Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tunnel Ram intake

Yes, the 9776 carbs have mechanical secondaries. The 9.5 power valves worked best for me. I tried a bunch. Annoying that they are so expensive.

No worries. My engine is a 305 small block chevy. My cam isn't really big. It's a summit cam part number SUM-1101 meant for smaller engines.

lol.
From what I have been reading they work great once dialed in with the right carbs.
@409T what are the carb specs on that setup ?
They are QuickFuel HR-580 VS (Vacuum Secondary). I can post two pages of specs if you need them.

No that's ok 409T, I was just curios.
I think I will either go with some older Rochester 350's, or the Holley 450's.
I will have the get the engine finished and then check to see how much vacuum this cam makes at idle.

Running the standard secondary linkage. Didn't even know about the 1:1 kit. I don't think it would work well on my set up, personally, but I've been surprised before.

I can say that I am running a tunnel ram edelbrock TR1YX with double 500 edelbrocks on it. I have changed the metering rods and all variation of springs. My conclusion.....not streetable. Now I am not some race junkie, nor a professional mechanic by any means, but, they are not meant to be run on the street. It does run like a bat out of hell at higher RPMs but, that is the intent. Just cruis'in....not so much. I only have it because that is what it is equipped with when I got it. I will soon (hopefully) either rebuild my engine or drop a long block 383 in it. Single carb, possibly on a air gap intake and should run well. I settled on .70 rods and to be honest don't even remember what springs I have in it. If you are interested tell me and I will figure out what springs I am using.

I'm running an Edelbrock tunnelram with 2 Holley 450's full mechanical and progressive linkage. It is a little cold blooded with no choke but it starts fine with a little pumping. I'm running a 383 stroker with a 302 duration 502 lift hydraulic cam. It's pretty radical but works well on the street. I used to have a mild 350 with a 411 gear in a Camaro with the same setup. I think the main thing is try it and if you don't like the idle or bobbles on acceleration then take it to a good engine tuner to set the carbs. If I had to do it all over I would choose the same set up. Here is a picture of mine with a March "fuelie" air cleaner with an "air box" I had to build because March doesn't make a base plate for this dual carb setup for Holley's because the Holley setup on a tunnel ram has a wider mounting spread that the other carbs have.engine resized.jpg

I have driven it about 50 miles, all within our city limits as reasonably slow speeds and it hasn't loaded up at all. I punched it a couple times at probably 1/2 throttle and it was clean. I have my progressive linkage set at the minimum meaning the 2nd carb doesn't kick in until I push the accelerator a fair amount. I don't anticipate any problems. The engine builder I used in Ocala, FL builds several sprint car and race car engines and is familiar with twin carbs so I am very pleased. The Holley carbs are stock with no modifications, just minor tuning.

After running my 2x4 tunnel ram for 45K miles & multiple different carb combo's [2 390 , 2x450 , 2x600 , here's what I'll pass along ...the 450's on my 388" stroker are the best "all-around" setup . Running 1:1 linkage is better , progressive leaves one "end" lean at normal cruise rpm, 1:1 does not affect fuel mileage IMO & is way more responsive/ easier to drive ...
dave

People have run single carbs but I have had little luck with a set up like that. I helped with my friend's 327 sbc/350 th 3000 stall. Couple of Edelbrock 500s on an Edelbrock Street tunnel ram, and an Edelbrock cam (sorry no specs. Nice lumpy idle, old cam) with tune kits and we got it running really well. We ran straight linkage, not progressive. Runs well, even relatively good MPG.
Use vacuum gauge and Uni-Sync. I would have liked to try a couple of 2 barrel Hollys, 350 or 500s.

Engine is in a roadster - a 20 or 21 DODGE. Seriously.

John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back