Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Unable to Fire up Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I can help you out with what it means. Take a look at the total number of posts in this thread, which will get you headed in the right direction on what it means. This thread went on for 98, unnecessary posts. And if you don't believe me, just read on.

Not sure where you got the term 'loser', because I don't see that one in EX JUNK's post. You wouldn't be trying to put words in anyone's mouth, would you? For the record, if Jim's comment about this thread being a hoax put you out, then knowing I view it as a circus stunt run amok is really going to light you up. But, there you have it.

I like how you suggested to EX JUNK that everyone 'stay on topic'. That was pretty priceless, to be honest. When it comes down to the fact that you weren't able to follow your own advice. EX JUNK is a moderator on this site because he has a solid grasp of the forum rules and forum etiquette, so howzabout you stop wasting your time trying to offer him moderating advice?

I've no problem with anyone taking the hard path, and thereby learning lessons they would have otherwise missed, but when people come here to ask for help and then ignore those trying to help them, I really start wondering what that is all about.

Just to hammer down the fine point, in this 100th post of the thread, I want to ask you to go back and read post #2. Yessir, the 2nd post of this thread, submitted on the same day as your initial question, contained the solution to your problem. But, on the same day, you assured everyone you had adjusted lifter preload correctly. (I'm still trying to determine how you set TDC with a piston stop, because stops are adjustable and require one to determine TDC before setting the stop. :confused:) Duke gave you some simple advice in post #25. Screaming Metal tried to hammer that point home in post #26. Both of those posts were made the day after your original post. But in post #32, you once again reassured everyone you had set the valves, although you did highlight the observation on you bi-metal choke thermostat getting hot o_O, as if that had anything to do with the problem.

And the excuse you were too busy to get back in here is a dog that just ain't gonna hunt, because I've been paying close attention to this thread and to your forum activity for a week, ever since the day I asked you to answer just three, simple questions about your engine. You see, I couldn't understand why I was seeing you online, reading this thread, without providing any responses to any of us who were attempting to help you.

So, whilst it is good to read you managed to get the engine running again, imagine how wonderful it could have been, had you simply taken the advice you were offered within hours of your original post.

OK. Let me clear this up.

" You wouldn't be trying to put words in anyone's mouth, would you? "

Andy: Hoax was not a word I wanted someone to put in my mouth either. I am not sure what prompted a moderator to communicate things in such a way.
"EX JUNK is a moderator on this site because he has a solid grasp of the forum rules and forum etiquette, so howzabout you stop wasting your time trying to offer him moderating advice?"

Andy: Let me tell you what I do for a living. I build applications such as these forums and manage databases like the ones that power applications such as these forums. I know what a moderator is, and I know what the rules are. I don't think I ever digressed from the topic until the discussion on starting up the engine branched off into "being a hoax". Even if Jim wanted to give me some advise, there was no need to give it the "hoax" angle.

Maybe you would want to ask Jim about what it means when someone pays for something and never gets it after following up on it with repeated phone calls and emails for at least 6 months.
And when it finally arrives at the door step , it's piece of junk! Maybe he can tell all of us what someone calls that from his excellent choice of words.

"But, on the same day, you assured everyone you had adjusted lifter preload correctly. (I'm still trying to determine how you set TDC with a piston stop, because stops are adjustable and require one to determine TDC before setting the stop."

Andy: I think around the same time I had also told people here that all of this was done back in the summer of 2010. Three years ago! And yes, I have a habit or writing things down so that I don't have to remember things unless they are part of my day job. Ultimately, I could not locate my notes after 2-4 days of searching. That is the reason I took everything apart and started all over again. And this time I relied on my eyes and fingers instead of a piston stop to figure out what the TDC position is!
I don't need to convince you, nor plead for your trust. But I am actually typing out an article on my phone on how to do this the next time I screw up! And yes, Windows phone has a fully licensed copy of MS Office and I can type stuff out in MS Word if I want to.

"although you did highlight the observation on you bi-metal choke thermostat getting hot o_O, as if that had anything to do with the problem."

Andy: Not sure how you solve your problems. But I go by the process of elimination. If I see something abnormal, I bring it to the attention of the peers. I realized that it had nothing to do with the problem after I put some thought behind it. But if that one extra entry overwhelmed your database, I'm sorry that it did.

