Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What are these?

Neshkoro

Hi,
I got these about 20 years ago at a Hershey, PA swap meet. The hubs have been redrilled for a Chevy bolt pattern 5 X 4.75. It looks like the original bolt pattern was 5x5. Any idea what year/ make they might be?

SDC10726.JPG SDC10727.JPG SDC10728.JPG SDC10729.JPG SDC10726.JPG
There are no backing plates or brake drums.
Thanks,
Bill

Thanks Spanky and RPM. I'll be out of town for a few days. When I get back, I'll get more information. They did come off an old I beam straight axle.
Thanks,
Bill

I believe they are 1948 to 52 Ford F1 pickup spindles.
That style spindle had a steering arm that was part of the spindle on the passenger side, but on the drivers side the steering arm bolted in thru a hole in the spindle.
This was because the drivers side arm looped back around to become the draglink arm as well.
Guess it was just too big to make as one piece.

I believe they are 1948 to 52 Ford F1 pickup spindles.
That style spindle had a steering arm that was part of the spindle on the passenger side, but on the drivers side the steering arm bolted in thru a hole in the spindle.
This was because the drivers side arm looped back around to become the draglink arm as well.
Guess it was just too big to make as one piece.

I agree. I'm running a pair of them on my bucket. Actually, I used two passenger spindles with the arms chopped off and Chassis Engineering arms bolted into place.

Well, I finally got around to checking the dimensions on the spindles. They are, in fact, 42-48 Ford spindles. The dimensions all match.
Thanks to all of you for your input.
Thanks Spanky for the diagram I printed out.
Now I just have to figure what I want to do with them!
Bill

Sorry but they aren't.
42-48 car spindles DON'T have a bolt on steering arm on the left and the right has two tierod holes instead of 1. (42-48 car is cross steer so the additional hole is required for the steering drag link.)
If you went by kingpin dimensions you must also consider that the 48-52 F1 spindles will fit directly to a 42-48 car axle (as Nobux previously stated.) so kingpin dimensions will be same.

I have a pair of 39 round back car spindles, a pair of 47 square back car spindles, a pair of F1 spindles and a pair of 56 F100 spindles. All are different looking...but all except the F100 spindles will fit on any early Ford car axle up to 1948.

Post the part number off your spindles.

SDC10734.JPG SDC10735.JPG Here are a couple of photos of the numbers on the spindles.
I don't thing there is ,much to go on but here they are.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back