Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Water pump woes

Today I re-tightened the belt by moving the alternator as far as it would go. Took it for a cruise, showed 13.3 volts at the gauge right off the start and no squeals. So . . . gotta keep that sucker tight as a drum. Hope that doesn't burn out the alternator bearing. :confused:

Zero dollar fix. The best kind. Those bearings can take quite a bit of side load. And if you do wipe out a bearing, some of them are easily replaceable, some not! Good to know the squeal is gone.

Once again you guys come through with great advice. A big THANK YOU for your help in solving my issue, that turned out to be something other than the water pump. One of the things I liked about "cleverly" locating the alternator on the lower passenger side of the block (took some re-engineering of a standard low-mount bracket) is the nice clean look - the alternator is almost invisible. The down side: it makes the belt-wrap marginal on the crankshaft pulley, and I now realize makes keeping the belt very tight a critical issue.

This board rocks!!!

Alt bracket.jpg

Spanky you have helped a bunch of us with our problems so the forum is working! The bracket you used looks like the one I have so it’s good to know it works. Lol

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back