Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tube Problem

fitdtgokromit

Couldn't find a tire and tube thread...

Tube Problem! When installing the large RandH off set tubes in the Pro-Trac tires on the magnesium rims the second tire was leaking air. At first, they thought the air was leaking from between the tube and tire...but it was something else. Upon removal we found this (see pics).

I know what the installer suspects. Talked to the vendor and heard his comments. They would not replace the tube. Anyone experience this or have some input on why or what failed???

I will say we inflated the original 43-year-old tube and the new one, the valve stems were in the same place.

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 14
Looks like the rubber to rubber joint of the valve nipple and tube failed. Is this the new tube or the old one?

I have numerous pieces of equipment that use tubes. I have experienced several failures of new tubes where the seem to just split at the seams or the valve stem comes off. I suspect that like tires, the rubber has been formulated to deteriorate. There is no question in my mind that the old ones were much better and stronger. I have patched tubes on tractors, etc, for years but the new ones don’t lend themselves to repairs well either. The actual rubber has to have been reformulated.

It was a brand-new tube. Installer said it wasn't sealed or vulcanized well. The vendor said the valve stem was "too high on the rim". He tried explaining what that meant over the phone but it didn't register. He recommended redrilling. We weren't comfortable doing that to 40+ year old rare magnesium rims, especially when we really didn't understand the explanation. The original tubes are still in good shape, but OLD.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. The Pro-tracs are tubeless bias ply tires. It's not a drag racer. Open to hearing opinions...

So far, I see four choices:
Seal the inside of the rim with Glyptal and go tubeless. But concerned with the amount of Gibbs we put inside.
Use the old tubes.
Go tubeless.
Drill the rims.

Better go Radial and you don't need tubes,,,,,,,,,,O yes you will maybe need new wheels..........

I would try a name brand tube. Read Not off shore brand! Pirelli Goodyear. If it’s a front tire check motorcycle shops.

Maybe look at Coker tire or similar. They specialize in classic tires. I would think there should be a direct replacement for the old tubes. Is there a part number on them? Not just the size, if placement of the valve is different. The old ones, if not deteriorated, are likely superior, from my experience.

There are 3 tubes to choose from, Hoosier, MT, and MandH. MandH are the only one that I could find that had the off-set valve stem. Got them from Speedway who shipped from Coker. $134 bucks each and had two valve stems fail. One of the original tubes valve stems got pinched during removal, not sure the valve core will take and seal. I agree the older tubes are probably better made and may work. But I'm going to try going tubeless. Sealing the insides with enamel paint to prevent oxidization and leakage through the porous magnesium. Appreciate everyone's input.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back