Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What is a "Typical" T-Bucket ride height?

Driver50x

What is your frame height at the front and rear? I am building my suspension brackets, and I need to know where to mock up the frame height.

There are so many variables. I would suggest iinvestigating some build plans that match your tastes as far as how low you want it to ride, etc...

My frame is not what you would call "typical" as I built my car lower than most. However, my frame measures 7" in the front and 9 1/4" at the rear kick up.

Jim

Build it as low as you want, but the changes made for engine/tans/rear end is where it will be looking funny or take up too much room inside so as to not be comfortable.
I like to build where a softball can go underneath everywhere without touching, which also helps with the scrub line of the car. JMTCW

Think scrub line and oil pan clearance.

Mine is 7" at front and 12" at kickup. But my car is 2 ft longer than typical T:
Q4fqpC2W6UuQhxhnd-OrnlcftAQnaBsX8IOgu_-uGHj6kqKsIVi2hyXhmQ4Ik2MUGwqLUXFS5cbTTK_sprfLnVdCSdM3QqQJndPskHt17K-HYEynhc4EY0xkVfS8kENRKzN-ySo__HX7AwwAMRSIgCa7k5cA82_igB6EpaQa-vlrxKnOzRuYT0anCII0SLUvTiNHPGVVZXV4N6CX21EUv0Lgv4VreWfxJeKRYhYQbqfE3BbWp7k1U8sElR-JWSbPy2_2AYQPV6TbIbGSa0Z-oKjAF3DYYvHOCTCfCEroTskeClbN4KTLbMabrXYTFpmYZEwcPynmWTaQoJSBuY5_ieCLxaWWGaBr0HZ8mRlNYaeSVMUtuTrkj0jRtkHf8eYSWAE3KYcfyctWhqz1c1jgECbgNRRJqMM4Y5bw4NQKDsbuMH04EJ_kvvZH2E1mdblU76cYT8XZsDDVyhv_KbzcG16p17sQCm6yggS0OeTPt7usPTvMjpzwWWaQbO93hI3c7IqymxasnH87jy1Got5i9T8dRlz8OHWHF54Y6y0qmryTPau5REqXkJdt9RIaq1Bx3n3_yzrY6nXGv2t3pbkW3fjpI_-pYWxdZNBWYvlMc5A-MkmXfcwJaYhsvTtw29pwUp2loBOm1tFnmX3P1qbr7vAjJwCP8T5Xu7ly-sdcGprCNw=w631-h229-no

Note how low the engine is in this old pic. I was always banging pans. So I raised the engine a couple inches and it made all the difference. And the engine looks better set higher.
Note that I kept the engine parallel to the frame. The spark plugs are 4-1/2" up from the frame rail. Some set their engines parallel to the ground. And some set them at any old angle, which just looks goofy.:whistling:

With the engine set higher:
bt_3ewjGFo3HNgY6udlSGNwEs7JQPc3NWPFQPdyORX2yXUm3kaeMZ6_uJt7FyinqT44B2kgKWVubS2KRq_XVQ4_XkLNC6DLdiJqyEz6_xe7j2oki0zpDdsrTh0vtixijO_ijz3T4WqnBY4MfI2n6R7TPLoWHFDHgVvAxQJAaZhjFxEl5sRjI4o-EFbbO0BEEtX5oNKSQMnBraOkUH8a9jX2Jy9kYWBPIwFA3XCxdO93WZp9Nb0nQhfTCzKFoOKlWekTMS1EZBmPikJkEtrsj_JjDDSuOpqG6mO_aAxOG-HSg90HcsTerAJWNXCDj3vZfNmzIgAmKd7n_O05RMS6jl-ai1sKdvg7ZTeMmDcsZ0-sZSEw16yscJzUS1bMmuU5HW4F74BdsH4GuJcFsjhKu9DEhLoA8uSW_fEpvr_oWpGuhBZ8-n4Ve6qS1UDnFJldeyn_m6QerIzK1kdVWT22XZSC2YnOpzWLAE3ur5Cnavn5UWSvhqJzZmsmvMZEyey0eUgBxWXLrF4I-Mqy1euBLLLE8sNmCHDoQ3PutDJWFXmebg0VNdb1_KV5DGxAicQj7oQHFcF5WqF-o-tYYcs8ySrfT-drA_GeA_j9qsOcIJd3CKSwvC-94Nwx6r8I2Ilozhh_xuPfnPqYSkvf4mcg7PBxNWsNOQ1LC2Vcr40FMV2aRng=w889-h347-no

Now isn't that better? And no more pan bashing.:geek:

Thanks guys! I am not trying to build anything super low, I am just want to set it at a "normal" height. The pictures are especially helpful. I like the engine up higher also, as I will not be using a blower or tunnel ram.

