Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Un-channeled floor question

PlasTque27

Hey guys, new to the forum and will probably have a few questions during the build of my '27 Roadster. I've done a lot of looking and have already learned a lot!

I was able to find a guy locally that makes bodies. This thing is incredibly thick and stout. Only problem is there is no lip around the bottom of the body to make adding a floor easier like on the Speedway bodies. The sides are cut straight down if that makes sense.

I am not going to channel the body at all as I want to sit as low in the car as possible. Now thinking about the floor, the guy I bought it from recommended raising the floor up an inch of two so I can glass both sides of the floor to the body.

My question is, can I lay the bottom of the floor flush with the bottom of the body and just glass the top side of the floor to the inside of the body really well?

I plan on using 5/8" plywood for the floor if that matters at all. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

98a3eb4b.jpg

6223fb85.jpg

It's too bad he trimmed the bottom that way. I would do as he suggests and rais the foor an inch. If you want the flush look just shim the body at the mounting holes either on the body with wood or off the frame with shims. You might want to measure the sides to be sure they are the same heigth. I've had some that where 1/2" shorter on one side than the other. On a steel body the distance from the bottom of the sill is about 3".

Ron

It's too bad he trimmed the bottom that way. I would do as he suggests and rais the foor an inch. If you want the flush look just shim the body at the mounting holes either on the body with wood or off the frame with shims. You might want to measure the sides to be sure they are the same heigth. I've had some that where 1/2" shorter on one side than the other. On a steel body the distance from the bottom of the sill is about 3".

Ron
I use aluminum pucks under my floor, 3" diameter x 1/2" thick. You really should raise about an inch to get a strong bond. You don't want the body to come loose while driving on the interstate.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back