Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Typical length of the front brake flex hose?

estesken

What is a typical length of the front brake flex hose? I bought a nice set of DOT approve braided from Speedway that 16 inches Long but they appear way short. Intermediate GM calipers with hose that attach from the top.

What is a typical length of the front brake flex hose? I bought a nice set of DOT approve braided from Speedway that 16 inches Long but they appear way short. Intermediate GM calipers with hose that attach from the top.
16 inches seems about typical if not maybe a bit longer than normal. Sold a ton of the Earls stuff at one time.

There may be a so called "typical" length but that may not fit your needs. What you need to do is take a piece of cord, small rope or wire and hold one end at the frame where your brake fitting is and the other end on your caliper where that fitting is. Turn the wheel in BOTH directions and make sure that there is no interference with the suspension, steering or headlight. Be sure to take the suspension travel into consideration also. When you have done all that, mark the length of the string needed and find the size that comes closest to that measurement and order that.

In my case, I had to order part number 910-31892 from Speedway which is a 19" braided line with a 90 degree fitting on one end. That allowed me plenty of clearance for all of the above obstacles to go from my through the frame fitting to the caliper.

IMG_0710.jpg

Jim

As EX-JUNK said
I don't think there is a TYPICAL brake line length on a home built car
My last T had 18" front flex lines and the one I am doing now needs longer lines
OR
I need to re- figure the routing
Just use the string method THEN add a little more length
The Biggest thing you have to watch I think is when the wheels are straight and when the wheels are turned all the way
that nothing INTERFERES with the hoses
DOT APPROVED IS A MUST
Just my 2 cents
Frank

I think I can make them work by relocating anchor point forward of most . These lineswere a late addition to a Column order. I should have measured ahead of time. Hate to return anything, because of my own ignorance. Hind site, I guess is 20/20. Thank for input.

The length is relative to axle width, chassis width and location of the brake line tabs. We use 22" lines on all our T's
-Jim-Wintec Fabrication

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back