Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tunnel Ram intake

There are lots of people here that can do A when asking questions. B and C is where the problems come in.
And they have absolutely no concept of rocket science, computers, basic diagnosis, or repair. so they will not A.

John

I put the Edelbrock 2x4 air gap unit on my 382 cid windsor. It makes more power than the single 4 it replaced but the mileage is less. These are right out of the box with no jet changes so I think there is some tuning needed but as far as how it runs, it runs great.

Thats so cool. Love the valve covers. I'm keeping an eye out for one if not for the bucket then the FED Im building next.

Hey john , tell us how you REALLY feel ...:roflmao:
dave
HolyCrap! Tunnelrams? Again? Think we gotta library of stuff....
How many folks have we talked thru setting up a TR? Ssssshhhhheeeesssshhhh....

OK, ok, ok.....I will say this once for the folks that don't know any better, or want the looks and performance of a TR. I deal with this crap everyday, plane and simply put, if you have ALOT OF TIME AND LOVE TO FIDDLE.....then a TR is for you on the street. That is, if your piecing the complete setup up. For the avg. guy, this is not a good way to go....go with a alum. hi-rise dual quad airgap manifold, as you were told....

There are the newer street tunnels which do good by the old standards. The secret to these is carb size. The smaller, the better. Theres a couple I've set up running 2 bbls....after one of the fellas here put the bug in my bonnet. and they run perfectly....but I tweaked the hell outta them. I have 35+ years of experience doing this stuff thou....
But, if you just absolutely wanna run one of these bad boys, have it start, idle, run perfectly, without any muss or fuss, run a twin throttlebody fuel injection system....will run like a normal motor till you hang your foot off into it....Then hang on cause all hells gonna break loose!

Is there any Tunnel Ram intakes out there that have clearance for an HEI distributor on a SBC ?
Also is there any brand - model number to avoid ?

Wow. Guys are still trying to get something for nothing. 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 carbs? Ya gotta REALLY want it. Plain and simple. In fact, I'd venture to say, "When it comes to tunnel rams on the street, if you have to ask, you probably should think about something else." Oh, those guys at the cruise-in, who said it was a "bolt on and play"? They lied.

Is there any Tunnel Ram intakes out there that have clearance for an HEI distributor on a SBC ?
Also is there any brand - model number to avoid ?

I have never seen or even heard of one. Logically, the size of the average carb says, no. But, there's always Google. Go have a search party. You may find one.

So what kind of ignition setups are you guys running on SBC with tunnel rams ?
Only asking because I may have a deal on one and.
1) The cool looking factor is out of this world, it seems like a T just looks at home with one of those or a blower.
2) love to tinker with setups, jetting, valves, timing...

Tunnels are high rise, single plane manifolds. They are intended for high rpm use. They require high velocity air flow to properly atomize and distribute the fuel. If that's the motor you are building, great, if not, you may want to rethink it. I too have one.

On the distributor, the small diameter electronics fit well with the tunnel and the close firewall if it's a Chevy, or other rear distributor motor. I currently have a Mallory on the 427, I had a MSD on my small block and it worked good. It had a vacuum advance on it and fit, it could be used or simply plugged and advanced electronically. Unless you like them and like to fool with them, avoid dual points, imho.

O.K. here is the straight skinny from my experience.
1. Edelbrock Street tunnel ram manifold. I used 2 500 cfm Edelbrock carbs (old but good to go, clean, no water damage, butterfly shafts should operate smoothly, with no slop or play). Stock jetting, springs, and needles.
Get 2 tuning kits from Edelbrock. Do not cheap out. Get two complete kits. Follow supplied tuning directions.
Run at least 20*initial timing (but no more than 36* total).
Run the carbs one to one, not progressive.
Change tune one step at a time.
Use vacuum gauge and air/fuel meter.
Use 750s if the engine is healthier than a 327.
Get accurate fuel pressure gauge & regulator and use it.
Memorize these initials - MSD. Use em.
Ck for vacuum leaks around intake manifold & heads.

Here's what I hope will be the hot setup. Notice there is no giant plenum between the two carbs, each one handles only 4 cylinders. I don't have the linkage or fuel lines hooked up yet, so I don't know exactly how it will work.

NT.jpg

looks awesome.
I was planning the same thing in black and semi polished.
What is your intake part # and distributor part #

Here's what I hope will be the hot setup. Notice there is no giant plenum between the two carbs, each one handles only 4 cylinders. I don't have the linkage or fuel lines hooked up yet, so I don't know exactly how it will work.

NT.jpg
There was a fella on here a couple years ago [I think from florida] that used 1 of those "divorced" plenum TR's , from what he reported , it ran well but was big bucks..reports I've read say it runs out of steam at about 5K rpm....guess it depends on what you want :thumbsdown: My "plain ol' "edel. street TR w/basically "out of the box 450 holleys runs well , pulls to 6200 , engine is a 10.4:1 388" stroker motor , gets 16.5 mpg avg , city/highway...I'm happy ..
dave

Last edited:
409T, do you have any pics of the individual plenums? looking down from the carb and up from the manifold base ?
I believe that the manifold, plenums,and carbs come as a kit and probably runs close to $2000.00.

AmIright ?

John

Yes, it is the Real Street Ram kit. I already had the manifold so I didn't have to buy the whole kit, just the two upper pieces and the carbs. My existing manifold bottom came from a Weiand, I think it was called a Street Tunnel Ram.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back