Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Using Internet Explorer - Read this thread

Mike

Since we've upgraded the forum site to Invision Power Board, we've had several members with problems properly displaying the site in Internet Explorer. The common complaint is that 'other sites work'.

I've been trying (along with several others) to recommend people use any browser other than Internet Explorer, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears. One member pointed out to me that Internet Explorer is the most popular browser out there and he was quite correct. However just because everyone that has paid the Windows tax on their PC has also ended up with Internet Explorer doesn't make it the best browser out there.

And I'm going to use a remote and independent site to drive the point home.

The particular computer I am using is a Dell PC, running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. Nothing special or spectacular. I have visited the test site with Chrome, Safari, Opera, Firefox, IE8 and IE8 in Compatibility mode, which emulates IE7. Look at the test results -

Google Chrome -

chrome.jpg

Safari -

safari.jpg

Opera (version 10.01) -

opera.jpg

Firefox -

firefox.jpg

AHA! Firefox failed to score 100 on the test!

Now let's look at IE8 -

ie8.jpg

Do you see what I've been trying say for the past week? Internet Explorer comes up a loser.

Here's IE8 in Compatibility mode, emulating IE7 -

ie7.jpg

Don't believe these examples? Go visit the Acid3 Test and try it for yourselves. The test is set up to 'trick' browsers and as you can see, Internet Explorer not only rises to the bait, but ends up gut-hooked.

I realize I am probably wasting a lot of zeros and ones here, but for the umpteenth time, not all browsers are created equal. I use Firefox almost exclusively and I have trouble with one Web site. My bank's Web site is optimized for Internet Explorer, so I cannot log in with Firefox. But I damn sure don't use IE, either, because Opera logs in just fine.

If you prefer to cling to Internet Explorer, I certainly understand. As for myself, I prefer a browser that works.

Thanks for the lesson Mike. I converted to Firefox about a year ago and never looked back. I've never had any issue with this site before or now when running Firefox. I say this while using IE8 at work we I am not allowed to add programs to our machines without permission. IE appears to work fine also, so I'm not sure why others seem to be having issues.

One other reason to switch to Firefox, Chrome, or Safari...less viruses!
hr.gif

IE appears to work fine also, so I'm not sure why others seem to be having issues.
Different network settings and different firewall settings can come into play here, as well. If someone is blocking javascript, things will start working oddly. Blocking cookies will turn things upside down.

It's one of the reasons I try to test all of my sites with different computers, different operating systems, different browsers and different ISPs, to eliminate all the little things that can sneak up and smack you.

People install a security package and spend the rest of their days thinking their Windows computer is safe from outside cracks and viruses, when nothing could be further from the truth. When you cannot generate an accurate report of what ports Windows has open to the world, how can you ever develop a set of firewall rules for it? :thinkn: Some firewall settings can make a Windows box more vulnerable than it was without the firewall. If you pay twice as much for a Windows security package, is your computer twice as safe?

It seems our discussions on Internet Explorer (a.k.a. Exploder) are timely.

Here is an article from the Micro$oft Developer Network Blogs, dated just yesterday. Notice how positive they are about how well IE9 stacks up against the competition. :whisper: Just don't let on that Firefox 3.6 is already in the wild, as is Chrome 4. :rolleyes:

I also see how proud the MSDN is that they are CSS 2.1 compliant. Reckon we should ask why they're pounding their breasts over that bit, when other available browsers are already CSS 3 compliant? Once again, that will be Micro$oft, bringing up the rear.

Care to see how your browser stacks up against CSS 3 code? Click on this link and see for yourself.

css3.png
Those are results of that test run against Firefox 3.5.5. :yay: Read 'em and weep.

Just for grins and giggles, I went ahead and installed Namoroka, which is the pre-release project name for Firefox 3.6.

ff36b4.png

And guess what? It also passes the CSS3 test with flying colors.

It scored one point higher on the Acid3 test than did Firefox 3.5.5, with a 94/100.

The Mozilla wiki on Firefox/Namoroka can be viewed here.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back