Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Welding class

Jim B

In about 3 weeks, I fly up to my brothers shop in Colorado to build a roller. I have been having all the parts delivered to his place. We have 6 days to get as far as we can. He is the welder and hotrod builder, I am apparently the "swamper."
25536.jpeg 25538.jpeg 25495.jpeg 25546.jpeg

Well that's one chassis where the welds won't be smoothed off, nor should they. Pretty weld are always a pleasure to see.

I was a state certified welder, done it everyday for years, but my welds didn’t look like that. I could but it wasn’t necessary for what I was doing. I’ve seen some very talented welders that make most of us look bad, lol... Ron Pope can weld too!

What kind of welding is best to do on these frames when building them? I started with the MIG, tried the TIG and then found that my stick welder did the best welding with penetration

What ever gives you the best penetration. I'm more comfortable with stick welding, but I only have a small flux core MIG.

The type of weld that is best depends on the finish you want in the end. The penetration has a lot to do with gap prep regardless of the welder. We use Heli-arc (TIG) to do our rails and frames. We prep them so the welds can be ground off flush on the outside and smoothed down a bit on the inside. This makes for a strong and nice finished product.

CCR Frame Kickup Detail (1).JPG CCR Frame Kickup Detail (4).JPG CCR Frame Kickup Detail (6).JPG CCR Frame Kickup Detail (7).JPG

What ever gives you the best penetration. I'm more comfortable with stick welding, but I only have a small flux core MIG.
Yea I found that my stick welder gives pretty good penetration. I had a brand new mig for a few weeks but took it back cause it screwed up on me

The type of weld that is best depends on the finish you want in the end. The penetration has a lot to do with gap prep regardless of the welder. We use Heli-arc (TIG) to do our rails and frames. We prep them so the welds can be ground off flush on the outside and smoothed down a bit on the inside. This makes for a strong and nice finished product.

View attachment 15926 View attachment 15927 View attachment 15928 View attachment 15929

I wasnt sure if a tig would be "strong" enough to weld on a frame as such. Plus im not a pro at TIG either lol but I can do it. I just finished mine with stick welding and then ground it all flush down too to get a nice smooth surface. That is some nice looking TIG welds though

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back