Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Upgrade Special for DynoSim 5 to Dynomation 6

Indycars

DynoSim 6 and Dynomation 6 engine simulation software is out now.

I have the DynoSim 5, but Motion Software did not have an upgrade path for DynoSim 5 to
Dynomation 6. They had the usual 5 to 6 within the same software, but I wanted to step up to
the better software Dynomation 6.

I sent a email to Motion Software and asked about upgrading to Dynomation 6. I got an email
back from Larry Atherton saying that I could get a $100 off the regular price of $499.95. You
might know his name, he has authored several books. I asked about this being available for
others and he agreed to the same price for others thru the end of this year.

So if you have DynoSim 5 and want to upgrade to Dynomation 6, you can get it for $399.95 if
you act before the end of this year. To get the special price you will need to contact Larry Atherton
at the email address below.

I asked Mr Atherton about using an asymmetrical cam lobe and he responded ......

You can model asymmetric lobe profiles. That is, if you import a lobe-profile file that models an
asymmetric lobe, that model will be used by Dynomation6. However, if you use 10-point cam timing
place to model asymmetric 10-point cam file, also. That will be “activated” in a future (free) upgrade.

latherton@motionsoftware.com

Dynomation-6 Engine Simulation

This video is Dynomation 5, but you will get some sense of it's capabilities.

Can't say I'm surprised that no one is interested in spending $400-$500 on engine simulation
software. But I spend most of my waking hours thinking about it myself.

I've done lots of simulations for others. So if you have an interest and are willing to give me
the details, I would be glad to run the simulation for you and post the results. Just let me know.

You might want to start your own thread, instead of adding to this one thou.

You are a glutton for punishment! We need to get together and plan my “good” motor.
Bring it on brother !

Some kinds of punishment actually feel good !

It might be kind of interesting to see what the software predicts for my new 632 . . .
Ok, finally someone willing to talk HP ..... yippee ki yay !!!

To start with this is what I need. You know the saying ..... Garbage In, Garbage Out. So the better
the info the more accurate the results.

Bore & Stroke:
Rod Length:
Heads with flow numbers:
Combustion Chamber Size in CC’s:
Dome Volume: For a domed piston use a (-) negative number.
Valve Reliefs Volume: For a piston with valve reliefs use a + positive number.
Deck Clearance:
Head Gasket Bore:
Head Gasket Thickness:
Valve Sizes I/E:
Intake Manifold Model Type [Single or Dual Plane]
Model #:
Carburetor Size (CFM) or EFI Flow Rating:
SCR & DCR: Or the info to calculate SCR & DCR
Header Tube Diameter: Small, Medium, Large (1-5/8", or , or)
Cam Card from Manufacture
Cam Installed per Cam Card, Retarded or Advanced and by how much.
Rocker Ratio:

I used to use the old motion desktop dyno software, there were a couple versions. I designed my stroker on it, found it to be useful to match components to achieve desired results. It wasn’t anywhere near $500.00 though. As a hobbyist, I have a hard time justifying the investment.

I like running these simulations for others and I knew there would never be another chance
to save a $100 towards the purchase of a higher level simulation software. Yes, I did think
about the cost for a couple a days before acting.

I'll play for kicks :bore/stroke 4.060 - 3.75
Rod length. 6.0
Heads Brodie ik200
Chamber 70cc
Dome +5cc
Deck clearance. .020
Head gasket. .026
Valves 2.055 - 1.60
Intake edelbrock street TR
Carb 2-450 from
Static comp , estimate 10.4:1
Header tube 1 5/8
Cam card adv due. 292-300
@050 232-234
Lift ..490(at valve)
108 LC
I know nothing of these HP calculators. , Do you get torque also ?

I like running these simulations for others and I knew there would never be another chance
to save a $100 towards the purchase of a higher level simulation software. Yes, I did think
about the cost for a couple a days before acting.
I’m just not nearly as active in it lately. If I was still doing it, no problem. Whatever makes you smile. Five hundred bucks sure isn’t what it used to be!

Here you go 2old2fast!

I had to make several guesses, so the numbers may seem high. To get more accuracy I would start with the complete cam card. As it stands now the cam has 80° of overlap, which is alot and may not be correct.

Sim01_CamManager.JPG

Sim01.JPG

Indy are , thank you so much , I'll look around tomorrow and see if I can find the cam card . An old friend of mine who has passed was an outlaw racer (,fairly successful) helped me pick out parts , his guess for what the output would be was very close to what your program shows . Be fun to play with cams and induction to see what gains could be made. Thank you again

Indy are , thank you so much
You are so welcome!

Be fun to play with cams and induction to see what gains could be made. Thank you again
Sounds like a plan that would be extremely fun!

We have only scratched the surface of what Dynomation6 can do. Below is just
for the header dimensions.

DynomationVariables.JPG

They're a bit hard to see but the numbers are in the margins . Green is torque , red is hp. Mine shows 500+ torque 450 + hp

Last edited:
Cam lift. Valve lift. Lobe centers.
.325. .488. Int.. Ex
106. 110
Adv. Dur. 292 Int.300 ex. 050 dur. 232 int. 234 exhaust.
Adv. Timing. .050 Timing
BTC ABC BBC. ATC. BTC. ABC. BBC. ATC
39. 73. 79. 41. 10. 42. 47. 7
Indycars, this is all I have.about the cam..
Well crap , my tablet rearranged the columns so they're not inline vertically, I give , it took forever to get the initials past auto correct

BTC ABC BBC. ATC. BTC. ABC. BBC. ATC
39. 73. 79. 41. 10. 42. 47. 7
It all makes sense, except the line above. Must be valve timing number for both "seat to seat" and 0.050 lift, just not sure what order.

Sim01 is the first one and Sim02 is with the updated cam timing. Your numbers are not
completely valid, but it's ONLY one degree. The intake centerline of 106° and the intake
valve timing numbers were different by 1°. If I go back and try to correct one then it changes
the other one. But it's only one degree, so not a big deal.

You will notice that the "Cam Acceleration Rate" (shown previously) is only 2.28 which is
pretty low and why you have 80° of overlap. The new numbers did not change this parameter.
This cam will be easy on the valve train with it's slow opening/closing ramps. Changing out
the rockers from 1.5 to 1.6 or 1.7 would help with the slow ramps.

Ok, so Sim02 will be the baseline that future simulations will be compared against.

What do you want to change now ??? What do you want to have.... more bottom end,
more top end, broader flatter torque curve ???

Sim02ComparedToSim01.JPG

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back