Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Web site closing. . .

Spanky

Staff member
For those who may not be aware, RPM is closing down this site and all should move over to the T-bucketeers page on FaceBook. It costs Ron $150 out of pocket to keep the site up and running (not to mention the aggravation), and he just can't sustain that. So . . . he has graciously agreed to put it up for a short while, to allow any of you who may wish to do so to archive some of the material for your own use. Time is of the essence so get busy!

Fellow bucketheads, I cannot stand by and see our site go under. I have been talking with Ron Pope and he has kindly paid to reactivate the site for a month, and start the process to turn the site over to me. I am going to try to keep the site going. The problem is MONEY. It takes $150-$200/month from member donations to pay all the bills. And we haven't been making it. Ron has been keeping us afloat from his own pocket. And he has a business of his own to run.
We need all members to chip in every month. $5, $10, whatever the site is worth to you. I will do the grunt work, swell fellow I am.

Potvinguy
PS: I know zip about running a website, so join me on this adventure!
PSS: the place to donate is on the first page, so get thee there and do it!

I had a feeling that was going to happen. It seemed that only a very few were donating to cover costs. I pay for our hot rod clubs website out of my pocket. My cost is not near as much as what Ron is/was paying. I don't know how many active people this forum has, but 10 bucks or so from each of us maybe could keep it alive.

I had a feeling that was going to happen. It seemed that only a very few were donating to cover costs. I pay for our hot rod clubs website out of my pocket. My cost is not near as much as what Ron is/was paying. I don't know how many active people this forum has, but 10 bucks or so from each of us maybe could keep it alive.
I'm going to beat the bushes for a while, try to get our donations up and try to find more advertisers. Some active folks have been paying little or nothing, and that must change. Put it in your calendar, first of every month feed the kitty and keep our site alive!

I have been donating $20 for years now so I’ll continue to do that. This is my favorite site and want it to continue. Thank you PG FOR DOING THIS.
I am a glutton for punishment. And I know zip about running a website. So hang in there with me and I promise to give it my all. I have met many great folks on this site and would hate to lose them and all the great tech resources.

THURSDAY, APRIL 21, 2022: TO ALL MEMBERS

Ron Pope wants $2000 to sell the site to me. I'm reluctant to front the money myself, not knowing if we will be in the black month-to-month. If 20 members give $100 each I can buy the site and keep it running. Please email me directly dr.kerrysmith@gmail.com if you want to participate. I told Ron I would have an answer for him this week. I've asked Kristy, Ron's daughter, how much we have now. She handles the money. I will keep you all updated.

NTBA charges $30/yr membership. Nonmembers can't view or post. What do you think of that? I notice many "guests" visit our site and don't contribute.

I have been going to this site first many times a day. I would hate to lose the friends I have met here. I can do the $100 and $20 a month to keep it going if that would keep it going. I think a yearly contribution is a good idea moving forward.

Bill, ORF, IG, you are blessed. I have 6, including me, so far. I hope as other members visit and read the announcements we can make the nut.
If I get the site there will be changes, notably some sort of membership fee. NTBA charges $30/year. I have some ideas how to make this painless for members and ideas to get some money from the freeloaders ("guests") who read the site but pay nothing. And the site has bills to pay.
And I welcome all ideas for improvements. It's OUR site.

Yea! Do I read right Ron will take monthly payments from the PayPal acct.? I have already set up the PayPal donation as when Ron had it. If that number changes I can re do it.

No. I am setting up a new PP acct just for tbucketeer, details to follow. From it I will pay Ron $2000 lump sum to give the site to me. After that all donations, dues, fees will go to the new acct and I will pay the bills from it. No mixing site money with any personal money.
FYI, I'm making this up as I learn how it all works. As long as the members want the site I'll give it my best shot. I really don't think it is so hard, but we have been for a long time enjoying the site and many pay little or nothing. Gotta change; the site has monthly bills. Write me dr.kerrysmith@gmail.com with any questions or ideas.

I mentioned it in my email, but thought I'd throw it out here; . . .

How about a "Partnering Member" group , sort of like the "contributing member" label for those that put in a $100 or more towards the buy?

I like the idea of the annual fee to maintain your membership. $30 is a very reasonable cost for an annual membership considering the valuable information and entertainment we all receive from from this site. And $30 can't hurt your pocketbook too much. That breaks down to $2.50 per month. Chicken feed.

Recommendation:
Offer it to Verticalsope.
They do a very adequate job of running automotive forums and I know this one gets more traffic than some of the others they keep around. Some of the forums I use can goes days without a new post.
The advertisements that keep the lights on are very inobtrusive and there are benefits to the community when administration isn't dependent on a single person.

FRIDAY, APRIL 22: TO ALL MEMBERS

Ron Pope wants $2000 to sell the site. Otherwise he kills it. If 20 members give $100 each I can buy the site and keep it running. Please email me directly dr.kerrysmith@gmail.com if you want to participate. So far I have 7 members who have stepped up. We need $1300 more or the site dies. If $100 is too much for you then $50 will help.

No one pays until we have commitments to cover the $2000. If and when that happens I will explain the procedure (I'll set up a new PayPal acct just for tbucketeer money).

NTBA charges members dues. Nonmembers can't view or post. I think this is the way to go. I see many "guests" visit our site and pay nothing. And our present "donations" aren't charity; the site has monthly expenses! If I'm the next admin we will change to some dues structure. I like the idea of a recurring monthly payment of $5 from your PayPal or credit card so members don't have to "renew" or do anything. If it turns out we are solidly in the black the payment might be less.

I don't see any options. If Ron doesn't get the $2000 the site dies. And if the site isn't worth $5/month to you then I'm wasting my time. The admin doesn't get a salary, just the glory of doing all the grunt work to keep the site running. I love our site and I hope you do too.

FRIDAY, APRIL 22: TO ALL MEMBERS

Ron Pope wants $2000 to sell the site. Otherwise he kills it. If 20 members give $100 each I can buy the site and keep it running. Please email me directly dr.kerrysmith@gmail.com if you want to participate. So far I have 7 members who have stepped up. We need $1300 more or the site dies. If $100 is too much for you then $50 will help.

No one pays until we have commitments to cover the $2000. If and when that happens I will explain the procedure (I'll set up a new PayPal acct just for tbucketeer money).

NTBA charges members dues. Nonmembers can't view or post. I think this is the way to go. I see many "guests" visit our site and pay nothing. And our present "donations" aren't charity; the site has monthly expenses! If I'm the next admin we will change to some dues structure. I like the idea of a recurring monthly payment of $5 from your PayPal or credit card so members don't have to "renew" or do anything. If it turns out we are solidly in the black the payment might be less.

I don't see any options. If Ron doesn't get the $2000 the site dies. And if the site isn't worth $5/month to you then I'm wasting my time. The admin doesn't get a salary, just the glory of doing all the grunt work to keep the site running. I love our site and I hope you do too.

If we can only get 8 or 10 folks to put up the buy money, I for one, would be willing to kick in $200 (10 buyers) or a max of $250 if only 8 step up.

Thanks IG, ORF. I'm hoping members will be on site this weekend, see the notice and step up. And a few others have indicated they would do more if needed. Cross your fingers...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back