Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tunnel Ram intake

409T, do you have any pics of the individual plenums? looking down from the carb and up from the manifold base ?
I believe that the manifold, plenums,and carbs come as a kit and probably runs close to $2000.00.

AmIright ?

John

I bought the carbs and bases for just under $1000. Sorry, I didn't think to take pics.

There's a thread on page 17 on this page started by mrfixit titled tuning issues I think that chronicles what he went through trying to tune his TR & setting up 1 of these colorado setups
dave
At least my memories not completly gone !!

This is a man who knows what he is talking about.

I respectfully suggest you take notice of his advice and help.
G

OK, ok, ok.....I will say this once for the folks that don't know any better, or want the looks and performance of a TR. I deal with this crap everyday, plane and simply put, if you have ALOT OF TIME AND LOVE TO FIDDLE.....then a TR is for you on the street. That is, if your piecing the complete setup up. For the avg. guy, this is not a good way to go....go with a alum. hi-rise dual quad airgap manifold, as you were told....

There are the newer street tunnels which do good by the old standards. The secret to these is carb size. The smaller, the better. Theres a couple I've set up running 2 bbls....after one of the fellas here put the bug in my bonnet. and they run perfectly....but I tweaked the hell outta them. I have 35+ years of experience doing this stuff thou....
But, if you just absolutely wanna run one of these bad boys, have it start, idle, run perfectly, without any muss or fuss, run a twin throttlebody fuel injection system....will run like a normal motor till you hang your foot off into it....Then hang on cause all hells gonna break loose!

NT2.jpg

NT3.jpg

Here's the finished product. It screams, right out of the box. All I had to do was set the idle. I jumped on it at 800 rpm idle and it just took off, no hesitation (actually I got more wheel spin than wheel-go-forward but that is another matter). Some of that is due to lower gears (3.89) some to short stroke (3.25") but in reality all I did was change the intake manifold and carbs and it got rid of any hesitation that was there before and added power. I suspect the QuickFuel carbs are a little bit more responsive than the Edelbrocks they replaced.

Basically - reduced plenum volume = higher air speed at lower rpm = better responsiveness......looks nice !!
dave

Really nice ! Would you say the engine was more in line with their recommendations (stockish) ?

Looks good, goes good, even the price is good. Congrats.

Have any mileage figures yet ?

John

We go on a long cruise about once a month, I'll have the opportunity to check mileage then. For the moment it can't be too good, I've had a little bit of lead in my shoe. The engine is a 350 2 bolt main block with a 3.25" stroke crank, 9:1 compression, .465 lift 224 degree duration @.050 cam. Nothing special. I have always believed that a shorter stroke engine is better for these light weight cars. If I had it to do all over again I would build a blown 302.

We go on a long cruise about once a month, I'll have the opportunity to check mileage then. For the moment it can't be too good, I've had a little bit of lead in my shoe. The engine is a 350 2 bolt main block with a 3.25" stroke crank, 9:1 compression, .465 lift 224 degree duration @.050 cam. Nothing special. I have always believed that a shorter stroke engine is better for these light weight cars. If I had it to do all over again I would build a blown 302.
I bought mine mainly due to the 427, but I love a hi rev small lock in a light car! I have a couple old 283 and 327 in storage with goodies for just such a project, some day, lol.

@409T

What's the carb spacing? Could it be run with a Hilborn style scoop?
hilborn.jpg

Is anyone else running a TR ? if so what carbs are you using and are you experiencing the hesitation others have?

Nope, no one else is running one as far as I know. They're rare as hens teeth. Banned by the government I hear. Too fast. Too dangerous. Too unpredictable.

Dangerous to all mankind.

Didn't hear it from me, John

lol.
From what I have been reading they work great once dialed in with the right carbs.
@409T what are the carb specs on that setup ?

I'm running an Edelbrock TR1Y tunnel ram on my Model A with two Holley 450cfm carbs (list 9776). After tweaking the timing, power valves, and squirters, I have no hesitation and it runs like a dream. Advancing my timing helped far more than I would have thought.

From my research that is what I have been getting from the guys that are running these on the street.
A bit more initial advance, port match it, and properly setup the carbs with the correct power valves and idle.
Are those the manual secondary? and what power valves did you go with?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back