Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Which rear tires?

wsdad1

Which rear tires would you recommend for a street driven t-bucket? Why?

My priorities are, in this order:

big and wide
long lasting
inexpensive
traction

wsdad1 said:

big and wide
long lasting
inexpensive
traction

I'm running Hoosier Radials 29x 15.5015 on the rear and I like them.

The fronts are BFG Sport Comp TA 205x6015
DSC00064.JPG

I run the mickey thompson s/r smooth ride 31x18x15 radials they are quiet traction seems alot better than old mickey thompson sportsmans nice treadpattern. Long treadlife Big and wide and inexpensive don't usually go together.
deda_1.JPG

wsdad1 said:

big and wide
long lasting
inexpensive
traction

31/16.50R15 Hoosiers and 165R15 Kleber fronts

ArtinthePark53071.jpg

Two years ago, I took at survey at NTBA when I was building my Tee. Hands down, the most popular tire there was the Hoosier. That is what I chose and I couldn't be more delighted. They aren't cheap though, but I don't think that there is a better handling, longer wearing tire in a fat tire.....

I'm running BFG T/A Radial 285 / 70/ r15, they aren't super W-I-D-E like the Hoosier or the MT tires, but they work for me.

At about $100 each they're a LOT less expensive than the Hoosiers or the MTs also.

I say they're a lot less expensive... unless you ship them across the country - right LumenAl?

1525193541_fa698ab089.jpg

edit:forgot my image

3 for 4, maybe 4 for 4

big and wide
long lasting
inexpensive
traction

I run 18/34x15 dirttrackers and always have. Had Firestones, now have American Racers (cause I got them for $37 for the pair new on Ebay) and have just bought some Hoosier dirttrackers from Hoosier Discontinued Tires webpage that are in storage right now for later. They are big and wide, inexpensive, and you cannot beat the traction with any other tire. Hoosiers and especially M/T's will spin. Dirttrackers just plain hook. And they will last long enough depending on how you drive and keep the correct air pressure in them. I run tubes in mine. Dirttrackers are not DOT approved because they only have 2 ply sidewalls. Thats why I run tubes (bigass tubes) and they hold air better with tubes. Make sure you check your air pressure at least once every month, prolly sooner. I did not one weekend and did alot of cruising and wore out the edges with only 7 lbs in them. I normally run 12-15 lbs. The first set of Firestones 16.5/32x15 I had lasted close to 4 years.

BT

Blown T, how are they in the rain?

I've heard the Hoosier Radials are 100% better in the rain than the MT (dangerous) Sportsmans.

the new American Racers are fine in the rain, and I did get caught in a doosy last Nov on a Sat nite). My old Firestone were spooky but I think that was because there was not much tread left. I think as long as you have some good tread left and some good channeling to get the water out from under the steamrollers then ya oughta be OK.

T-Odd said:
I've heard the Hoosier Radials are 100% better in the rain...

I'm a fan of the Hoozers. At the MH Nats in 2006 I got caught in that big storm coming back from Bull Shoals. I was able to drive at 45 mph through the worst of it with no slippage at all. I did lose it a little coming through the river that was running off the old K-Mart parking lot, but the water was a couple inches deep! :eek:

Ive run 18.5 wide 31.5 tall Hoosiers on buckets over the last 10 years and I like them. They look good, and handle well if you get caught in the wet

I currently have 19.5 wide M/Ts because I got a "great deal" but I hate them and they will be sold on at the start of summer and I will go back to Hoosiers again.

My bucket is large compared to most I have seen, (2450 lbs 105 inch wheelbase) and the big tyres keep the scale about right.

If you have a small bucket, then smaller tyres can often look pretty good and they are way cheaper to buy

Cheers
Todd

rpm.. ive been looking for a new back tire for my t and i keep coming back to the firestone dirt track my problem is that i have very little room between my box and the back tire (5/8 inch)now your firestone that you use are they close to the advertised size im looking for the center section size like my hoosier say 12.00 center section but after on my car they are 13.00 wtf.im now looking at the firestone dirt track tire 14.7 center section (with spacers) is your tire close to the advertized size when you got them and how do you like them

I have had the Firestone dirttrackers. If you do not have much room they WILL rub. They might not rub going straight or over bumps but when you turn a corner you will get some sidewall flex and will stand a good chance of the tires rubbing against the body. I would want atleast 1 1/2" clearence between the body and tires to allow for tire flex and movement.

Another thing to consider is the overall height. My last two sets of tires were 33.5" and 34" tall. On a 15" rim that makes the tire about 9" taller than the rim. That makes for ALOT of sidewall movement especially with only 12-15 lbs of air. So you would get alot of sidewall movement going around a corner. I have seen several buckets with black marks on the body.

BT

i dont wont to hijack this thread but i just received my tires and was very pleased what i got for $100 a tire the only thing i dont like about these tires are that they are so soft now i can see why they only last one year of driving.i drove my car yesterday felt very good they didnt roll very much nor bounce.i realy didnt think i was going to be able to spin them very easy with my 456 locked rear and them being so soft but didnt notice much differance there.over all i think i would rather buy a set a year then pay $500-600 bucks for a set of mt or hoosier

Which ones did you buy?

Ron

im not at home with my t im on vacation in punta cana but i think they are 31 tall 14.7 center section 12 inch tread and im running 10 pounds they seem to run fine with that psi they were so soft that i took my motercycle tire iron and put them on myself but i couldnt get them to inflate my self so i took them to les swawbe

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back