Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Where to find steel wheels like these?

MDrex

These are the wheels on my recent purchase. I want wider ones for the rear. Can anyone tell me some good places to look for wide rear wheels that would match these front wheels?

DSCF2855.jpg

Enough teasing, pictures please!!!

Ron

Coker Tire is a vendor for Wheel Vintiques and carry a good selection in stock. They even had some custom made ones done for me on several occasions.

BTW, if those are truly 5 x 5 1/2 wheels, they are '49-50 Mercury wheels. The hubcap mounts on the outside of the center section on those wheels and they are 15 inch with the early Ford bolt pattern.

Someone did a nice job on your new purchase, it looks to be very solidly built and neatly done.

Don

MDrex said:
These are the wheels on my recent purchase. I want wider ones for the rear. Can anyone tell me some good places to look for wide rear wheels that would match these front wheels?

DSCF2855.jpg

I went with Pete Paulsen wheels, they did a great job, were only a week waiting and the cost was around $100.00 each.....These are "Vented Jenny's", 5X15 on the front and 10X15 rear. The Centers are "Raw" and the rims are chromed. I plant to put caps on em so I don't care that they have a multi bolt patern.... "BH"
http://www.petepaulsen.com/index.htm

1558015.jpg

Not a real good picture of the rear wheels......
_SideView.jpg

I'm pretty sure my wheels are actually 14". I want to go bigger in the rear tho, and wider. I am going to double check the bolt pattern, just to make sure the last owner was correct. Now I have confused myself tho, I can't remember if he said 5x5.5 or 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

I do have a set of 2 17x8 chrome Bullitt Mustang rims sitting at home that no one seems to want to buy. I have thought about getting some 17x10.5 Bullitts for the rear, but that would cost me more than just some steelies. This is just a learning prject for me, I don't see me keeping this car very long and don't want to dump much money in it.

I don't think you want those Bullit rims on an otherwise traditional looking hot rod, they would be out of place IMO.

Now that you mention it, your wheels look more like 14's than 15's. Just read the sidewall on the tires. You need to match the bolt pattern of whatever rear end is in the car, and I would put 15's back there. You need a rubber rake and too small of rear tires just don't look right, you need some height to them. Post some pictures of the rest of the car so we can suggest more.

Don

MDrex "What are some good inexpensive tire options for 15x10 wheels? And where would I get them?

I'm running (I'll say courtesy of Lumen Al who went WAYYYY beyond the call of duty and I still owe him BIG TIME) BFG Radial T/A 285 / 70 R 15 o nthe back of mine.

They're about 31" in diameter and I needed the tall tires for highway cruising.

It's a Radial and doesn't have the "vintage look" but I drive the heck outta this car and really don't care too much about it not fitting any particular style. Don't get me wrong, I love vintage and retro styled rods, I like the Fad T look, I like the Street Rod T, track Ts, really dig the track T "Dirt Track" styled rods, I just don't have mine nailed down to one "theme" or whatever. The BFG Radial was the diameter I needed to move down the road and Al just happened to have some for sale.

I like 'em, they're good tires, you can get them for just over $100 each and they fit my 15x10 rims quite well.

T-Odd said:
MDrex "What are some good inexpensive tire options for 15x10 wheels? And where would I get them?

I'm running (I'll say courtesy of Lumen Al who went WAYYYY beyond the call of duty and I still owe him BIG TIME) BFG Radial T/A 285 / 70 R 15 o nthe back of mine.

They're about 31" in diameter and I needed the tall tires for highway cruising.

It's a Radial and doesn't have the "vintage look" but I drive the heck outta this car and really don't care too much about it not fitting any particular style. Don't get me wrong, I love vintage and retro styled rods, I like the Fad T look, I like the Street Rod T, track Ts, really dig the track T "Dirt Track" styled rods, I just don't have mine nailed down to one "theme" or whatever. The BFG Radial was the diameter I needed to move down the road and Al just happened to have some for sale.

I like 'em, they're good tires, you can get them for just over $100 each and they fit my 15x10 rims quite well.

Right on T-Odd...... Just as a reference, the Rear tires on the last picture I posted are BFG 285X15 mounted on 10X15 Paulsen Vented Jenny Wheels. The Orange Front wheels in those pictures are 5X15 Paulsen Vented Jenny's with BFG 155 (? I think...can't remember..). The white front wheels are MOPAR 5X15 with some Volvo 160x15 tires. I tried to get the 160's when I bought the new tires, but they were too hard to find and the BFG's more or less matched the rear tread design......Hope this kinda helps..... "BH"

Baby Huey said:
I went with Pete Paulsen wheels, they did a great job, were only a week waiting and the cost was around $100.00 each.....These are "Vented Jenny's", 5X15 on the front and 10X15 rear. The Centers are "Raw" and the rims are chromed. I plant to put caps on em so I don't care that they have a multi bolt patern.... "BH"
Paulsen Motorsports Home Page

1558015.jpg

Not a real good picture of the rear wheels......

Then I took this picture and suggested to BH that he could tack in some "fake" lugs in the holes that aren't being used and make it look like ya got 10 lugs on the wheel...

Like is (poorly done) example:

bhwheel.jpg

it's a fun cool look... BH said, "Won't see em after I put on da Caps..."

:)

I checked the boly pattern and it is 5x4.5. I really want 12" wide wheels on the rear, 15" or 16" is fine with me. The wheels on the car now are only 14" wheels, so even a 15" would be bigger than the fronts.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back