I just finished building my frame and front suspension, as shown in my avatar . I have not mounted my engine or rear suspension yet.

As you know your spring perch height will establish the front frame height, and the rear will be determined by the shock/spring mounts. Any of the plans already out there are good for safety first with the scrub line, and the rest for [looks]. KISS is a good philosophy to follow. Even the early Masters did it this way and just changed the body/body styles to make them unique. Most T's will look very similar. If Ted Brown was still here, he would have revolutionized the T-Bucket market with the under slung suspension and soft ride IMHO.

As you know your spring perch height will establish the front frame height,
The leaf spring can factor in too. I removed the smallest leaf from a new one to soften the ride and lower the front a bit. There are monoleafs and even composite monoleafs that would have different ride heights. There's a firm, VBP, that makes the composites for Corvettes and they said they would make one to my specs. For a princely sum, I assume :eek:

I measure 3" from the bottom of my Slam-Gard oil pan to the pavement. I've encountered no problems with it at all. Part of that is because our roads are quite good down here in Florida. I also approach speed bumps slowly and cross them at somewhat of a diagonal.

Jim

Driver, here's how I raised my motor: Yes, just a hunk of hardwood 'tween the mount and the motor. I had planned to replace it with an aluminum block, but once it was painted I just forgot and it's been fine for 4 years now.
fPRMczOgeiHEMJYwYuDmIS0Cw1yofX3bFlx4YCbA0JCPcdqA9fQiKPXPBWuGDZz_CQmLENeh42kV8U21v96fFw4CVBehQauYBiU55TSIuOChOtRdRZX1peJSOLB5y6OIbemd4eaQ-CL_u3bbBFZyIZsdz6ZtNiXHEH79-v4P-YClIkY4-ZTfYiIMqyGeuH_umCd5E95EG7X15kjstPBKYSNbxZpWFXgkMyTGEexJ7DoovaWrYo_BL1KrwbdyYTZopRPZEZHYhU6Q1AeE1h0F_Q-7F7-5Ovso7qd1xNHg9Btl-hxFhK1Klu-gxLmAsZ2abKBAqUr9A8zJ01E0KYyOVdOBcVKhx5gAE--MJnJ7hPvn68kjPBpUvDDiQMmhUGCDHvZidqPl9_NHpJ57Rnox1sDjG0Eykry_YGtkS33Umw6EwxlhRLrS8ey_bBTRl1uuOexayqErtP10yGlsPVCcUbbxCpqxBFNkyRp8Az1O2k8rUmsEbvszW9OQId3YuluwaVxby_XsxVg_zFfOAMoVtnNUCvfaGUAY5M1QGbxHj-1aiaCIf6Dlhzo9cSrIteJ14WH7P8adppQwql7TnD4Yzcc-23Hc6D70lEilBuHeIpiENV92ob2kifUw37BNMGr1aWCbV4Q3qOWYCkLkOCowlwdJ9WMHu1_LnkfbNMYw6-1QPw=w922-h692-no

I decided my height based on a house brick. If its high enough to miss a house brick its good to go, at least for me.

front height.JPG

side on.JPG

Nice looking ride, Gerry. I even like the 'Ralph Cramden" steering wheel!:thumbsup:

(PS - FYI: Ralph Cramden was the bus driver played by Jackie Gleason on The Honeymooners TV show.):D:roflmao:

PS - Gerry, what year body-style is yours? Looks like a '15, but with a later year cowl . . . o_O

Its a 15. Cowl is pinched in like the 15 and shorter than the 24. Bit of artistic licence in there as well.

i set mine up for 5 inches of oil pan clearance but now that everything has settled i have more like 4 inches should clear most things

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back