"And the excuse you were too busy to get back in here is a dog that just ain't gonna hunt, because I've been paying close attention to this thread and to your forum activity for a week, ever since the day I asked you to answer just three, simple questions about your engine"

Andy: We all have a real world to go back to. I remember your 3 questions and I apologize if I haven't responded. But long story short, that's great you have been paying attention to my forum activity. If so, you should have access to your forum logs. You can see if I tried communicating to this forum over my cellphone, but for some reason a windows-phone isn't as adept at doing things that an iPhone or a Droid phone can (test it, you can see that pictures cannot be uploaded from a windows phone and I made a mention of this fact as well). Besides, just because my cookie is alive and my browser window is open does not mean that I'm actively focusing on the forum. You can confirm that too about my activity on the forums over the past week up until 2 days ago when I posted an update from my phone.

"So, whilst it is good to read you managed to get the engine running again, imagine how wonderful it could have been, had you simply taken the advice you were offered within hours of your original post."

Andy: Yes, isn't it? That is unconditionally my fault and I have no qualms accepting it as you said it!
Like everyone who owns a garage-built ride, I wished that my engine would start up on the first try. Unfortunately, I was forced to take the hard path for the very reason I mentioned. I just lost track of a few things that I did 3 years ago. Maybe I should've started over, ripped the whole thing apart as I did a few days go, but there are so many good hearted people here who wanted to get me up and running that I did not expect the forum to be overwhelmed with so many helpful responses. Once again, my thanks and apologies to all of the folks to whom I may not have directly responded.

Peace!
Andy

Last edited:
And here's the video of the fire up as I had promised. :D
It's not much but my cell phone had just enough juice left to make a 31 second video before it died.

Well, the guys T is fired and running, thats the main objective.
I'm trying to find the smilie that looks likes Snoopy holding his head straight up, dancing the jig while the peanuts music plays in the background! 6 pages....Mike must have the patience of a Saint. Does the tongue ever get sore from biting it?
I've tossed crap outta the back door for alot less.
They say time is money. so is bandwidth....Next crisis....

Last edited:
Don't bother. Andy has already pitched the dollie out of the pram. He'll be taking his leave of us, as a result. Yeah, I've already received (and subsequently denied) his request to cancel his forum membership. Oh. Yeah. The demand said I needed to do that with immediate effect. I guess he neglected to read the rules he had agreed to abide by, huh?

Andy, since you and I both know you can't walk away (see why the rules read the way they do?), I want you to know I don't give a rat's rectum what you do for a living. I'm happy you have work, but I honestly could not care less about what it is that you do. As for you knowing what the rules are, your PC to me clearly shows that was incorrect. Because one of the rules is that we do not cancel forum memberships.

And I'm not sure what you're on about, paying for something that was less than what you expected. If you have an issue with someone, handle it. But do yourself a favor and try to at least handle it like a man. Spitting your problems at me, like a 12 year-old schoolgirl is not going to get you anywhere. Just to remind you, CoCo, I've sold you nothing, nor have I shipped you anything, so I've no clue what you're ranting and railing about.

Since you clearly missed the point so many of us have put before you, let me try again. You asked for help. And within minutes, you had the very answer you needed. But no, that wasn't it, it had to be something else. If you didn't need help, then why ask for it? Or should I say, if you couldn't accept the help you were offered, then why ask for it? People were asking you for specific bits of information, such as did you adjust lifter preload properly, did you install the distributor properly, all of which you ignored, whilst telling us how hot your choke thermostat was and how the truck that had donated the motor was being raced. Tell me, what did knowing the donor truck was being raced add to the diagnosis of your problem? You couldn't get your own ducks in a row, but you could swing by here and ask for help you intended to ignore? Is that how it goes for you? Not around here, it doesn't.

Bottom line - you asked for help and chose to ignore nearly every last bit of offered assistance. And now, you want to whine, piss and moan that you have been wronged? Grow up! A large number of the people who were trying to help you are people who were doing this stuff before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye, so do yourself a favor and show some respect.

And if you don't care for the fact that your immature behavior pissed a few of us off, I reckon you've one of three choices. Get over it. Get used to it. Or get out. I don't care what option you choose, just choose it and be done with it.

And look at that, not once did I have to resort to bold characters. Not once did I have to resort to red text. Not once did I have to underline anything.

This lunatic thread is hereby closed. And to everyone, I am warning you to bring the subject up at your own peril. Because it won't be pretty, if you do. The bloody thread should have been over and done with a week ago, and I'm finished with people like Andy whining about needing his nappie changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back