Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What does your T wear for underware?

Alfwulf

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
The topic description is really what I would like to know. Undercoat, paint, primer or just bare fiberglass? I have even worked on a Cobra Kit car working on the cooling system but never looked to see how the fiberglass body was left underneath the car?

I thinking it needs something to keep the fiberglass from breaking down?

Thanks and pardon my lack of fiberglass body skills.

The underside of my car is completely smoothed and painted the same as the topside.

Jim

Considering the quality of Jim's ride and the level of workmanship, I am not amazed at his answer. Alfwulf, letting lt be or simply smoothing it and painting it with matt black frame paint would be nice. Just depends how much energy you want to put into it.

I used "Do It Yourself" truck bed liner on mine.

I also used it inside on the floor. Gives a nice no-maintenance nonslip surface when getting in and out.

Mike

My Spirit body has a black gel-coat finish on the bottom. Almost looks painted. My T sits so low that it's not likely anybody's going to be looking at the underside. And I don't have the self-discipline to clean the underside on a regular basis anyway, so it doesn't really matter how it looks! :shrug:

The underside of my car is completely smoothed and painted the same as the topside.

Jim

Mine is painted like Jim's---with plenty of clear. It makes it easy to wipe clean. I can see where using a bedliner might work, but most of the do-it yourself stuff I have used is pretty thin...

When I paint the body I stand it on its nose so painting the bottom is the same as painting the sides or anywhere else. Tip it back upright, add some sort of decorative firewall and you're done.

Jeff

I used "Do It Yourself" truck bed liner on mine.

I also used it inside on the floor. Gives a nice no-maintenance nonslip surface when getting in and out.

Mike

Mike I also thought about using bed liner on the floor. As for the underside that what make these cars so interesting. You can do the same as others or be an explorer. However if advise suggest doing things differently can preserve all the hard work I like that route.

Thanks All. I will be posting more progress on our school project in pictures soon.

Lee

I think bed liner would be more durable than paint. A lot of road rash gets on the bottom. On the "T" that they built in Street Rodder and the Track T by Zipper Motors they used it also.

I was at my girl friend's place the other day to give her my present.
Isn't it interesting just how little time expires from the last second of delivering your love seeds to the next nano-second when your mind switches to a new subject.
So, I was looking at the mirror on her ceiling and thinking it would be cool on the bottom of my car. Then I realized it would probably get broken, I'd get a flat
driving over the bits and face spend another seven years of bad luck, propbaly only winning PowerBall once or twice. So, I went home.

Incidently, bare underside fiberglass may be damaged by stone chips or driving over your crankshaft, but what kills fiberglass is exposure to ultra violet.

Incidently, bare underside fiberglass may be damaged by stone chips or driving over your crankshaft, but what kills fiberglass is exposure to ultra violet.
[/quote]
Thanks that is what I figured too. I saw the underside of Ex-Junks car this week.

It is as shiny and pretty as the outside. AMAZING!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back