Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Turtle decks

Dobreutra

Are turtle decks becomming extinct, or are they just not popular? I have a 23t with a turtle deck (bought it 6 weeks ago), and see a lot of buckets but hardly any with turtle decks. Any explanation?:lol:
Harry
Belen, NM

They're out there. I kinda like them myself, especially if you're going for a track look. I don't know why they are so scarce.

My only guess is that the pickup bed will more easily conceal a gas tank. I think it would be possible to take advantage of the turtle deck's dimensions to conceal a tank and possibly some other components, as well.

I like the looks of the turtle deck. Most of the lighter-weight drag race T bodies utilize them.

Hmm... that's always a matter of opinion, but it surely is in the top 5.

vintage_racer-1.jpg

Mike said:
My only guess is that the pickup bed will more easily conceal a gas tank. I think it would be possible to take advantage of the turtle deck's dimensions to conceal a tank and possibly some other components, as well.

I like the looks of the turtle deck. Most of the lighter-weight drag race T bodies utilize them.

Mike is right about it being easy for tank and battery mounting.. A lot of T bodies are made with the bed as part of the main body and just the back of the body (seat rest) is made seprate and installed after it is out of the mold. Hence more short bed bodies out there, and it all boils down to what you like...

The car I am building now has a turtle deck on it. Here is a crappy cel phone pic, at a bad angle LOL. I should have some new updated pics in a couple weeks.
untitled.jpg

They are not dead as far as I am concerned.

IMG_2719.jpg

This is why I like turtledecks.

IMG_0799.jpg

Room to carry "stuff."

CCR has a new turtle deck for their bodies. Its cool when i first saw it i wanted one. But there is something about the dimensions that has changed my mind.What do u think

GAB,

Do you have any other pics of that car? Specifically the interior and perhaps a head on shot?

Personally I love turtledeck cars much more than RPUs.

Heres my contribution: Duffy Livingstone's Eliminator with an Emil Diedt nose (steel) and Brooklands windscreen.
TihsepaAvatar-A.jpg

TihsepaRear.jpg

TheAntiBoyd,

This is the only other pic of that car that I have, unfortunately. I had the privilege of helping a friend, Jack Campbell, build that car and I can't believe that we didn't take any photos of it. At least that I have. He might have some but he doesn't live here anymore.

Beyond that I wish that I had talked him into making a mold of the nose. He built it out of 2 Speedway sprint car noses and a large amount of Jack's talent. He owned a body shop. To my way of thinking, It is the best looking nose that I have ever seen on a track roadster.

The interior was pretty basic. Just the pleats on the sides and seat back and bottom. I thought it fit the theme very well.

3TrackRoadsters.jpg

Somewhere, I have a copy of one of the very early Rodders Digest that had a photo of Jack's car on the cover and a feature article. I thought I knew right where it was but can't find it now. If I can find it, I'll try to scan it for you. Don't know how well it would come out as scanning screen printed material generally results in very badly moired photos.

I think it is due to a couple of reasons. The box back is easier to build, easier to access, and looks right at almost any length. It's a good all around fix, and they are very common. The decks are less popular because the build is more difficult for some people, access is more limited.

I have a deck on mine, and it's far from finished. I have a 27 gallon tank hidden in my deck.

GAB

His is the only one that looks "right" a fair ammount of track Ts I see, the nosepiece just looks...discordant; almost like an afterthought. Some pull it off well. I like both of the other cars in that pic you posted...but only one has "the look"

TheAntiBoyd,

I full agree about Jack's car having the only nose that looks right. But there is some reasons as to why the other two cars have those rather ungainly sized protuberances.

DonCainTrackRoadster.jpg

The maroon car was the result of my buddy Don Cain (K.C. Street Rods) seeing an article in an ancient Hot Rod magazine "Buck A Pound Roadster". Basically it was about a fellow taking a donor car and using all of the drive line and anything else usable from it. Well Don had a Pinto that he felt would be a good candidate for such a project.

We started out with the idea that we would use everything that we could from the donor car. That included the motor mounts, alternator mount, radiator, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and probably a few other things that I have long forgotten.

Unfortunately, those things weren't placed in the best position for a track roadster when Ford engineers designed the Pinto. So, since our object was to do this in the most economically feasible means possible, we had to deal with designing around them. The result of cramming as much as we could into the space we had, was the big nose. We accomplished our goal, but the result left something to be desired aesthetically.

The yellow car was built around the same basis but used the 60 Ford V-6.

I have always thought turtle decks added a bit of class to the car.

Those of you that love Track T's should check out Tex Smith's ROARING ROADSTERS II by Don Radbruch. There are tons of old pictures and a wealth of information on the history of track roadsters. There is also a section on track roadsters today. I highly recommend this book.

Check with: Hot Rod Library, Inc.
P.O. Box 748
991 N. Main, Airport
Driggs, Id. 83422
Toll Free 800-513-8133

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back