all you suggestions, I may get lucky and not have to shorten the spring. Still not a long road test conducted, just around the block a couple times.

Please let us know how it handles without the panhard bar. There is controversy if it's needed or not with transverse springs...

I plan on keeping the pan hard bar, but, adjusted correctly, From my understanding it prevents side to side sway so, not sure what the angle of it has to do with it. I am not an engineer but, anything that will prevent side sway should be GTG, I understand that that close to level may be best. But and increased angle not sure how that causes ineffectiveness??

The angle changes the length in relation to the rearend, so it changes the rearends center more in one direction, than the other. That's why mounting it as close to level is best, it has the same variance in either up or down movement. I have a tranversed spring, and am going to install a watts link, similar to a panhard, but there are conflicting opinions wether or not they are required. I would like to hear actual experience, just as a FYI...

The panhard bar does prevent side to side movement when there is no up and down movement in the suspension. When the suspension is moving up and down, the frame end of the panhard is moving in an arc in relation to the end connected to the rear axle. If the frame end is toward the top of that arc it will be forced further to the side as the frame is moved down. If the panhard is level the side to side movement will be decreased. How far the suspension travels dictates how much side to side movement there will be. At low speeds it most likely wont even be noticed but a large movement side to side at high speed would tend to make the car want to turn to one side or another. Chances are as light as the car is you wont have a lot of suspension travel on the average road. Give it a shot and see how it goes!

It's not only the angle that matters, it's also the length, try to make it as long as possible. Granted with only ~ 4" travel, the smaller the arc the better!!!!

Please let us know how it handles without the panhard bar. There is controversy if it's needed or not with transverse springs...

You can call the techs at SoCal, Pete & Jakes or even Speedway motors. You can also use Google. A panhard bar or Watts linkage is not needed with a transverse spring. IF IT'S SET UP PROPERLY. Using one is over kill.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back