Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Unidentifiable front hubs?

Thank you so much for all your advise as I am new to this. As a machinist for 30 years making aircraft parts for the F-14 fighter planes for the navy I look forward to making things for this! One thing about the body is it looks like it was jig rigged, the is frame is 261/2 wide and the body looks like it was made for a 23" wide frame because you can see the cutouts by the firewall, also there is two cracks by the windshield posts. I got a deposit on it till Saturday and I have to make up my mind, buy it or give up my deposit. I found out spirt sells the body that fits a 27" frame so if I ever need a body I know where to go. But that's a fly by night company because they don't even answer the phone. I seen a lot of junk out there for that price so I don't think that's too bad for the $11,250 they want. Like everyone say it's a hobby and I want to be a part of it. I think the car is a little on the high side but I can live with that!again, thank you so much for your help because without your opinion I wouldn't know what to do!

I found out spirt sells the body that fits a 27" frame so if I ever need a body I know where to go. But that's a fly by night company because they don't even answer the phone.
Drew, Spirit is NOT a fly-by-night company! They are a sponsor of this board, and very reputable. They will go the second mile to help you, so give them a chance. My body and frame are from Spirit, and they are great people to work with - Josh & BC are good peeps! :):D:thumbsup:

2 body2b.jpgT-Bucket5b.jpg

Last edited:
Spanky... Yo are absolutely correct on Spirit being 1st Class people. I've been in their shop several times and they do stay busy but they do take care of business! While I'm at it, Ron Pope at RPM is in the same class. Either company will treat you right.

George

Thanks for the great advice, thank god for people like you that can help me steer the way to making the right choice!!!
If you are up in the air on the price, by all means seriously shop around. You may be better off simply buying a matched kit from a reputable manufacturer. There are three on here that are good, speedway also has a good rep. I see them for sale for less than what you are paying all the time, but the details, like specific pieces, parts, make a huge difference, as does location, season, etc... Good luck with your decision and your new hobby! Steer clear of wintech, they are going through a low and many have had less than stellar experiences....

You know what, I'll pay the $11,250 and have a good starting point!its a lot of money for me but I just have to acept it. Bottom line is I can't build a kit for less then that! If you build one from Stratcb, I'll.cost a ton of money! I need a starting point! And this is it I think?

Bottom line it if I build a kit I'll cost me &30,000 compared to buying a turn key where I can up grade it!its a hard choice but that's the way it is!

Bottom line it if I build a kit I'll cost me &30,000 compared to buying a turn key where I can up grade it!its a hard choice but that's the way it is!

If you think it takes $30,000 to build a nice T Bucket, you're not doing enough research. A VERY nice T can be done for half that or even less.

Drew... I'm with tfeverfred on this. Wit you being a machinist and a bit of scrounging I think you could build one for what the asking price of the one you're looking at. Why not think about building a very basic plain-jane car and evolve it to that you want over a period of time. Leave it in primer and drive for a while. Make any changes you want over a period of time. Come winter fix anything major and complete. Quickchange rearends are good looking but S-10 rears are cheap and plentiful. If you still have to have quickchange then change it out later and sell your factory rear to someone else that's building a T. Just something to think about.

One other thought on QC rear end assemblies. The Franklin unit is really a race racing piece. If I were to use one it would be the Winters 8 3/4 05 the 1o" Champ depending on power. When I built the #1 proto Scarab in 2006 I chose the 10". The company has produced close to 30 of those cars todate with no problems with the Winters unit todate and they are all street cars. About two years ago I built them a continuation Miester Scarab and I used the smaller 8 3/4" unit that is very close to the Halibrand units used in the late 50s in the original cars. These cars are intended for vintage racing and will see the track just like the originals. You might consider one of these rear ends as they are very cost efficient compared to building a 9" Ford etc from the ground up. My personal choice would be the smaller 8 3/4' unit.
www.scarab-motorsports.com
scarab-aluminum-body-roadster-1958_8 | Integrace Motors

Just for the record, in no way am I trying to promote this company as I was only a contractor for sever projects for them in the past. Just using it as an example. I'll try to post some construction pictures with the QC rear later. Hope this will give you some food for thought. Good luck with your project. And damn I miss those F-14s!

George

Thank you so much!!!i need to do a lot more researcthank you so much for your feedback. I think I'll just buy it for $11,250 and make the best of it . It's almost everything I have in the bank but I can't look back, I just have to do it and I'll save money over time and still have my toy to play with!!!when I look at this
As a true hobby where'll I'll love every minute of work I do to it, it all seems worthwhile! Everyone needs a hobby and I don't think anything comes close to this!!! Thank you so much for your support and feedback as I could never do this without you!!!

In this new picture can anyone tell me something about this franklin rear! I can't find any pictures of that type of cover, thanks Is it hard to get parts for?

What picture?

Thank you so much. Is that a vintage or a late model unit? Also there not manufactured no more? Is it hard to get parts for that? Thanks

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back